Sharing an Inspection

Stevea

I thought some might like to see an inspection clip, see what you think.

Consumer had problems with lines in the carpet

th_ShawInspection601521.jpg

Let me know if you enjoy seeing this at all.

SA

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Steve I enjoyed it . Good clip . Was it tension or a deflected needle. I also here if there is a build up in the needle bar it will act as that also.

Stevea

Harry,

I would assume tension due to the low rows. There were many lines such as these in a lot of the installation except for one workout room, which was a different roll. Some were very obvious some not so obvious. High speed tufting can do some funny things at times.

SA

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
very interesting. when you do an inspection, is it your place to recommend a resolution to the problem? if so, what would you recommend for this?

Stevea

Charles,

Good questions. Usually the request has to deal with some one has a complaint about something. In this case the consumer felt the carpet had too many seams in it since some of the lines were in the middle of a couple of hallways and then ran throughout the whole distance in several rooms but in one room used for a workout, there were no such lines. Obviously these were not seams.

I am requested to go and try to figure out what is going on and if it is something repairable, I am authorized to do so, if it is practical. The main thing the manufacturer wants to know is if it is their concern or not, this has a lot to do with what occurs next. Sometimes there may be too much to correct, sometimes it is simply not correctable and somethings the consumer will not accept anything to be done. A lot of variables.

The manufacturer, if that is who I am working for, wants to know what the entire picture is and what is practical and so forth. They make the final decisions but do want the inspector's thoughts. Information is gathered and many times it is obvious to the manufacturer what needs to be done; sometimes nothing; sometimes correction; sometimes adjustments and sometimes replacements.

Here is another example of a situation that is clearly related to the installation and a very easy repair but the manufacturer will not pay for the correction since it has nothing to do with their work.
Do you see the 'line' in the carpet? When one goes out to see this they have to try to determine why the line is there. What do you think occurred?
pilereversalatseam-1.png

SA

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Awesome stuff Steve.

In the top example, I'd also pick tension related problems. Maybe a re tuft unless too extensive?

In the second, installtion problem. Weight on new hot seam, heat and moisture trapped and caused pile reversal.

Should be a relatively easy correction with a good steamer and re grooming?

John

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
To me it looks like it is not straight on a row. Double cut it . It also looks like a spike tractor while seamed using a regular iron. Hard to tell from the picture.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Too hard to tell from the second picture Steve.
If it isn't a seam it looks like a wrinkle. Poor stretching and/or wheeled traffic can cause a breakdown of the bond between primary and secondary. The primary will stretch and wrinkle. Can be fixed with an application of latex to the back and restretching.
If that is a seam, I'm guessing that the seam is peaked. Overstretching and under stretching can both cause this. If it was properly stretched, the carpet backings might be overlapped. Needs to be redone either way.

There are a few less likely things I can think of, but would have to be on-site or get more info.

PS: The low row in the first pic can often be fixed by pulling every third or fourth loop up to match the rest of the pile. You would sacrifice the height of some other loops in the row, but it can be just enough to break up the line so it doesn't draw attention. Also the nap can be twisted down the line to break up the look of the low row, and given some time to mat a little bit from use this will probably cease to be a problem.

Stevea

John,

You have it on the second photo, pile reversal at the seam, ran the iron against the lay of the nap and likely a metal weight of some sort. Fairly inexpensive goods. I see this fairly regularly.

SA

Stevea

Charles,

No it should not happen, have tried to make it do so many times but never could. There is not the heat on the fiber like a conventional iron.

SA

Back
Top Bottom