So how does a new guy with a Porty get booked for the month?

Actually its very simple...and I don't think it has anything to do with living in the Pacific Northwest.

I am pretty sure most will agree that with a good Porty... a glided wand, a rotovac/rx20, a Pad/rotary, and good chemicals... a guy is capable of doing good work and properly cleaning a carpet. You will work harder, and it will take more time than a guy with a TM, but you can provide a quality result.

Next...since you have a porty, you will probably not be able to compete head on with a TM in an "occupied" residential setting...for a whole host of reasons...customer perception being only one...there are exceptions ...high rise, lockdown, etc. But in general "occupied" residential is owned by the TM guys.

Next find a property management company you can get a contract with. This is the hard part...I was successful at this because my company was already providing other services for a PM company...Janitorial, maintenance. This gave me an "in" an allowed me to demonstrate that I could provide a better carpet cleaning result for the "same" money. In my area the TM guys have set the price on "unoccupied" residential "turnovers" at .18 a sqft.

Ok...lets take a typical 600 sqft apt. In my area the typical 600 sqft apt rents for approx $800 per month. That means there is $800 dollars of "cleaning" damage deposit available to pay for turnover services.

Janitorial services...pays $25/hr
Maintenance services..pays $35/hr
Carpet .18 sqft... pays $108...

"Smaller units are actually a better deal...I can charge $70 min for carpet."

I work with my wife and can clean and maintain the average apt in about 6 hours...thats 3 hours actual time...and receive $170 ...4 cleaning, 2 maintenance. ...add carpet at $108 and 1 hr time for 4 actual hours total time and $270 total. Can do 3 a day = $810 per day. Of course this varies depending on the condition of the unit...Sometimes more cleaning less maintenance etc....but you get the idea.

Normally we can finish all the turnovers for the PM company in about 15 days...$10 - $12,000 for 15 days work no days off. The rest of the month is ours to relax, play etc.

So why am I booked for the whole month of July?...because we work in a "College" town, July, August and September there are a huge amount of turnovers...between the PM companies there are at least a 1000- 2000 turnovers in this time frame. Its not about the PNW its about "College" turnovers.

PM work is great...unoccupied...no muss, no fuss, no furniture, no people problems...just do the work and get paid.

There you have it guys... nothing special, not rocket science ...just work.... only have 2 today...but back to 3 tomorrow...off to work...:wink:

(for a "retired" guy...it sure beats flipping burgers or greeting people at the Wal-Mart) :lol:

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Doug, Steve, Randy, Willy P, marty, jimmy, richard, ken, Mikey, greenie, odin, rex, luddy, meat, foster, mary k girl err robison, Jim Martin, JB, Ron times 2,bawb, Rhyde and many many others are you guys paying attention on how it is done.

Now I don't need SFS this fall. Thanks

Mr.V

I think the "customers perception"

is more like the "cleaners perception"

my experience has been that customers don't care if you have a $2000 porty or a $20,000 TM as long as there is good end results

Bob Foster

Devil you work hard for your money and pay the price of no days off and scheduling screw ups with tenants not vacated on time or tenants in a rush to get in.

If you were working residential in a team environment with your wife CC only you would make at least double that for the same amount of hours and more reasonable hours of operation.

A lot of CCer use MPs as bread and butter work and make the real glue on the choice work. Hacking apartments is no fun even if they are empty.

Why is it I can not find any record of your business or phone number in any record searches of your area?

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
You dont need a Roto crap to clean carpet with a porty.. a 175 helps alot on the nasties though.. have been busy kicking ass with my porty all year..

CleanEvo

Ya, I agree with Bob on that one.

I only work with a couple of property managers and a couple of smaller independant apartment buildings. It's nice to have a little work when residential is slow, but it's a PITA. Many, many times I feel like telling them to lose my number, but I've been working with them so long that it's kind of like a disfunctional family, I hate them, but I kind of like them as well???

Way better money in good residential work.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
DevilThomas said:
Actually its very simple...

PM work is great...unoccupied...no muss, no fuss, no furniture, no people problems...just do the work and get paid.

There you have it guys... nothing special, not rocket science ...just work....

(for a "retired" guy...it sure beats flipping burgers or greeting people at the Wal-Mart) :lol:

I really can't and won't argue with any of your post, Thomas. Frankly, 12 grand for 15 days without the inevitable headaches of employees combined with low overhead doesn't sound bad IF all you want is (as you say above) "just work". There are literally millions of people out there (both employed and unemployed) who would give anything for the gig you describe! So if it is working for you, congratulations!

Thomas, I'm sure you have thought ahead about getting sick/ hit by a semi/ getting old/ losing the cream-puff account you have now, etc. Unfortunately business (and life) is a moving target. One of the most compelling arguments in favor of achieving Critical Mass as a "real business" has nothing to do with putting more money in your pocket. Instead, the idea is to build something that will run with you or without you. However, I am the first to admit that getting to this Critical Mass is tough. Whatever floats your boat ...

Steve "Island Boy" Toburen
http://www.StrategiesForSuccess.com

PS Actually the dilemma I refer to above is quite common. For example, here is a recent question sent in to my new "Dear Abby" column for carpet cleaners:

http://www.strategiesforsuccess.com/169 ... what-to-do

Matt Murdock said:
Now I don't need SFS this fall. Thanks
Thomas has definitely found a nice niche for him, Greg. Once again, it all comes down to the fact that everyone has a different definition of "success". One of the things SFS does is expose people to the potential that this industry has and gives them the tools (what we call a "Business Infrastructure") to go after these niches if they want to. Quite a few of our members make a conscious decision to stay small and just use our Value Added Service techniques to dramatically raise their prices. And that works for me ...

(So Greg, are you coming to Roselle or Langhorne? Either way, don't wait to long to sign up. Portland has been sold out now for several weeks.)

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I thought I was signed up for roselle. I will call on Monday

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
Matt Murdock said:
I thought I was signed up for roselle. I will call on Monday
You may very well be, Greg. Remember that I work very, very, very "off-site" and am not in the loop on who is signed up. But do come. If we can keep an ADD type like Mikey focused for five entire days (well, to be honest his attention started wandering on midday Friday when we got deep into restoration) think what we can do for you!

Steve
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com

PS Greg, if you want to preview SFS just go here for a free 30 minute "orientation DVD" just click here:

http://www.jondon.com/trained/strategie ... equest.htm

People tell me it is pretty good.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Be careful having all your eggs in one basket.

All it can take is a new property manager that favors an other service or new bean counter in the regional office with a sharp pencil and you could be down to zero.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Isn't this what they call "Volume" work. Low prices and a lot of jobs right?
The extra services help, as I said in another thread but as Steve said...

What happens when you get sick or whatever?

I know you can call your local cleaner friend and split it with him but it would be nice to have that all in order when it happens.

Us old guys have to have a better back up plan than the youngsters.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
carpetsweeper said:
when will there be a SFS in Seattle?
Sorry, Johnas, not till next year.

Here's the options left for this year:
Saint Louis August 3-7 (don't know where we are on attendance)
Portland August 17-21 (sold out but Jerry Byrne has a waiting list)
Langhorne, PA September 21-25 (??)
Roselle, IL October 12-16 (??)

Steve

PS We only get to Seattle every other year. I love Seattle, Johnas, but what with Big Billy's advanced age we are restricting our SFS seminars to eight a year. The problem is Jon-Don has ten branch locations!

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
thankyou i totaly agree. i kick ass with my 175 i have owned a rotovac and sold it i think the 175 is fineespecialy if you know what your doin
C&S said:
You dont need a Roto crap to clean carpet with a porty.. a 175 helps alot on the nasties though.. have been busy kicking ass with my porty all year..

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Steve Toburen said:
carpetsweeper said:
when will there be a SFS in Seattle?
Sorry, Johnas, not till next year.

Here's the options left for this year:
Saint Louis August 3-7 (don't know where we are on attendance)
Portland August 17-21 (sold out but Jerry Byrne has a waiting list)
Langhorne, PA September 21-25 (??)
Roselle, IL October 12-16 (??)

Steve
http://www.StrategiesForSuccess.com

PS We only get to Seattle every other year. I love Seattle, Johnas, but what with Big Billy's advanced age we are restricting our SFS seminars to eight a year. The problem is Jon-Don has ten branch locations!

A plane ticket is only about $200.00 nowadays if bought at the right time and place.

Name
I'm Rick James
Dave Yoakum said:
Be careful having all your eggs in one basket.

All it can take is a new property manager that favors an other service or new bean counter in the regional office with a sharp pencil and you could be down to zero.

This is a very true statement and good advice. You could easily lose out to another cheapier company. (they are out there). Then you would be up a creek without a paddle. Would you change up your business model and buy a TM?

I do agree you can do a great job with a portable, it does take more work but very possible. Sounds like a decent job you have.

Starting off with a portable is a good thing. Teaches you to learn your chemicals and whene you master it you become a money machine whene you upgrade to a trcukmount.

Though in many cases your total cleaning time really isnt much longer. Then theres the gas you save and dont get me started on how much anything for a truck mount costs. And you dont need a big van .

Besides you should not be just cleaning , repairs and kool aid and water is where the moneys at.
With all that said my porty days are over.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
Matt Murdock said:
what are the hours for sfs? just going over flights. Is it 9 am to 5?

Greg, Greg, Greg. Now don't be a wuss on me! SFS is not your "typical tax-deductible vacation cloaked as a seminar" scam. We laugh at the 9-5 sissies! Monday-Thursday we start at 8:00 AM and finish at 5:30. Plus we let the class vote each day on how long for lunch but given the amount of information they have to take in most groups go for 1/2 hour. (Doesn't matter to Yeadon and me. We get paid the same either way!)

We do let you off on Friday at 3:00 PM. However, you should plan on staying till then as we work hard right up till the closing minute. If you are looking at Roselle the earliest you should book your flight would be 6:00 PM.

Note: The only thing that makes these long hours bearable is a)Nick Paolella feeds us like kings and b)we try to have some fun along the way and c)you are learning a lot.

Island Boy

PS Either bring enough room in your baggage for two 3 ring binders with each one approximately 4" think or we will ship them back to you. (It takes big binders to hold over a 1,000 pages of the Business Infrastructure that you will walk away from SFS with.)

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
DevilThomas said:
So how does a new guy with a Porty get booked for the month?

Actually its very simple...

actually not very simple according to your math.
cause according to my math, it looks more like 15 days out a month.
and out of those 15 days the porty is only running 45 hours.

just think if that porty "really was" busy for the 12 hour (24 man hour)days you're hitting.
12 x $108 = $1296 x 15 =$19,440

I just gave you a $7000 dollar raise .
Now your wife won't have clean scummy student rentals with their scummy/grungy tubs and bthrms.
She won't have to remove "fuzzy green pizza" the fridgees anymore.
No stoves to chisel burnt crud off.
You won't have to pack out all the stuff students always leave.

all gone!
cause you'll "really" be busy POG (porty only guy)

You'll be in CCing nirvana !
In time, you will become a Carpet Cleaning GAWD like most of us!

..L.T.A.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
Mr Crabazz said:
Now your wife won't have clean scummy student rentals with their scummy/grungy tubs and bathrms.
She won't have to remove "fuzzy green pizza" the fridgees anymore.
No stoves to chisel burnt crud off.
You won't have to pack out all the stuff students always leave...L.T.A.

Actually, Larry, your post above reminded me about the job that FINALLY moved me out of rental cleanups.

In our early years in Durango Sioux and I worked for a very, very cheap and demanding slum lord. He had us doing a real pit with (of course) the hot water heater not working. So here I walk into the kitchen and my dear wife (who was six months pregnant at the time) was heating boiling water on the stove and pouring it into all the drawers out of the kitchen cabinets she had lined up on the floor. I asked her why and she said, "To soften up the 1/2" of caked on rat turds in each drawer." The stench was incredible and even at age 25 and struggling I thought, "There has to be a better way to make a living than this."

That was the last non-carpet cleaning rental we ever did. It gave me a lot of time to get out there and get better work ... and I did.

Island Boy

PS This is not to say that you can't make money doing rental cleanups or to put down those who do. (I would do it again to feed my family.) However, especially in my early days as an owner-operator i was constantly asking myself, "Where is my highest and best use?" I just determined that softening and then using a spatula to scrape out 1/2" of caked on rat turds was not it!

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Greg, Greg, Greg. Now don't be a wuss on me! SFS is not your "typical tax-deductible vacation cloaked as a seminar" scam. We laugh at the 9-5 sissies! Monday-Thursday we start at 8:00 AM and finish at 5:30. Plus we let the class vote each day on how long for lunch but given the amount of information they have to take in most groups go for 1/2 hour. (Doesn't matter to Yeadon and me. We get paid the same either way!)

I was asking because of flight information. Since I get up very early I figured I might be able to fly in in the am but that looks out.
I hate leaving the family for that long. The longest I have been away from my kids has been 3 nights.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Greg- can you take them with you so they can hang oout and see the sights during the day and you can have a couple hours at night with them? Or have them come out Wednesday and stay an extra couplpe days going home Sunday?

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
Matt Murdock said:

I was asking because of flight information. Since I get up very early I figured I might be able to fly in in the am but that looks out.
I hate leaving the family for that long. The longest I have been away from my kids has been 3 nights.

I feel your pain, Greg. I love SFS but I hate being away from my wife that long. (And my kids too if they were still at home.) I think the SFS members here will verify that the seminar and other activities (including Poppa Nick springing for drinks and dinner on Wednesday Social Night) are such a whirlwind of activity the time passes VERY quickly.

Leave late Sunday afternoon- get back Friday night. Pull the trigger. It will be worth it.

Steve "Island Boy" Toburen
http://www.StrategiesforSuccess.com

PS The new SFS web-site has a lot of our SFS concepts available to download for free, Greg, but nothing beats the kick in the pants that an industry specific, intense five day seminar like SFS gives you. And the over 1,000 pages of systems and procedures we give you are ONLY available to SFS seminar attendees. Plus only our SFS graduates become lifetime members of our TIPS group which gives you free consulting access to Yeadon and myself along with continuing updates and new procedures. And as Mr. Sutley will attest to, membership in the TIPS program is free, free, free and there is no buying pressure from Jon-Don either. (Though we won't turn down your orders either.) Even better, as Chavez proved during his two different SFS seminars, you don't even have to pay attention during class. We'll still keep you on as TIPS members.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I booking it today. My wife may be able to go later in the week for business. She has a brain injury program in carbondale.

I will be there

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Mr.V said:
I think the "customers perception"

is more like the "cleaners perception"

my experience has been that customers don't care if you have a $2000 porty or a $20,000 TM as long as there is good end results

Thank you - My customers pay for results, not the length of my hose or the CFM of my blower.

I deal with LOTS of property management companies. They pay darn well, IF you pick the right ones. My lowest paying company still gives me .20 a square, and it's only ego that keeps that company as I've done that work for 25 years as it was the first management company I got a contract for. Some only use me for trashed out units, some just for pet restorations, some because I get the job done on time. The key is GREAT SERVICE.

$4000 + out the door next week. with just 2 residential jobs.... :D

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Since you like to do house cleaning , light maintenance and carpet cleaning. If you target for-sale, vacant homes your ticket can average $1000.00 or more.

You can advertise it in the YPs with only a small ad since their is much less ad space competition that there is with carpet cleaning.

Get the keys and do them on your own time and you'll be able to fill in dead spots in your schedule.

Dave Yoakum-

Dave Yoakum said:
Since you like to do house cleaning , light maintenance and carpet cleaning. If you target for-sale, vacant homes your ticket can average $1000.00 or more.

You can advertise it in the YPs with only a small ad since their is much less ad space competition that there is with carpet cleaning.

Get the keys and do them on your own time and you'll be able to fill in dead spots in your schedule.

Dave Yoakum-

This seems like a good idea...who pays?...Bank?, morgage company?, seller?...get paid on closing when it sells?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom