Sic Pay?

Mikey P

Administrator
do your techs get a base or pity pay if they have a tummy ache and can't work?

do you allow them to draw from their vacation funds?

or tough shit, should have saved funds like the boss has too.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
My full time employees get 3 days paid vacation after 12 months of employment, they have to put in for it two weeks in advance.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Hoody, you are kidding right? 3 days paid after a year of employment! If your serious does it compound each year? In all my experience I have never seen this. The usual is 1 week after one year, and one tight ass franchise that I worked for made you work 2 years before you could take your first week. I give one week of pay after a year. I don't necessarily tie it to the actual vaction but pay it on the anniversary date, and if that happens to be on the anniversary date so be it, but most want to take it when they can do things with their family and that is the only way to go. They can take their unpaid time off (7 days) in a year at anytime they choose but the vacation pay is paid on the anniversary date. GC did it this way and I "liked" it and so did the employees.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
do your techs get a base or pity pay if they have a tummy ache and can't work?
This is almost an irrelevant question, Mike, since the whole sick/vacation/holiday, etc pay is many times governed by the state's laws where you live. Oh, but wait, you live in the "business friendly" state of California so I guess you can do whatever you want.

OK, let's pretend that there are no laws- just do what is right for you and your employees. I had a case like this recently with our housekeeper/cook in the Dominican Republic. We were always hassling each other over how many sick days/ vacation days/ holidays she had used up. (The hassling was in a friendly way as Marta has been with us 11 years and is like a trusted member of our family. But still...)

So I says to her, "OK, Marta, add up for me all the holidays, all the vacation days we are covering and the sick days you think are fair." She told me what they were- I think maybe 30 or so. (The DR has lots of holidays.) So I said "Great. We're going to put this chart up inside the pantry and you mark down and count off on this declining balance how many days you've used over the year. At the end of the year I'll pay you for the unused days." It just took the debate away over sick days versus vacation, etc.

OK, I think in the states you just about have to give holidays off. But check with your state if you can just lump vacations days/ sick days/ personal days, etc. into one big declining balance. Then your employee when he calls in sick can decide- do I want it to come off my "days off" allowance or not. It could make your life easier.

Best wishes. (With employees you are going to need them.)

Steve

PS You should insist on as much notice as possible from a sick employee. And in my book I wanted a phone call- no texts, emails or smoke signals allowed.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
In my opinion sick days get abused, I see where offered as a benefit it makes sense BUT it's abuse is widespread. I don't know how many people I talk to the say I need to use up my sick days or I'll lose them. Or I'm off today using a sick day before I lose it. People have far too many sick days if they are using them for no reason.

My wife works at Sam's Cluband there you must be sick two consecutive days to be paid sick, however if sick a third day you must have a doctors note as to why you were sick. It's AMAZING how everyone is sick two days but recover by the third. :angry:

Here we don't offer sick pay, hell I come to work sick. If I am sick, I'm sick at home or at work, I might as well be at work.

We do allow them to use a vacation days, they have 80-hours, I don't care how or when they take it. They can take off an hour early for 80-days if they want, I owe them 80-hours.

If they are short on vacation or they don't want to burn it up on sick days, I'll even allow them to make the day up with weekend or evening work but few ever do, most just use a vacation day or are just short that week.

Sick days are just gifts, if that's part of you benefit package, that's cool! Just don't expect anyone using one to actually be sick when they are using it.

"I've got to use up my sick days or lose them!" :stir:

Name
PHILIP NICK
Give them an allotment of paid time off based on your business plan then they use the time from their bank of time off for sick, vacation etc.

Jeff Madsen

Supportive Member
Name
Jeff Madsen
We give a week of sick pay their first year and a week of vacation their second year. I really don't care if they're sick or not. As far as I'm concerned they have 14 personal days they can use as they see fit. My only problem right now is we're at the point where we really need another employee - so when someone takes a day it really screws up the schedule - one of the pitfalls of being at the one and a half trucks point.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Our employees earn 11 days of PTO each year to be used however the'd like. sick day, vacation day, etc. This applied for ALL employees ( hourly to salary).

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Like the PTO model best, employees can decide for themselves when to use them.

Especially is helpful with ethnic/religious holidays the company doesn't observe.

KeithCo

Name
Keith Collins
We're the same theory as Greg.
9 Days. 5 days vacation, 3 days sick, 1 day birthday.
The sick days are not bankable.

If you're truly sick...I don't want you around me or the other employees.

Keith

Mike Draper

In the 6 years I've been in business I've missed 3 days of work. I burnt the shit out of my eyeballs and went blind for 2 days after welding. the other day I completely lost my voice. Employees make to many excuses not to work. its pathetic.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
at one point in life didn't call in sick for 17 yrs. Then I started my own business and have been begging to work. We are just fully developing the policies now. A friend of mine in an old business I was involved in was Vice President of HR and she is helping design our policies to fit out company. I want hrs worked time compensation. It would add up to just over 9 days a year and grow with your hrs worked. If you worked for us for 6000 hrs your compensation per hrs worked would be increase. It may seem coplicated but after evaluate how people use their time this seems to be the best option.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I haven't missed a day of work in my working career and would expect nothing less from my employees. Yeah, right.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Some people are different than you doug. I give honest compensation for what they want to do with their time but they are penalized for irresponsible behavior. You have to design a program that rewards people for good behavior and penalize them when they hurt the company.

if they call out they get no earned time for that but can take their hours, they plan ahead and they earn the time for hrs they use, they use their hrs as they use them they can't take weeks of. They are responsible they can earn much more while planning their time off

Back
Top Bottom