SEwhO???

Mr steamer

Name
Shane
The folks that built our site have done a great job of confusing us as to how to get to the top of Google searches(or even just show up). I know that this is something lots of us are working on. That said, where do I begin to get to the at the top of the listings for my area? Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Anybody able to help this guy out. I sent him over here this morning. On a plane right now heading to Florida for the convention. He is a good guy starting out on his own after working for others a long time.

I'm not expert in this area at all and always need help.

Thanks!

Mark Saiger

Beeks

Name
J.R.
there are alot of different variables that will determine how well your site ranks. Some being time your site has been active, alot has to do with mass amounts of content, another being your competitors knowledge of the SEO game. If i were ranked on first page i would be able to help you out better. Though i did get myself to the first page of yahoo and bing, i did alot of reading on SEO downloadable tools, and worked on getting as much web presence as i could. Sign up for sites like yelp, YP, Kudzo, and so on and so forth. Read read and read some more,Good luck!

Reactions: Mr steamer

Mr steamer

Name
Shane
there are alot of different variables that will determine how well your site ranks. Some being time your site has been active, alot has to do with mass amounts of content, another being your competitors knowledge of the SEO game. If i were ranked on first page i would be able to help you out better. Though i did get myself to the first page of yahoo and bing, i did alot of reading on SEO downloadable tools, and worked on getting as much web presence as i could. Sign up for sites like yelp, YP, Kudzo, and so on and so forth. Read read and read some more,Good luck!

It is a new site so I guess it will take a while. People are finding it and I am booking jobs from the site. I am trying to become more consistent. I seem to bounce from page one to two. Ever use city grid?

Mr steamer

Name
Shane
no i havent, please elaborate

The guy called me today. It is a pay-per click program. They are partnered with Bout everyone besides google and they give you a dashboard from which you can monitor your traffic. You set a cap on what you wNt to pay monthly. It is the paid services of city search. I wasn't real sure about it that is why I asked. We are currently showing up on the first page in my area and our site has only been up for a month. The people that built it gave me some tips and they might possibly be working I just can't tell because some days we are high some days not. Consistency is what I'm hoping to find. Is seo all just a crap shoot? Also I have a square space site rather than Wordpress.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
http://www.google.com/webmasters/ Lots of information you can trust.

Also you can search natural SEO to learn the right way to build a site.

If the SEO guys contacting you are promising front page results that require paying them a monthly fee, they're likely gimmick guys, and Google works hard to stamp out gimmicky websites.

Reactions: Bruce Humphrey

Beeks

Name
J.R.
i wouldn't necessarily call it a "crap shoot" there is definitely some logic involved, wish i could help more, im just not educated enough on this toipic to give much useful information.

Beeks

Name
J.R.
agreed, you have to be careful on who you hire, more times then often the guys calling YOU are not good ones to use

prodrying

Beeks is dead on with everything he is saying from what I know. I have actually been going to a class a couple of times a month to learn how to do this and it can be quite involved. Sometimes it can take a brand new site 2 years to rank. Besides what Beeks said you need to have at least a 100 pages of content (500 words per page). There are very specific ways to optimize the content. Also try to get as many links from other peoples sites to your site without giving them a link back. Every time you link a page on your site to another site it is like giving away any power your site has to the other site. So many things you need to do to rank organically but it can be done.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
A properly optimized Google Places page might be a quicker route to first page exposure. Yours is not optimized.
That should be your first priority at the moment.

Before you shell out too much loot to this dude, find out exactly how much control of YOUR site you will have if you decide to "cut the cord".

Last edited:

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
welcome Shane. and glad to see you over here Beeks/JR :biggrin:

Shane just search the forums for SEO or straight up ask who ppl recommend for SEO work. there is quite a bit you can do on your own, but you sound like me, which means you need to hire a professional to get you to page 1 of Google. it's an investment but like any good investment, it will pay for itself many times over.

i recommend my guy. you pay him only if/when you make it to page 1 of Google.

Reactions: Beeks

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by The Great Ozhttp://www.google.com/webmasters/ Lots of information you can trust.

Also you can search natural SEO to learn the right way to build a site.

If the SEO guys contacting you are promising front page results that require paying them a monthly fee, they're likely gimmick guys, and Google works hard to stamp out gimmicky websites.

crap..I'm a gimmick.........

Sorry Fred, I didn't know. :D

I should be more clear. The guys contacting you (as in cold call trolling) are likely gimmick guys. There's a chance that they're only trying to help.

Paying a pro to maintain or improve your site is another business entirely.

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
If you aren't experienced in SEO, I would begin with the basics to start getting your site ranked.

1. Press Releases
2. Keyword Targeting (figure out which keyword you want to appear on google. EX: Carpet Cleaning Las Vegas or whatever state you are in.
3. Write articles (submit articles to ezine, hubpages, articlelisted). It may take a little time for you to write an article but if you are writing it about a subject you know about, shouldn't be a problem.
4. Link Exchanges, Back Links. Google WhiteHat SEO for ideas on this.
5. Submit to free directories online: yelp, merchantcircle, etc.

Good luck!

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
One thing I forgot to note above in regards to researching WhiteHat SEO. There are two different SEO techniques, White and Blackhat. Blackhat involves purchasing links from a vendor. Do not do this. It will hurt your site in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom