Smart Strand "silk"

hogjowl

Idiot™
Have I posted this week how crappy I think this stuff is?

Not withstanding the fact that Mr. Happy loves the worthless junk, I hate cleaning it and now charge additional money to deal with it.

From vacuuming to post grooming it's a pita.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Have I posted this week how crappy I think this stuff is?

Not withstanding the fact that Mr. Happy loves the worthless junk, I hate cleaning it and now charge additional money to deal with it.

From vacuuming to post grooming it's a pita.

LOL....

Any pics of the problems?

hogjowl

Idiot™
It was only a year old and had wear in all traffic lanes and pivot points. I noticed it while plowing it with the vacuum for an hour.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
It was only a year old and had wear in all traffic lanes and pivot points. I noticed it while plowing it with the vacuum for an hour.

Did you giver the Dyson Treatment anyway?

Sounds like the cheap stuff.

Sounds like the homeowners have a good maintenance program like a couple of my clients trashed carpets this week too.

Dog died on one this week, but the left all the crap, throw up and whatever else just there for the past 3 weeks waiting for me :dejection: :very_drunk:

Reactions: kingjoelking

hogjowl

Idiot™
No, this was really thick, tall, 60 oz stuff. The Dyson would have dug in and stuck in one spot. I had my metal Sanitaire on it's highest setting and it was still hard to push.

My biggest problem was how hard it was to tell if it was clean or not. The pile was so distorted by the wand stroke that I couldn't see the spots and soils left until I post groomed it. (It was a very dark brown colored carpet.)

But after I got it clean, the wear was standing out so starkly that she was really disappointed.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Is there any way to test if carpet is Smart Strand or straight Poly? Does it burn different? When I cleaned it I can tell, but a PM asked me if I was sure it wasn't Smart Strand..

Do all the work you want to it Marty, like all comb overs, it will still look like $hit!

hogjowl

Idiot™
This particular lady told me she had "silk" carpet when she called me to set up the appointment. It took me a moment to realize what she had.

hogjowl

Idiot™
They had a small step stool at the foot of their master bed. They'd picked it up onto the bed before we got there. There were 4 black spots located under all 4 legs. I worked on those spots like crazy and it wasn't until I groomed them, and they turned WHITE that I was able to determine that it was crushing. It looked black in one direction and white when groomed in the opposite direction! So, I had to decide if I wanted her to think her carpet was bleached or spotted when she walked into the room.

Ron K

My 20 year White Nylon fresa is the best, don't see much 20 year old Poly it'll never make it that long. Cleaned some today, more Cornrows then Kansas, two years old, bullnose on stair looked really knarly.

Reactions: Able 1 and hogjowl

Paul Demers

Supportive Member
Name
Paul Demers
No, this was really thick, tall, 60 oz stuff. The Dyson would have dug in and stuck in one spot. I had my metal Sanitaire on it's highest setting and it was still hard to push.

My biggest problem was how hard it was to tell if it was clean or not. The pile was so distorted by the wand stroke that I couldn't see the spots and soils left until I post groomed it. (It was a very dark brown colored carpet.)

But after I got it clean, the wear was standing out so starkly that she was really disappointed.

The Sanitaire is not an approved vacuum cleaner for use on Smart Strand Silk. The visible "wear" was likely caused by customer from not using a vacuum cleaner recommended by Mohawk, causing tip blooming and fiber distortion. All these ultra soft carpets require special care, including frequent cleaning before they become even moderately soiled. Use of a glided wand and low pressure. Never use any rotary extraction tool.

I have my phone girl ask customers on phone if they have any of these soft carpets installed: Shaw Anso Carress, Stainmaster TruSoft, Tigresa SoftStyle, Mohawk Smartstrand Silk, and Beaulieu SoftSense.

hogjowl

Idiot™
If the wear had been caused by the vacuum, I feel it's safe to assume that the wear wouldn't have been confined to the pivot points and the entry ways only.

Unless you feel she may have only vacuumed those areas.

For a year.

Reactions: KevinL

Paul Demers

Supportive Member
Name
Paul Demers
If the wear had been caused by the vacuum, I feel it's safe to assume that the wear wouldn't have been confined to the pivot points and the entry ways only.

Unless you feel she may have only vacuumed those areas.

For a year.

I don't think the problem is wear (fiber lose), but rather texture change (matting or tip blooming). If damage not caused by vacuum cleaner, then likely an installation problem or improper pad. Foot traffic in a home should not cause that much damage in only one year. Perhaps vacuum cleaner caused some damage that was then further aggravated by foot traffic. If customer had been using a recommended vacuum cleaner, she may have a warranty claim.

Able 1

Name
Keith
I don't think the problem is wear (fiber lose), but rather texture change (matting or tip blooming). If damage not caused by vacuum cleaner, then likely an installation problem or improper pad. Foot traffic in a home should not cause that much damage in only one year. Perhaps vacuum cleaner caused some damage that was then further aggravated by foot traffic. If customer had been using a recommended vacuum cleaner, she may have a warranty claim.

Spoken like a true inspector!!! I have some pictures coming..

hogjowl

Idiot™
I seriously don't care if it's installed over the wrong pad or if they've used the wrong vacuum or if it's wear or texture change. It's seriously irresponsible and short sighted to put a fiber on the market that is that sensitive to the pad type or can't be vacuumed with half the vacuums on the market, and it really doesn't matter if you call fiber distortion wear or texture change. It still looks like worn out carpet to the customer.

Seriously Mikey, if you can't spot this stuff from a mile away, and distinguish it from nylon, put a sock in it.

Reactions: Willy P and Able 1

Able 1

Name
Keith
I am still cleaning 40 year old nylon.. And even new nylon isn't what it used to be..

I mean we have to defend our cleaning results against shit carpet! I have made no friends with the local carpet installers to say the least! :lol: F them, they should be pushing for quality from the mill to retain their custy's right? ALL BS!

Mikey P

Administrator
Seriously Mikey, if you can't spot this stuff from a mile away, and distinguish it from nylon, put a sock in it.

I can spot cheap older polys from a mile away with one eye closed, but these quality California approved Smart Strands look and feel just like Nylon

And my customers are to smart too buy that crap.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Paul Demers

Supportive Member
Name
Paul Demers
I am still cleaning 40 year old nylon.. And even new nylon isn't what it used to be..

I mean we have to defend our cleaning results against shit carpet! I have made no friends with the local carpet installers to say the least! :lol: F them, they should be pushing for quality from the mill to retain their custy's right? ALL BS!

exactly right !

Paul Demers

Supportive Member
Name
Paul Demers
Nothing wrong with bitching and whining about particular carpet fibers here on Mikey's Board and I have no arguments with Marty's opinion.

However, these soft carpet are being sold, whether we like it or not, in both polyester and nylon, and I think that as professional carpet care experts we need to educate ourselves on the proper care and maintenance requirements of these fibers in order to educate our customers on same and to know how to clean them without causing damage ourselves.

These are expensive carpets purchased by high income people, and should be cleaned often! .... potentially great customers.

If I had a customer that experienced very premature wear or texture damage with these carpet fibers, I would check for proper stretch, verify if a recommended carpet pad was installed, and review their warranty with them, including the warranty on wear and the warranty on texture retention. I would be very carful not to make a claim to them that the carpet was defective or tell them that they purchased crappy carpet. I would only suggest they consider having a discussion with their carpet retailer and/or filing a warranty claim IF THEY FELT they had a warranty issue.

I think it's important that dissatisfied customers of these carpet fibers go back to their local retailers and complain.... so that the retailers stop selling those fiber and style types that are indeed problematic.

Last edited:

hogjowl

Idiot™
Her carpet WASN'T properly stretched! I DID check that. I never come across carpet that's stretched properly. That's a long story that I have discussed before and it is another area that indicates the short sighted focus of the industry. This customer and I discussed the possibility of her filing a claim and I encouraged her to do so, but I always have to bear in mind the fact that her retailers recommendation is the reason why I'm there in the first place, and most likely no warranty will be honored because the blame will most probably be placed on the installation and job specs.

Paul Demers

Supportive Member
Name
Paul Demers
Paul how do these carpets hold up to
Jiggling?

LOL.... I don't think I will ever, ever Jiggle any of these soft fibers. That being said, Shaw had John run the Trinity over their Caress carpet and they were amazed that it did not cause any texture damage or tip blooming.

Paul Demers

Supportive Member
Name
Paul Demers
Her carpet WASN'T properly stretched! I DID check that. I never come across carpet that's stretched properly. That's a long story that I have discussed before and it is another area that indicates the short sighted focus of the industry. This customer and I discussed the possibility of her filing a claim and I encouraged her to do so, but I always have to bear in mind the fact that her retailers recommendation is the reason why I'm there in the first place, and most likely no warranty will be honored because the blame will most probably be placed on the installation and job specs.

My understanding is that improper installation IS the cause of most problems. I have heard that IICRC installation standards and certification is in the works, and that the mills will then require the installation to be performed by certified installers.... that won't fix the problem but it may help. The mills are tired of getting blamed for installation issues.

Agree we have to be careful with what we say when we are getting referrals from the carpet retailers. I try to help customers understand what might be causing the problem, but I also tell them I am a textile cleaner, not a carpet inspector..... they should talk to their retailer IF THEY FEEL that they have an installation or warranty issue. I usually explain that I have relationships with these carpet retailers, and ask them not to mention our discussion.

And referrals work both ways. I recommend good local retailers to my customers considering purchasing new carpet, and strongly advise against purchasing from Lowes and Home Depot.

Reactions: Jim Pemberton
Back
Top Bottom