So, if ya don't change that pump oil, this is what happens.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
This is probably the worst I've ever seen. It needed new bearings, crankshaft and push rod ends and a push rod.

The guy was surprised.

I have no idea how many hours "service" it had delivered.

[video=youtube_share;_Xtd3Q60Zc8]http://youtu.be/_Xtd3Q60Zc8[/video]

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Why would you rebuild that? Cheaper and safer to replace it. I wouldnt trust it after all that damage. How much did you charge him to rebuild it?

Reactions: KevinL

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley

$275

We have a stock pile of used pump parts that come from various sources. So that helps save money for guys who can't afford new.

Right now, a lot of guys are struggling. If I go into a pump like that, the work is guaranteed for 90 days. So they have peace of mind in that.

It's extremely rare for something to go wrong with a pump I rebuild like that. I check each part thoroughly.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Defineatly looks like water intrusion into the crankcase. Car engine crankcases look like that when water gets into the oil.....milky brown.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
You said nothing in that video, to many 4 letter words you were thinking hu.

I didn't do the vid. I had Taylor (my assistant) do it while he opened it and examined it. He's not very talkative.

If I had done it, I would have been laughing. So it's probably better PR actually for it to be silent.

This one reminds me of a Hammer I sold a guy back around 1998. He called about 6 months later, pissed, and demanding that I "make Briggs stand by their warranty". I asked what the issue was and he said that he was told he needed a new engine or short block, and would have to pay for it.

I asked him what the issue cause was and he said, "oil break- down".

I asked him how often he changed the oil and he said, "Every 3,000 miles, just like the van.".

You just can't make this stuff up.

One guy back in the 1990's was from Korea and spoke terrible English. He was concerned about heat in the van for some reason, so he put a long, winding 8" diameter hose from the top of the heater, across the ceiling and out the side door. Well, propane heaters aren't forced- air. So the airflow was interfered with and the thing sooted like crazy. So he brought it back all upset and I tried to explain the problem and cleaned the heater of soot at no charge. And I took the exhaust he made off of the heater and put it in the van.

About 2 weeks later, he showed up with the same setup, same problem. So I once again explained what was wrong and cleaned the heater coil- at no charge.

About 2 weeks later, same thing. So I took the vent off, put it on the ground and stomped it flat as he watched. "No!", I said as I did. And I made it clear that if he came back with the same issue, I would be charging him twice to clean it.

He finally got the idea.

Same guy, later, came in wanting me to "fix champ gun".

"Champ gun"?

He nodded as he made this weird, sort of familiar motion in the air with both hands.

"Chammmmp gunnnnnn!"

"Show me "champ gun".

So he reached in the van and took out his wand.

His, "Shampoo gun.".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom