silk drapes

Luis Gomez

Name
Luis Gomez
Custy's dog peed on silk drapes, I usually pour some quat a lot in a bucket and soak the affected area overnight and then rinse with water. Has worked with cotton, synthetic and rayon drapes, but I have never tried this method on silk. Does anyone have a better idea?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
The draperies are likely ruined. Your formula may get rid of the odor, but will not remove the staining, and in fact that volume of liquid might create an even more obvious stain than already exists.

I was a dry cleaner before I was a carpet cleaner, and in all my years in "the plant" there was not much we could do with urine damaged silk.

While you might recommend a dry cleaner look at the problem, I do not recommend that you act as a subcontractor or as any sort of "go between".

Us dry cleaners (I will always consider myself to be one I guess) are notorious for not taking responsibility for anything we do. Should you be associated in any way with the restoration process, you could end up "holding the bag" if the draperies are damaged further by any of the dry cleaners restoration processes.

Simply put: Run away.

Jose Smith

I agree with Jim 100%. This is not something you want to take on.

Silk should never be partially wet unless you are prepared to deal with the stain that it causes (which is not an easy stain to remove by the way). You will doing more work and spend more time on the "new" stain removal than on the urine stain. You will thus lose money and probably not get it out anyway.

Plus, if these are new silk drapes, you may be dealing with an inner-lining that is a whole other set of problems.

Jose Smith

harryhides

Name
Tony
If these drapes get replaced, try to get your hands on them for "research" !

In that case, I'd immerse the entire panel, flush out the urine stain and allow to dry out in the sun.
If a second flush were needed, I'd be using distilled water.

These are just guesses and like Jim and Jose there is no way I'd take this one on unless they were my drapes.

Jose Smith

What Tony is advising may be a better way to deal with the problem, but inner-lining would still be a huge issue.

Luis, I see that we are in the same area. Feel free to call me if you would like help on identifying what I'm talking about.

Jose Smith
(714) 232-3221

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Luis;

I have been doing a lot of cleaning research on silk for a few months.

I would prepare a hot solution of FiberBrite (powder reducing agent).

With a trigger sprayer, spray the urine stained area with the reducing solution.

With warm water only, evenly spray lightly the remainder of the panel.

Dry uniformly, and check results.

It may not 100%, but it will generally be acceptable.

Larry

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Tony has the right idea. I pick up stuff from the garbage and experiment all the time. If the curtains are long enough they can cut off the bottom and maybe save them. I would ask for the cut-off piece, tell her you would like to experiment with them. I've had customers who just want the smell gone and I tell them it will leave a mark and they are usually fine with it. Make sure you protect yourself, you don't want to own them.

Gene

GRHeacock

Some excellent advice above from the experts.

I would add- the urine deposit has made a water mark of it's own, under the urine- any water will do that.

So, IF you did get the urine out- not liklely- you would still have to deal with the water mark it left, plus the one you made removing the urine, which will be higher than the urine.

I agree- walk away from this problem, unless the customer gives you the drape for experimenting on.

Gary

Luis Gomez

Name
Luis Gomez
Update: I soaked the drapes in 6 oz of quat a lot and 30 gal of water overnight. Odor is gone. Hung them up to dry with air movers around them, they are mostly dry without any water stains. The only problem that I did not see even after inspection is that one of the panels was sun rotted, the affected area is about 2 inches long and I will use fabric tape to fix from underneath. I will take them to my dry cleaner and he will press them before delivery.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom