service monster and taking business to next level

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
ok..just signed up for trial..here is my problem. I am not very organized with keeping track of leads, calculating P&L and keeping my loot on track. The disorganization is probably costing me at least 1500 to 2K per month. I am rolling solo and I know I am soon going to need a helper..I get at least 3-5 specific inquiries daily..not looking for just cleaners..but specifically me. I close 80-90% of the people I speak to..I am very good with pre conditioning the customers and my price points are fair.
I cant stay on top of everything and do the actual work myself..so hopefully this will take some shit off of me.
I also would like to hear peoples experience on how they went from a one man to maybe a two..If I dont make changes, eventually I will lose the business so I am swollen to that point now. I'm a control freak about stuff so I am actually scared a little..but I am also proud that if I didnt do good work and stuff than I wouldnt have this "luxury" problem..

Thanks Guys,

Jarred 8)

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Letting go is the hardest part.

Just know you'll never "grow" on your own.

You have to let go of the work, your fears and your issues with all of it.

Think about it....what's the worst that can happen. Little bit of customer backlash....Not enough to break you.

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
If you want off of the truck get off. work on being a great manager!

smastio

Name
Steve Mastio
Jarred - systems.... have systems and if possible automate those systems through streamlined technologies like Service Monster, Quick Books and FittleBug. I agree with the others on control freak. You must learn the Ron Reagan approach to development - "Trust, yet verify"

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
why not use quick books? Its done a good job for me and im about as computer stupid as they come. I think quik books is only about 150 bucks

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I think you can generate mailing labels to do mailers. also most accountants are familiar with quikbooks so if you ever have a problem alot of people are familiar with it

smastio

Name
Steve Mastio
"good gravy, Service Monster is SO much more than just Quick Books."

Agreed!!!! Being in the software space, it is always a challenge to build tools with applications that fits "EVERYONES" goals. Bottom line is, as soon as you build it, someone wants it different. Right tool for the right job! Quick Books is a great accounting tool, but don't try to make it a Contact Management tool or anything else because all that will happen is you will get frustrated. Just like I would not try to suggest that my tool "FittleBug" is a contact management tool. It is not. It gathers data and allows for exporting, but Service Monster is the tool for contact management. FittleBug is the tool that helps guys like you get more clients (marketing), so you can put them into Service Monster to manage and then do the accounting through Quick Books.

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
still..you need a tablet or ipad to use it on the road or fill out stuff in the custy's house..correct?
What I am trying to achieve is this..
In lady's home, after I am done checking her out..I whip out the ipad/tablet or whatever to take an inventory of the work to be done..key the stuff in to make a work order ( obviously everything will be pre loaded)..then I can also add notes..she hits a button in agreement to the job..then I put it away, grab the equiptment..do the work, get paid..and the invoice goes out automatically. Looking sharp and professional..because that folksy free room give away tie wearing shit is not gonna cut it in soho..
Is this possible with SM?

hogjowl

Idiot™
I honestly don't know if that is available yet for an IPad and such. I know it is possible with my laptop and I have taken it in the home to process credit card purchases before, but never used it on estimates. Filling out the customer information, room dimensions and creating an estimate/work order seems way to cumbersome. I think I will stick with my piece of paper and preprinted estimate sheets for the in-home stuff and input the information when back at the office ... until something different appears.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Yes Service Monster mobile 2.0 is available for the IPad and other Tablets.

It will depend on the service you are getting in their home as to how fast it works.

I've been taking notes on paper in some places and then emailing paid invoices after the job, inbetween jobs or when I get home.

No complaints so far....But most of my customers found me on the internet so they are email savvy.

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan
lust1kiddo said:
I am not very organized ... The disorganization is probably costing me... I'm a control freak about stuff so I am actually scared a little..quote]

I hear you loud and clear. I'm the same way unfortunately. The control freak issues are from you overcompensating for your lack of organization in the other areas of your business or life. It could also be a result of a mild case of adult ADD.

The suggestion of getting systems in place is the best suggestion right now.. that's what I'm focusing on. Work the systems until it's second nature. Then get gadgetry to make those systems mobile. Otherwise you'll be an unorganized, stessed out, out of work carpet cleaner with a cool ipad that your won't need anymore. Sometimes in an effort to simplify things we make them more complicated. I'm sticking to paper invoices for now like Marty.

If you can grab ahold of some of the $1500-$2000 you've identified you're losing due to your unorganization you could easily afford to get quality part time office help or train a tech to do the work up to your standards.

These are all good problems to have... see it as an opportunity to grow your business but make smart decisions. As others have said there is no silver bullet. It may be a combination of things to achieve what your want.

Good luck and keep us posted..
Bill

T

TomKing

Jarred
Great first step on getting service monster. Start where you are at and begin to use it. In a few months you will have data you can use to manage your business.
Customers with not give a rip if you have an I pad or not. A really nice invoice you fill out and give to them when you finish will be fine.
Service monster will print really great route packets ever morning for you to use. If you have been to SFS they talk about using color folders. We do that with the route packets for our trucks each day. It works out great.

On the thought people have on getting off the truck and working on your management skills. I would suggest you pull some individuals that are close to you and ask for some honest feedback.

Do they see you as a leader?
Would they want to work for your?
Can they see you managing a team during hectic times?
Do they see you as a calming force?
Do you bring out the best in others?

If you don't hear some of the people that know you best give you some confirmation I would stay with a helper and enjoy the freedom you now enjoy. More reports will mean less freedom. You have to perform at your best every day. High performing teams need it and expect it.
Don't ask your family they are not your best resource. Pick five people who have worked with you in another job. Professional who manage others in ther job. Stay away from people who do not have a sales or production number they have to meet on regular basis.

There is a really good book called now discover your strengths. Buy it and do the online assessment. It will help you make this decision.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom