Service Master and Judson

Bill Sauers, a 22 year Service Master franchise owner who is running a 5 truck operation did extensive research before making a decision on a new truckmount purchase. Bill contacted other Service Master national franchises and asked their opinion on equipment.

100_3020.jpg

100_3022.jpg

One of the units Bill owns is a Judson that is approximately 15 - 18 years old. The other 4 units are name brand heat-exchange units that have exhaust diverters, solenoid switches, temperature sending units, relays, automatic shutdown systems, and a lot of wires going everywhere. He has been repairing his name brand heat exchange units on a weekly basis just to keep them in service. After spending all those repair hours on complicated heat exchange units, Bill was very familiar with the design and function of name brand heat exchange units.

100_3023.jpg

When he first saw the Reactor Bill could not believe his eyes. I explained to Bill that the only control on the Reactor was a $5 car thermostat to prevent the unit from overheating and that allowed the system to stabilize with the radiator. I explained to him that basically if there was going to be a failure in the system, it would be a $5 car thermostat that could be found at any local auto parts store.

100_3024.jpg

100_3029.jpg

One other feature Bill liked about the Reactor is that it heated more volume of water than the unit he was already using. He also liked the fact that the pressure pump pumped cold water only and the regulator operates with cold water. On all his other trucks he has never had a supply tank. He thought that the 80 Gal. fresh water tank was going to be a big help to his company on jobs that did not have water.

100_3027.jpg

Bill picked up his Reactor today and I thought I would post some photos. Judson and Service Master go back a lot of years to around 1973. We have about 30 Service Master franchises using the Judson equipment in the Southeastern U.S. The Judson Reactor has a 125 Gal. stainless steel recovery tank and an 80 Gal. Stainless fresh water supply tank.

Bill only needed the base unit. He kept his hoses and reels off the old unit. The price of the base unit was $15,500. The Judson Reactor uses a tremendous amount of stainless steel and the cost increase of the stainless is around $1400. Judson has one Reactor left at the old price of $15,500.

PictureorVideo227.jpg

PictureorVideo252.jpg

PictureorVideo236.jpg

resized_reacto2_op_800x598.jpg

Scott Rogers

Les, what are the pressure restraints on the H.E. and Radiator system? Can u run 1200 psi for tile work or would it blow out the radiator?

Jay D

Name
Jay D
Les what size blower is that and at what rpms do you run them? What type of muffler are you running on that unit and were did you get it? On the muffler is it 3" in and out? Just curious cuz I may replumb my 47 this winter. Thanks

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Congratulations hopefully all the franchises will follow for servicemaster.

Rex Tyus

c_adkins said:
Huh, I thought they only ran CDS', Butlers and Vortexs'. very cool

I have no idea what their contracts call for or anything about them for that matter. But I did see one running a TCS with a little Giant heater a few weeks ago.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Very nice......

Now take a big 1400 ud and put a roll up door on both sides and off set one of your units on both side with a 200 ft hose reel and solution line next to them and plumb them into one water tank that sits over the rear axle

you would have the ultimate duel wanding machine...and a good back up if something goes wrong with one of them...

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu
1226272669.jpg
...he to will be a very happy carpet cleaner with the reactor
it,s just a great machine.

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu
1226277961.jpg

yep. on mine it is
with 0.0 hrs in the shop for repairs
im doing a job over the next few days with hose runs of 350ft(hallways ,3rd,2nd ,1st floors ,6 buildings) with no problems (i do them every 2 months)

Greenie

Should call it the Reactor 210 high flow. Lots of TMs won't hold 210 with a Greenhorn wand....but htey advertise 230 all day long...the devil is in the details.

MerCrewser

Any chance Judson will have a unit with a #5 blower and more industrial engine in the future? 210 with high flow sounds real good to me.

TimP

I'd love to see a 59 blower or at least a 56 blower judson dual wand machine.....capable of being run in different RPM loads so that you can under drive the blower for single wand. Of course plumbed right with dual 2.5 ports, and a bayco relief. If it was priced with tanks and reels for say around 25...I think they'd have a winner.

Farenheit251

I owned both a SM and a Servpro franchise. SM you could do just about whatever you want. Grow volume,pay 11% on time and don't get complaints is all that really matters. The complaint part is optional if you are doing the first two.

Greenie

MerCrewser said:
Any chance Judson will have a unit with a #5 blower and more industrial engine in the future? 210 with high flow sounds real good to me.

I do believe Judson would build you one if the money was on the table. Diesel or gas?

Scott Rogers said:
Les, what are the pressure restraints on the H.E. and Radiator system? Can u run 1200 psi for tile work or would it blow out the radiator?

Scott, The maximum pressure you can run the Reactor is 1200 psi. The radiator is on the engine cooling system, not the high pressure side.

MerCrewser said:

James, We have units that have 408 blowers that are equivalent to number 5. These are tri-lobe double splash Sutorbuilt blowers. As far as engine choice...I'm not sure what you mean by a more industrial engine. What is more important when it comes to engines is fuel consumption, replacement cost, and common available parts that can be found locally.

Greenie

Les has Roots, I just bought a roots from Judson a few months ago, but he likes the performance specs of that T-408, it is a nice blower.

I was gonna ask Merc the same thing, if you are single wanding, the idea that you need larger than a 47 class blower is nuts, do you want to build a dual wand machine? Les does have his Truckmount Re-engineering program up and running, you send him the parts you want to re-use, he does the rest.

TimP

The reason we want a bigger blower is so that we can dual wand and do it effectively. If you can dual wand with 2 greenhorn wands with the 48 blower then that's fine. But Personally I think we may need a 59 blower to do it effectively. Which probably means we are going to need a larger engine to do this.

As far as engine I agree we want fuel efficient. I'd like it to have fuel injection and use the least fuel possible to get the job done and also have a long life span to it too. The reactor works on the idea of using a water cooled engine for the heat system. And they don't make them much bigger in the Kohler line in a gas burner. So having to go to another brand may be required or at least moving to the line of diesel engines kohler offers. However I don't know what size of engine will be required to turn a 59 blower at 15" hg and around 700 cfm. Powerclean seems to think you need a 52 horse diesel and a 60+ horse gas...... Judson possibly could do it with a smaller engine??? I really don't know.

Walrus said:
Why not stock roots or sutorbuiilt blowers that would be cheaper?

And Cu, what's next an ad for Burger King the place you eat lunch on your van?

Jimmy, The price difference between a stocked blower and a Triflow is only about $500.00. There are some advantages in the Triflow. It's a double splash lubrication that holds a large quantity of oil in the gearboxes. It’s built a lot more heavy duty than a standard blower. The reason we started using Triflows was to design a truck mount that is as quiet as possible. If you look at the photo of Jerry Valentine's Reactor you will see that we use silencer's

Jerry's Reactor was so quiet with silencers and the new Triflow blower that there was absolutely no noise coming out of the blower exhaust. It was too quiet. It was quieter than the engine on the unit. The cost of Jerry's silencers was about $800. Now look at the photographs of the unit that was recently sold to Service Master. You will see that there is an automobile turbo muffler instead of silencers. The part number is 17715 and can be bought at Advance Auto Parts for $19. Now you might say that is being cheap, but look at it this way, we can now use the best blower on the market and not have to buy the $800 silencers, and now the total system is costing about $300 less to manufacture.

Judson uses the most common local available parts possible. This way when there is a breakdown or need for parts, it is no big deal, you can just run local, get your part, get it on the unit and get back to work immediately. I’m going to post a link to Sutorbilt’s Triflow blower info page. Also, I did an interview with Sutorbuilt at Connections and we talk about the new Helicoil blower and the Triflow in the interview.

http://www.gardnerdenverproducts.com/Mi ... 2734&n=152

k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT9KcFWcjGUk]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom