So what did we learn about solvent replacements.....

Name
Steve Lawrence
at the class the other night. Is there a better alternative and what are the applications?

Thanks,
Steve

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Apparently by the lack of responses, I'm guessing modern replacements for solvents don't compare, at least not for me. I was fortunate to find PICRIN, a comparable replacement for what I used 20+ years ago. What has replaced them are absolutely awful. I have used DSC products for 10+ years and they have progressively gotten worse over the years, except for gum removal of course. Way too long drying time and too heavy of a solvent.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Yea, that’s was more or less what I walked away with. The good stuff causes cancer.

What’s the deal with Joe the lead formulator? He sounded rough.

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
Ooohhhh Picrin looks like a comparable product to 1,1,1. MSDS says it is 100% Trichlor.

wonder what the difference is between regular old Trichlor and 1,1,1 Trichlor.

Looks like I'll have to pick up a case.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
MicahR said:
Ooohhhh Picrin looks like a comparable product to 1,1,1. MSDS says it is 100% Trichlor.

Micah,

Picrin is currently Trichloroethylene (AKA trichloroethene), and is a altogether different chemical than 1,1,1 Thichlorethane. It does have usage similarities, and is "safer" for the ozone layer, but actually higher toxicity and carcinogenicity than 1,1,1 Trichlorethane. When 1,1,1 Trichlorethane was still available, Trichlorethylene was the nasty "taboo stuff". That it is still legal when 111 Trichlorethane is out, Trichlorethylene is now a little more interesting. Some occupational studies have shown that Trichlorethylene (TCE) produces central nervous system effects, as well as membrane, skin and gastrointestinal irritation and decreased appetite. Hepatotoxicity (liver cancer) has been associated primarily with TCE inhalation. Renal failure has also been reported in concert with hepatic damage. Cardiac dysrhythmias may be induced by heavy TCE use in susceptible persons.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
How in the world,you head doesn't explode from being so smart I'll never know. I am glad your back to sharing some of those smarts :)

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
Shawn Forsythe said:
MicahR said:

Micah,

Picrin is currently Trichloroethylene (AKA trichloroethene), and is a altogether different chemical than 1,1,1 Thichlorethane. It does have usage similarities, and is "safer" for the ozone layer, but actually higher toxicity and carcinogenicity than 1,1,1 Trichlorethane. When 1,1,1 Trichlorethane was still available, Trichlorethylene was the nasty "taboo stuff". That it is still legal when 111 Trichlorethane is out, Trichlorethylene is now a little more interesting. Some occupational studies have shown that Trichlorethylene (TCE) produces central nervous system effects, as well as membrane, skin and gastrointestinal irritation and decreased appetite. Hepatotoxicity (liver cancer) has been associated primarily with TCE inhalation. Renal failure has also been reported in concert with hepatic damage. Cardiac dysrhythmias may be induced by heavy TCE use in susceptible persons.

So what your saying is that I should probably stay away from Trichlorethylene? :!:

ditto what John said :)

Name
Shawn Forsythe
I'm not saying that you have to stay away. Just that usage means that you should take precautions.

Professional Dry Cleaners often use Spotting Tables that uses airflow in the table itself to draw the vapors away from the user, and exhaust to safety. We don't have that luxury.
You should use this product with personal protection, and minimize any vapors that you might breath and skin contact. This can be tough in an indoor carpet spotting situation. If I were doing this occasionally, I wouldn't worry too much. The problem arises when you start using it in your business and have repeated exposure that goes on for months or more.

Some of my comments are subjective and other people's will vary. " A sharp knife can be a fantastic tool, or a deadly hazard." Picrin works pretty darn good, and is "psychologically" and economically addictive. Don't get hooked without realizing the potential health hazards.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
imagesqtbnANd9GcQPzcdFAgi43BzWzRqKFvKND6srDljjb3QuePX8-8xfnizY2idD.jpg

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Willy P said:

Oil Flo by Titan is some pretty fantastic stuff. We sell a fair amount. The only downside is that it is non-volatile and requires water rinsing. It is a good mention in this thread.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
It also devours gum with a rub from a gum getter.It rinses really easily and makes my HM oj lonely.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
1.1.1 isn't illegal, it's just been taxed so heavily no one wants to buy it. This was the government's way of stopping it's use, even though they discovered it wasn't an ozone depleter before they started the tax. Today, the EPA recommended disposal method for chloronated solvents is to let them evaporate.

The big chemical companies were OK with killing off 1.1.1 since they thought they had much more lucrative replacements ready to sell. None of them work as well and many have already been dropped. Good they aren't needed so much due to advances in water-based methodology - driven by the cost of 1.1.1 and the poor performance of the replacements.

The main difference you'll notice using 1.1.2 trichorethylene is that it has more "bite" and will damage latex adhesives faster. Also, where you might get a headache from using 1.1.1 without a respirator, 1.1.2 will make you loopy. Neither should be used without ventilation and an organic vapor respirator.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
The Great Oz said:
1.1.1 isn't illegal, it's just been taxed so heavily no one wants to buy it. This was the government's way of stopping it's use, even though they discovered it wasn't an ozone depleter before they started the tax. Today, the EPA recommended disposal method for chloronated solvents is to let them evaporate.

The big chemical companies were OK with killing off 1.1.1 since they thought they had much more lucrative replacements ready to sell. None of them work as well and many have already been dropped. Good they aren't needed so much due to advances in water-based methodology - driven by the cost of 1.1.1 and the poor performance of the replacements.

The main difference you'll notice using 1.1.2 trichorethylene is that it has more "bite" and will damage latex adhesives faster. Also, where you might get a headache from using 1.1.1 without a respirator, 1.1.2 will make you loopy. Neither should be used without ventilation and an organic vapor respirator.
And gloves.

Back
Top Bottom