Silencer

glenboy

Name
GLEN
I have been running a stoddard silencer for the past 7 years...2" pipe on the ends and I believe a 6" body....replacement cost 320.00..:eek: what are the alternative replacements for these...,?????

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Glen,

You might consider a Universal Silencer (brand name). Here is a brochure.

The probable closest crossover to what you have is the SD series (# SD-2). You may find that this size is a tad small for the CFM you are running, and may want to consider a larger size. I am supposing however that your reason for posting is that you find the existing price a bit exorbitant. However, Universal's offerings are going to be comparably priced.

Some users have found alternative types (not designed for PD blowers at all), mainly for automotive engine applications, to be "satisfactory". To each, his own I suppose. The truth is that for the particular sound characteristics of a roots-type blower, the combo absorptive/reactive silencers, tailored for the resident frequencies, are most effective. That is why Stoddards, Burgess Manning, and Universals are so common.

glenboy

Name
GLEN
Thank you so much shawn...very good info....@.kevin..just got in the door from a night job...cant bend well right now..but I will measure in the AM....

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
IMO the automotive type silencers(mufflers) don't do the job if your turning the blower anywhere near optimum speeds. I've tried on and two mufflers in several configurations and have not been happy with the results. Get the Stoddard/Universal type silencers, even at the higher cost. Just wondering why you need a replacement? These things last a long time if you not sucking a lot of water thru them.

Ed Valentine

Name
Ed Valentine
We used to use a quality flo-thru Automotive muffler (ss) and had absolutely no problems. You might want to look into those at a local store...........................

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
I bet a dollar to a doughnut that it's a a 3-inch FloMaster off-set, great little silencer.

You awake yet Bob?

ya ...i jus woke up...thought i'd get up a little early today....my silencer is the old Steam Genie one off a 45..no holes..just rusty!

ya those 3' Flowmasters worked good if you welded up one end shut and cut a 3' hole in the side...no straight thu sound..but ya HAD to have TWO....to knock the top AND bottom off the sound sine wave....the stoddard is straight thru wit a lot of baffles...

Name
Tom McLaughlin
ya those 3' Flowmasters worked good if you welded up one end shut and cut a 3' hole in the side...no straight thu sound..but ya HAD to have TWO....to knock the top AND bottom off the sound sine wave..

Bob, you must have some serious OCD because that dual set up on your old Steam-Genie 47 was awesome. I loved the way you had one of the FloMasters off the vacuum blower and another underneath the van after the 90* elbow on the blower exhaust. Man alive, that was so quiet, I kept looking at the RPM gauge in disbelief, couldn't believe a 47 blower could sound so subdued.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Bawb called one day while I was standing next to the Rig....

Mid sentence he stops and says.........

If thats on high
You need to speed your truck up!

Tuners ear : )

And boy did I.

glenboy

Name
GLEN
Hey bob, thank you...I will contact you soon...super busy right now...although I was at adams and squirrel today....close to you?..I was in purple van land...

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
Even without knowing how your machine is configured/installed/vented I can tell you with confidence that a double walled dual chamber blower silencer will give you the maximum suppression you may be looking for. I've messed with this for almost 10 years with 3 universal silencers and probably a dozen automotive mufflers (funny how truckmount manufacturers call them silencers). If I state here the actual decibel numbers comparing silencers with mufflers the b.s. around here will stack up faster then can be shoveled. However I will say look at your configuration with all its measurements and attempt to find a Universal brand blower silencer that fits the cfm flow and inlet/outlet pipe dimentions.

Name
Marcus
Even without knowing how your machine is configured/installed/vented I can tell you with confidence that a double walled dual chamber blower silencer will give you the maximum suppression you may be looking for. I've messed with this for almost 10 years with 3 universal silencers and probably a dozen automotive mufflers (funny how truckmount manufacturers call them silencers). If I state here the actual decibel numbers comparing silencers with mufflers the b.s. around here will stack up faster then can be shoveled. However I will say look at your configuration with all its measurements and attempt to find a Universal brand blower silencer that fits the cfm flow and inlet/outlet pipe dimentions.
I have spent 1000 $$ over the past year trying to find blower silencers for my 2 naamco's....been thru 3 and they are some kinda messed up loud mufflers.....don't work...I don't trust any thing that even looks like a muffler...I have 4.5 blowers
The original silencers rusted over 10 years and namco in houston only has mufflers,!
I may look into these stodard silencers Or any others who can tell me where to get a good solid silencer
Thanks
Cap

Last edited:

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Looking around the garage yesterday I found 3 silencers of various sizes. All 2 inch openings. They don't look like they have been used. They are for sale cheap. Anyone need a 1 million btu furnace or heavy duty shop carts. I have about 10 of those I need to get rid of.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom