Slide-ins....is your engine strong enough?

lance

There a lot of engine+blower combinations out doing work everyday. I would say the majority are small to medium ones that are used for mostly single wand.

So my question is this: Does your engine bog down when doing more than the average resi or comm. job?

The avg. job is probably 100 to 125 feet of hose. But what if you had to run 250 to 350 ft. hose runs in order to not only do the job, but do it as well as your avg. job? Is your engine/blower combo. (even modified with 2.5" hose, kunkle valve, proper plumbing, etc.) strong enough to pull it off?

Please tell what eng./blower combo. you have and if you think the engine power fits the bill. Especially if you run a 45 or 47 size family of blowers, brand doesn't matter.

I think the plumbing and hose size matters. If you have modified your TM, then tell us what you did and how much you think the improvement has achieved (i.e.--- I feel I have gained a 10% , 20%, etc.) Just go by your gut feeling and your experience with the TM on a before & after comparison.

I hope a lot of members take the time to add in their 2 cents. I bet a lot of cleaners buying their second machine would be interested in the results.

Thank you.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
actually about 10% of that Chris.
the clutch is the limiting factor on a direct drive

Lance, 25-45

the hose length doesn't much matter, it's more about what the blower HG is set at and how the engine handles that load when near or at max HG setting

I haven't had any problems with bog at 14HG (where ours is set)
The engine might vary 100 or so RPM but it will hold a steady RPM with vac capped off

after a million hours on the engine and it gets REAL tired, that might change, but a 25hp is more than capable of handling a 45 blower

Mods I've done to our TM

Greenie clean sweep 2.5" vac port mounted to the waste tank lid.
Modified pool filter (larger opening hose ports)
2.5" vac hose for anything over 75ft hose runs

In the aggregate, it made a very noticeable improvement .
I'm "guessing" 20%.
Of the three mods, I think the greatest improvement came from mounting the vac port on the waste tank lid, then larger port pool filter, the 2.5" hose was the least of the improvements.
But i should note, it's rare we're over 125ft hose runs

..l.T.A.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Spawn said:
actually about 10% of that Chris.
the clutch is the limiting factor on a direct drive

Lance, 25-45

the hose length doesn't much matter, it's more about what the blower HG is set at and how the engine handles that load when near or at max HG setting

I haven't had any problems with bog at 14HG (where ours is set)
The engine might vary 100 or so RPM but it will hold a steady RPM with vac capped off

after a million hours on the engine and it gets REAL tired, that might change, but a 25hp is more than capable of handling a 45 blower

Mods I've done to our TM

Greenie clean sweep 2.5" vac port mounted to the waste tank lid.
Modified pool filter (larger opening hose ports)
2.5" vac hose for anything over 75ft hose runs

In the aggregate, it made a very noticeable improvement .
I'm "guessing" 20%.
Of the three mods, I think the greatest improvement came from mounting the vac port on the waste tank lid, then larger port pool filter, the 2.5" hose was the least of the improvements.
But i should note, it's rare we're over 125ft hose runs

..l.T.A.

POPPY-COCK...... Larry...yor runnin' that POS at 70 -80 % of capacity...whereas i run my little gas sippin' 302 at 10-15 % of capacity.......as far as the Clutch being the weakest link......

YOU continue to convince me that it's the Qwner/Operator!

lance...don listen to most of these yahoos on here...DIRECT DRIVE is the way to go...any thing else and yor on a stagecoach in the 1800's

if yous want the REAL SKINNY....jus axe me!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
bob vawter said:
POPPY-COCK...... Larry...yor runnin' that POS at 70 -80 % of capacity...whereas i run my little gas sippin' 302 at 10-15 % of capacity.......as far as the Clutch being the weakest link......

YOU continue to convince me that it's the Qwner/Operator!

Bob, are you stocking me?
you shouldn't sneak up on an armed man.....

1978 church bus 302's are NOT "gas sipping" engines.
They get appx 13mpg hi-way...down hill..with a tail wind..
your frankinFord 302 doesn't count.
cause most peeps aren't going to remove the fuel injection system, electronics and install 1963 parts

you spin a 47 blower at 1600 rpm...big woop..
Most of us would like a little more than that

so tell me, how many HP is that air conditioner clutch rated for?
How many HP is lost spinning a drive shaft compared to belts or coupler 10" from power source?

Huh?
tell me..say it..SAAAAYYY IITT!!

.L.T.A.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
and i use a PITTS CLUTCH (look it up)........better than ALL the rest AND i NEVER had one go out.....
from someone that has MUSHROOMS growin' out their garage "floor"...
yous ain't got NO ROOM ta talk!

minuteman

52 HP Ford Industrial with a 56 Roots.
2" to the Greene wands.
Have ran out 500' on one wand & 250' on dual with no loss in performance.

Greg

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
bob vawter said:
and i use a PITTS CLUTCH (look it up)........better than ALL the rest AND i NEVER had one go out.....

You direct drive guys kill me, Unless you've got a dieasel they are too much wear and tear on the engine and trans I worked for two Co previously that used them they had butlers and Hydramasters we always had problems with the engines and transmissions that was a long time ago i'm sure they've improved since then but, I run 400 to 500 feet of hose with my 45 blowers Iv'e a 23 horse with my heat exchange unit very little bog 20 horse with my oil fired unit same very little bog at all. :mrgreen:

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
everfresh1 said:
bob vawter said:

You direct drive guys kill me, Unless you've got a dieasel they are too much wear and tear on the engine and trans I worked for two Co previously that used them they had butlers and Hydramasters we always had problems with the engines and transmissions that was a long time ago i'm sure they've improved since then but, I run 400 to 500 feet of hose with my 45 blowers Iv'e a 23 horse with my heat exchange unit very little bog 20 horse with my oil fired unit same very little bog at all. :mrgreen:

maybe try changing the oil.....

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Hey, Lance.

You've run my 25/47 PowerClean. Bogs way less than 100 rpm.

The blower is underdriven, so any gain in power would allow a higher engine:blower ratio. If the engine craps out before I do, I will probably replace it with a bigger one so I can spin the blower faster.

Chris A

Name
Chris
everfresh1 said:

Bob how many hours that Genie of yours got on it? How many engines, tranny's, etc on the ChUrch bUs? Not trying to be a D just curious...

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
i paid (i think) $500 for it EIGHT years ago......yanked the FI engine and tranny and brain out....put in a carb 302 and DE-jetted it!

new brakes..new shocks...new tires... and it's STILL running STRONG no problems other than a fuel pump a while back!
HOURS....???
a GADZILLION....

OHH ya...i riveted some new quarter panel on a few months ago too......

Laugh if ya want about a church bus...but the windows are GREAT when yor backing up a driveway!

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
you guys that say PTO's wear out engines....never had one!

I HAVE had slide-ins...so WHO would know better?

and Chris YES you were being a D.........LOL!

Name
Shawn Forsythe
bob vawter said:
you guys that say PTO's wear out engines....never had one!

I HAVE had slide-ins...so WHO would know better?

That's the problem with these people's anecdotal experiences, Bawb.

Hydramaster had at one time oversped the engines in earlier (non-overdrive) models. That led to overheating problems of engine accessories & electrical components for lack of air-movement in a parked application. Anecdotal and limited problems that some then relate to all CDS systems, which is entirely untrue.

However, that does not stop people from erroneously inferring that PTO/CDS systems should all be damned into the same category.

Chris A

Name
Chris
We usually only keep trucks about 5 years, which puts them at about 100k miles and 5000 hours. The only one we ever had problems with was an older 4.7, non-overdrive, which spun the van motor at ~2500 RPMs. We went through a lot of fuel injectors on that van. The 4.8 CDS overdrives (I'm on my second) haven't had any engine or transmission trouble.

BTW, KMA Bawb! :lol:

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
bob vawter said:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I thought you were past menopause, Bob
you're awful "emotional" lately.
you need some hormone therapy?

i guess the mushroom comment was over the line...huh?

heck no.
I just had to go to work....
BTW, The floors are covered in saw dust right now.
been doing a lot of wood working

you still didn't answer my question though

How many HP is a clutch rated for?

..L.T.A.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I laugh at all of those who "Say" they have hose runs of 400-500 ft and still have suck .

minuteman

Yo Ashley, is that 90 Hp Merced or 70 Hp. as in your profile?

That some power, for a slide in I wouldn't doubt it if you could run up to # 7 Roots with that.

Greg

C

CONNOISSEUR

so lance now your wasting a bunch of valuable bandwidth

when are you going to make your perfect truck mount?

Greenie

The "suck" left over on a looooong hose run ia all about the operating lift the vacuum relief valve is set at, and the torque ratio of the engine to support the heavy Resistance load.

Operator A set at 11"hg will have a lot less suck, than operator B set at 17"hg all other things being equal.

Bob Foster

lance said:
There a lot of engine+blower combinations out doing work everyday. I would say the majority are small to medium ones that are used for mostly single wand.

So my question is this: Does your engine bog down when doing more than the average resi or comm. job?

The avg. job is probably 100 to 125 feet of hose. But what if you had to run 250 to 350 ft. hose runs in order to not only do the job, but do it as well as your avg. job? Is your engine/blower combo. (even modified with 2.5" hose, kunkle valve, proper plumbing, etc.) strong enough to pull it off?

Please tell what eng./blower combo. you have and if you think the engine power fits the bill. Especially if you run a 45 or 47 size family of blowers, brand doesn't matter.

I think the plumbing and hose size matters. If you have modified your TM, then tell us what you did and how much you think the improvement has achieved (i.e.--- I feel I have gained a 10% , 20%, etc.) Just go by your gut feeling and your experience with the TM on a before & after comparison.

I hope a lot of members take the time to add in their 2 cents. I bet a lot of cleaners buying their second machine would be interested in the results.

Thank you.

So Lance, do you even own a truckmount? I thought you detailed cars for a living.

Able 1

Name
Keith
25 horse @ 450' with 200' of 2.5 and I had plenty of vac., the only problem I had with the run was foam.
r]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsQg8txsJoYr]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom