Simple Way To Spot-Dye

Ernie G

Thank-you Tony Wheelwright, Tony put on a great presentation at our local CCINW meeting last night, and also demonstrated his technique on spot dye-ing with crayons. As Tony says, (it takes patients), but with practice we can make alot of money, and solve problems for our clients. We all got to try it out on some samples that were provided. Can't wait until his classes start, this will be a valuable service to add on. Thanks again Tony.

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu
i make so much money from spot dyes . a dime size spot 25 bucks done in 2mins for the most part, either doing it tonys way or with carpet dye or a mix of both if your not doing it your leaving a lot of money on the floor , anybody wokring apartments needs to know this stuff

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Quickly fixing a bleached out spot was cool enough, but when we were able to make a red stain on a gold wool rug disappear just as quickly...

We have a bunch of guys waiting for the Seattle class Tony will be holding in October-ish.

PS: Tony told us that he can usually stay free at hotels by offering to fix a few bleach spots in trade for his room.

The only problem is getting the bleach through airport security.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I teased him a little about getting his course on-line, since he's on the IICRC distance learning committee.

Some things need hands on though.

Yes, Seattle is on the West Coast :wink: October-ish.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Thanks guys, you were all pretty good sports & it was fun.
Watching newbies tackle a wool rug and succeed almost immediately was pretty cool.

ps, Out of a group of 20 there were 4 Boarders - I think that is a lot more than it would have been a few yrs ago.

Joe Bristor

Tony retired from selling a successful rug & restoration company...
Now he's gonna get rich again teaching grown men how to color?

harryhides

Name
Tony
Will be doing one in Seattle in October and one in Salt lake in July.

Once I'm settled in BC, it will be easier to do one in Vancouver.

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
We just bought a dye kit from Roper. Well they didn't say they were Roper but I think it was. Apparently they had some bad reviews and press on the boards and now market using other names. I just goggled carpet dying and thought I would give em a go. Now, I am not interested in sending me and my people to classes and spending a grand for each truck to do some spot dying that may generate a few hundred bucks a month. But on the other hand the crayon spot dye thing didn't leave a real pro feeling with me and my customers: "OK Mrs. Jones, we are going to spot dye this bleach area in your hall. It may not be perfect but it will be better and the cost is pretty low. But wait! That's not all, the next time we clean it will have to be done all over again."
So far we have had 3 jobs come out near perfect and one just "better". It is easy, fast and permanent. The small kit was 100 to 200 bucks and has paid for itself already with about 5% of the product used. Mostly I picked it up for property management accounts but if it pans out we will use it for residential jobs.
Al
PS Much faster then the crayon dye I used before. I did one spot in about 3 minutes from the time I got the kit out.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Askal said:
"OK Mrs. Jones, we are going to spot dye this bleach area in your hall. It may not be perfect but it will be better and the cost is pretty low. But wait! That's not all, the next time we clean it will have to be done all over again."
/quote]

Presumably, the crayon, or pastels as Tony used, become colorfast upon steaming with an iron.
I found this interesting; maybe a pastel fixative would be a better method (from googling pastels):

"Pastels are sticks of ground pigment mixed with chalk and gum or oil, then shaped into drawing sticks. Pastels cannot be mixed on a palette like paints, but are mixed on the paper by overlaying or blending.
Pastel Fixative

Pastel paintings must be fixed to prevent smudging. Fixative is a resin dissolved in spirits; when you apply it the spirits evaporate leaving the resin to hold the pastel pigment in place. Fixative can be bought as an aerosol or in liquid form, which must be applied with an atomizer, not painted on. Always use fixative in a well-ventilated area."

harryhides

Name
Tony
Al, my class and supplies will not cost a grand ( except for you ).

I do not use kids crayons for the reason you gave, the repair is permanent when heat set.

This process is also reversible ( unlike your Roper set ) if you make a mistake.

Finally your Dye kit does not contain a white dye which opens up a whole new world of uses.
We use this system every day and less than 25% of the time is it used to re-color bleached out spots.

Finally, with solid dyes you can repair rugs, florals and multi-colored commercial patterns.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Art, the pastel fixative is a clear coat. OK for a work of art to be hung on a wall, not OK for a carpet fiber.

Name
Nate W.
harryhides said:

I do not use kids crayons for the reason you gave, the repair is permanent when heat set.

This process is also reversible ( unlike your Roper set ) if you make a mistake.

Finally your Dye kit does not contain a white dye which opens up a whole new world of uses.
We use this system every day and less than 25% of the time is it used to re-color bleached out spots.

Finally, with solid dyes you can repair rugs, florals and multi-colored commercial patterns.

You got my interest peaked. More info where, when, for the Seattle area?

harryhides

Name
Tony
Nate The Great said:
harryhides said:

You got my interest peaked. More info where, when, for the Seattle area?

October 21 or 22nd, Nate.

harryhides

Name
Tony
I believe it will be at the Interlink store in Seattle near the SeaTac Airport - village called Tikwilla, I think.

The Great Oz will know for sure, as it will be part of a CCINW event.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Marc Imbesi said:
harryhides said:

Harry.....you can re-bleach the spot and neutralize again if need be. I have used Roper a long time (almost 10yrs) and it's too damn easy to screw up.

There is no need to re-bleach since before you "set" the Dyes that you have applied, you can easily remove them with alcohol or solvemts or simply lighten the color you have by using a white Dye-Stick.

Here are some examples of what can be done Marc. There is two albums to look at.
You can also use this system to minimize any seam peaking, not that you ever have any of those.

http://s610.photobucket.com/albums/tt189/carpetcorrection/

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
What about around Connections in the City of Sin ?? in September ??

Ooroo,

shiteatinggrin

PS ::: This just saved me an email. :lol:

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
harryhides said:
Will be doing one in Seattle in October and one in Salt lake in July.

Once I'm settled in BC, it will be easier to do one in Vancouver.

Where at in Salt Lake Tony ?

harryhides

Name
Tony
Nothing planned for around Connections Shorty, look forward to seeing you.

Bridgepoint HQ in Salt Lake around July 15, or 16, Steven.

I waiting for an invite from the Kiwis, John so get on with it.

Je ne sais quoi, monsieur.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom