Slow week on Mikey's - this should liven things up

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
I am reposting this from my post on ICS ( figured i'd save Mikey the trouble).
I would appreciate your honest thoughts. NOT reguritated Piranha marketing but your honest thoughts.

Lisa, Shane and the others that responded to my post under the Bishop topic:
Lisa, I appreciate how you feel. Perhaps that was the solution the IICRC had back then, but there has to be a better way. Piranha marketing has made tens of millions by teaching people to label people as unethical. I mean no disrespect (and I appreciate your efforts with the CRI) but can you honestly be unbiased publically on this subject? If you agreed with me it would go against everything you and joe have built your reputations on.. But I appreciate your input and fully support you in your fight regarding CRI
Shane, it’s no secret- I am well aware! The IICRC instructors also used to corner their students and push a particular product and/or manufacturer that they owned or wroked for down their throats! Paying hundreds of dollars for a sales pitch! Talk about bait & Switch! < ad Yes that has pretty much disappeared>
However my point is this: But by openly declaring war on any and everyone that uses similar marketing or employment practices, you alienate a large portion of the industry. I have openly encouraged my contractors and my employees to attend IICRC classes, SFS, etc. However, it is inappropriate to show videos that paint EVERYONE with the same brush.Why should I encourage people to go there only to lose them or have them feel bad about their industry. There are many ingredients to a company. One or two that are shared with disreputable companies should condemn that company.
When they showed a 12 year old anti-couponers video at a VAST class I have my wife and several employees at- they crossed the line. I called Steve Toburen out on this on this very site. Steve openly and publically apologized and promptly removed it from the curriculum. You can affect change by education, etc. Due to SFS – I raised my prices considerably and shored up my operation.
You can educate people as to reasons why they shouldn’t bait and switch. BUT it shouldn’t be an ethical debate as opposed to making it an economical debate. PROVE to the people going to the classes that they CAN’T succeed running a 1-3 truck operation by advertising with coupons. Show them the math. They will be more inclined to run high $ O&O's.
Ethics and morality are a big deal in our country (as well as our industry). Every person has their own idea of what is right and wrong. Does pointing to a coupon and saying “this is evil and immoral” REALLY change anyone’s mind? On the contrary, I believe it makes the accuser look petty, and paranoid.
I will concede that there are a number of people in our industry that shouldn't be (couponers as well as O&Os). The problem with painting people with a broad brush is that good people get covered with the paint as well.
I can easily make the argument that an O&O charging .75 - .95 per sf is ripping a customer off. Interestingly enough there are numerous cleaners in this industry that do just that and are applauded for “RAISING THE BAR”. Unfortunately this makes many consumers think that cleaning carpet is “excessively expensive” (especially in this economy) This perception could (and likely has) resulted in a drop in business. Should I paint all O&O’s as opportunistic bandits? After all- there are O&O’s like this in every city in America (just like low ball couponers)
I have directly and indirectly spent tens of thousands of dollars with the IICRC for education. I subscribe to all of their cleaning principles and have publically endorsed them. Yet, my company can no longer be a firm because of who cleans for me and how I advertise. This shortsightedness is wrong. Mandating how people run their business makes it so that people feel there is no value in bringing IICRC certification into their business.
While my membership number is not #1 it is in the low 14000’s (1992) I believe that the IICRC should go back to educating and allow those that want to join the certified firm status to pass a series of background checks or some other sort of vetting.
Taking my money for classes and dues for 18 years and then saying that I can’t advertise it is wrong! Having rug manufacturers say that you HAVE to use IICRC certified firms and then denying membership based on work force and advertising procedures is wrong! Plain and Simple! Furthermore, the question pops into my head: IS IT LEGAL to force people to get a membership for their company in order to stay in business (not void warranties) and then deny membership based on practices that are common in our industry < AND NOT ILLEGAL> ?
Before you start screaming that I am gearing up to sue – NO I AM NOT! I personally like the IICRC and the steps it has taken to provide training to our industry. I wouldn’t do anything to financially harm it. However, I suspect that there are others in the industry that don’t feel the same way.
There is a flaw in their reasoning and it needs to be fixed. Otherwise others will zero in on it and exploit it. Plain and simple.
The IICRC should remain an education center NOT a police force. Jeff Bishop (someone that I don’t always agree with but highly respect) is surprised that the IICRC wasn’t consulted by the CRI.
My point is this : Why would CRI (or anyone else for that matter) consult the IICRC when the personal agendas of those involved in the IICRC have for years been at the forefront of many of their decisions for decades? Perhaps the new leadership can change the face and perception of the IICRC?

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
I'm all kinds of confused.. first I thought I was reading Jeff Bishops responce.. then halfway down I realized atleast I think that this was Greg's responce to lisa.. then I had to back and change all the little character voices in my head.. dang that hurt. :mrgreen:

So to repond to your post.. can you seperate that little to make it little easier to read?

Ryan

sweendogg said:
I'm all kinds of confused.. first I thought I was reading Jeff Bishops responce.. then halfway down I realized atleast I think that this was Greg's responce to lisa.. then I had to back and change all the little character voices in my head.. dang that hurt. :mrgreen:

So to repond to your post.. can you seperate that little to make it little easier to read?

So I'm not the only one who gives BB personalities voices. :shock:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
My number is #286, hell I remember when the IICRC was IICUC, back when they cared about carpet cleaners before they were into conjuring up scams to line their own pockets.

I don't have a thing against coupon cleaners, I don't even have a thing against having subs, but I do not consider cleaning with a portable on par with any TM cleaning.

I think you're a good businessman and great marketer, but I would question how much better the end product would be if you only had subs that used TM's. :shock:

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I still can't figure out Cole was bitching about. It must be buried in there somewhere. Something about his company can no longer be a firm, or something like that.
OT, I steam cleaned a berber today. Came out great.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Well, interesting. I'm not a fan of the coupon cleaners. From my experience with them on this side of the 49th its all about getting in the door, not really about giving the customer what she thinks she's paying for. Just about every YP ad sounds the same, every coupon sounds the same, they ALL say they will CLEAN the carpet when all they do is enough to make it look clean and their gone to the next job.

If your guys aren't like that, goody. They are the exception rather than the rule.

as for O/O's charging up to 95cents/sf, they are probably doing a hec of a lot more than the coupon guy to earn that extra. I know I am. Just doing a prespray scrub rinse job today (I'll post more about that later but in a new thread), 3rooms and a hall, around 2hrs of cleaning (1 hr set up time-300ft walk to the door!)
What ticks me is that I have to "sell myself" more because people "expect" carpet cleaning to be 10-15cents/sf .... STILL!! Those are 1970-80 prices!! How many corners are cut to make a profit at those prices?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Coupons are about getting in the door or just getting noticed. Maybe just getting in to do the minimum the first time to gain a client.
If you can keep the customer with quality work, then the coupon suddenly becomes worth more than at first.

You may have charged $79.00 and only cleaned the minimum but if you use Service Monster and the "8" step process then you should be able to get them again soon...this time for more of course. !gotcha!

It's a catch 22. You should have to charge more the fist time because of the extra soil etc. and charge less the second time. But some won't even begin to use you the first time if they feel like they are being ripped off.

I don't mind coupons as long as they are realistic and you honor the deal when it comes down to it.
A good Tech should be able to get little more at each job....maybe even a lot more.

Full Circle is cool because they try to qualify the job for more over the phone.
It's all about getting the customer to start thinking about "more" before you get there.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Doc Holliday said:
My number is #286, hell I remember when the IICRC was IICUC, back when they cared about carpet cleaners before they were into conjuring up scams to line their own pockets.

I don't have a thing against coupon cleaners, I don't even have a thing against having subs, but I do not consider cleaning with a portable on par with any TM cleaning.

I think you're a good businessman and great marketer, but I would question how much better the end product would be if you only had subs that used TM's. :shock:

I wish that they all had Truckmounts. Right now, about 25% of our contractors use Truckmounts.
I encourage them to buy truckmounts and even pay a high commission to truck mounted contractors. The difference in % would easily cover the payments of their truckmount plus...

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Ron Werner said:
Well, interesting. I'm not a fan of the coupon cleaners. From my experience with them on this side of the 49th its all about getting in the door, not really about giving the customer what she thinks she's paying for. Just about every YP ad sounds the same, every coupon sounds the same, they ALL say they will CLEAN the carpet when all they do is enough to make it look clean and their gone to the next job.

If your guys aren't like that, goody. They are the exception rather than the rule.

as for O/O's charging up to 95cents/sf, they are probably doing a hec of a lot more than the coupon guy to earn that extra. I know I am. Just doing a prespray scrub rinse job today (I'll post more about that later but in a new thread), 3rooms and a hall, around 2hrs of cleaning (1 hr set up time-300ft walk to the door!)
What ticks me is that I have to "sell myself" more because people "expect" carpet cleaning to be 10-15cents/sf .... STILL!! Those are 1970-80 prices!! How many corners are cut to make a profit at those prices?

Lesser quality = lesser $ , more quality = more $; correct?
Then why do the high $ people constantly get to attack and exclude those that charge less $ and deliver what the high $ people consider to be lesser quality?

If an organization ,which is setting itself up to essentially dictate how people do business, truly cared about memberships it would have a vetting process to identify the exceptions. Wouldn't it?

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Brian R said:
Good God, I have to read all that.
I have a short attention span but I'll do my best. lol

LOL! I agree it is long, but I have read many diatribes from you guys, so please try to finish it.... somewhat amus

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I wish that they all had Truckmounts. Right now, about 25% of our contractors use Truckmounts.
I encourage them to buy truckmounts and even pay a high commission to truck mounted contractors. The difference in % would easily cover the payments of their truckmount plus...
Good deal, in the long run it will save you some quality call backs, better experience for the homeowner, no noisy machine exhausting humid air into the home and no dumping and filling using their restroom, better end product.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Doc Holliday said:
Good deal, in the long run it will save you some quality call backs, better experience for the homeowner, no noisy machine exhausting humid air into the home and no dumping and filling using their restroom, better end product.

Some of the best reasons to NOT run a Porty. I still say with some extra time, you can get the carpet just as clean.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Brian R said:
[quote="Doc Holliday":1lhfdnvs]

Some of the best reasons to NOT run a Porty. I still say with some extra time, you can get the carpet just as clean.[/quote:1lhfdnvs]

Lots of reasons to have truckmounts- the most important is customer perception of value.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Art Kelley said:
I still can't figure out Cole was bitching about. It must be buried in there somewhere. Something about his company can no longer be a firm, or something like that.
OT, I steam cleaned a berber today. Came out great.

LOL- I received photos today of a berber that a O&O in Atlanta yellowed out BECAUSE he steam cleaned it and didn't do it properly. PH is still at 12 ! 11 rooms destroyed!
We quoted $2350 to fix it. Customer paid us and is going to sue the O&O to get reimbursed. 3 applications of Citric acid and textile rinse and it is gone.....
The customer hired us BECAUSE we are clearly the only ones that are BERBER experts!

A skilled cleaner can steam cleaner berber and usually come out ok. However we all know that there aren't many SKILLED cleaners in our industry. Snipe all you want about how we clean berber- but you know I am right.....

Name
Jesse
Greg, that same dipshit is probably doing that to every carpet he cleans.

What you just said is that your techs aren't skilled enough and don't have the training to clean a berber with a truckmount. If you were raising the bar and not just going around it then you'd be able to make the statement that your crews are better because they know how to do it right, not that you do it in a manner that is better for the unskilled THAT YOU EMPLOY.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Out Of Character said:
Greg, that same dipshit is probably doing that to every carpet he cleans.

What you just said is that your techs aren't skilled enough and don't have the training to clean a berber with a truckmount. If you were raising the bar and not just going around it then you'd be able to make the statement that your crews are better because they know how to do it right, not that you do it in a manner that is better for the unskilled THAT YOU EMPLOY.

LOL- you missed my point- reread it- S L O W L Y

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I still say with some extra time, you can get the carpet just as clean
Yea, maybe, but it would still be wetter and do you really believe a sub with a portable is going to take the extra time needed to clean it to same level as a TM?

Not saying a moron with a TM can't screw up carpeting cleaning, but his odds go down by just having better cfm and no humid air exhausting into the home.

Greg
No snipe, but seriously I don't believe Berber is a problem in the industry. It's certainly not for us and we use the same chem's and equipment that a lot of cleaners use around the country.

I don't believe our tech's are any more skilled than any others that have several years experience.

If it is truly the problem you make it out to be, maybe it's more localized to your weather?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Mr. Chavez, I get the generalized statement all the time about subs being "not as good" or "dirtbags" or whatever.
Most subs are O/Os just looking for extra work or dont want to advertise for themselves.

I've got some guys doing work for me who care about their work and want to do it right if only for the shear fact that they don't want to go back out and re-do it. lol

Why do they have to be not up to par just because they are doing sub work.
Employees are worse in my opinion for F'ing up jobs and not caring.

I've seen Dirtbags at all levels...look at Harper. :mrgreen:

Name
Jesse
I get it Greg. It would be hard to start doing it right after you've marketed and trained so hard to do it less than right (not wrong, just the easy way). So you know, I prefer you keep doing exactly what your doing.

Sounds like you charged pretty good for that correction. Did your crew rinse it or just apply a rinse product?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Doc Holliday said:
Brian
It's not that they were subs, but that they are subs with a porty.....one level above a SOA grocery store rental. :p

I hear ya. I was using a sub with a porty for a bit but he was working to get his TM...Which he did.
I definitely felt better about using him.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Doc Holliday said:
Brian
It's not that they were subs, but that they are subs with a porty.....one level above a SOA grocery store rental. :p

It is wOrse than that... :roll:
they are "sUbbInG"...for a FAILED.."stocK-bOy"....brian.... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

"poor bastuRds"... :cry:

SUICIDE IS a OPTION...for "mAryS SubS..."... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"But they would probably..."1/2 ASS ...that procedure ...ALSO".... :roll:

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Doc Holliday said:
Brian

hmmmm- itf that is the case perhaps i should apply for a CRI seal of approval!?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
HARPER said:
Doc Holliday said:
Brian

It is wOrse than that... :roll:
they are "sUbbInG"...for a FAILED.."stocK-bOy"....brian.... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

"poor bastuRds"... :cry:

SUICIDE IS a OPTION...for "mAryS SubS..."... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"But they would probably..."1/2 ASS ...that procedure ...ALSO".... :roll:

Where ya been? I've been trying to envoke the Harp Man for a couple of days now?
Finally get your head our of your ass? I'm sure it was "100%" up there. shiteatinggrin

Name
Lee Stockwell
I NEVER have a problem cleaning Berber (nylon or otherwise) with a truckmount. Usually dry in two hours tops.

All this brewhaha over perceived difficulty or danger of cleaning berber is evidence of clueless cleaners.

Thanks,
Lee

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom