So you think you know about pH? Well just maybe you don't.

Bob Foster

Join Mike Kerner of Sapphire Scientific in the cleaners classroom tomorrow WEDNESDAY night at 9 Eastern 6 Pacific to find out the very relevant information that they didn't teach you when you got your Green Patch.

News flash! There is a lot more to it than alkaline or acid and there are a lot of misconceptions about both of them. One of the biggest is the dangers of buffered pH cleaning solutions.

If you are working on better material or starting to hit stone and heavily soiled carpets harder this is an informative session you don't want to miss.

Bring your questions and if you don't show up you don't get the FREE GOODIES from SAPPHIRE!

So log on here and join the discussion in the CLEANERS CLASSROOM

http://carpet.cleanerschat.com

Bob Foster

Re: So you think you know about pH? Well just maybe you don

Mike Kerner joined Legend Brands at the beginning of 2009. Mike supports product development and introduction of Legend Brands chemical products, prepares technical documentation and provides technical support to Legend Brands customers.

In 2010 Mike prepared the training manual for Legend BrandsIICRC certification class in carpet care.

Prior to joining Legend Brands, Mike served as Senior Scientist for ServiceMaster Clean and prior to that was a project and technical support manager for Aramark Management Services.

Mike has an undergraduate degree in chemistry from Benedictine University in Lisle, Illinois and a Master’s Degree in chemistry from Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana.

Mike lives in Lisle, Illinois with his wife, Terry, and their 3 children: Joseph, Patricia and Mary.

Bob Foster

What would you think if you cleaned a rug three times with the same pre-spray with no problems and then the forth time you cleaned it that it bled?

Would you believe a buffered pre-spray caused it? Join us tonight.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington

pH is one of the most misunderstood subjects in the cleaning field. Some IICRC course have only added to the confusion. If you have any desire to really understand what is going on with pH, It sounds like this is the program to attend.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton

Sounds interesting. I can't attend tonight.

Is there a way to listen to this or previous ones on a later time?
Is there an available archive for these?

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning

Ofer Kolton said:
Sounds interesting. I can't attend tonight.

Indeed. It's like WTF? How hard would it be to put these great seminars into a readable form that is saved for posterity? I go to bed early. BTW Mike Kerner is a tremendous asset to our industry.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow

Art Kelley said:
[quote="Ofer Kolton":2lq89mq7]Sounds interesting. I can't attend tonight.

Indeed. It's like WTF? How hard would it be to put these great seminars into a readable form that is saved for posterity? I go to bed early. BTW Mike Kerner is a tremendous asset to our industry.[/quote:2lq89mq7]

Totally agree Art, in this day and age an electronic 1 sheet (maybe up to 3 pages) would suffice.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan

Don't you hate when someone comes to your place and tells you what you're doing wrong? (Ken :p)

I may not be home in time, but I'd like the gist of this talk as well. Can you archive?

Bob Foster

Free stuff free stuff Free stuff free stuff Free stuff free stuff Free stuff free stuff Free stuff free stuff Free stuff free stuff Free stuff free stuff

BraveHeart

Yea i wanted to be there but had a meeting i had to attend. Perhaps someone can copy and paste the chat next time or screen shot. Then post
the session.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes

Scott W said:
pH is one of the most misunderstood subjects in the cleaning field. Some IICRC course have only added to the confusion. If you have any desire to really understand what is going on with pH, It sounds like this is the program to attend.

Scott,

What was the logic behind bridgepoints recommendation of first adding there ph booster to prespray and then adding a ph buffer?

Kernm1229

Hi, everybody:

Thanks for the encouragement and kind words. Be careful with that kind of talk, however: it might give me the idea that I know what I'm talking about! :)

All seriousness aside, several participants asked about an archive for the presentation. I'll see if we can post to our company website for download.

We also attempted to record on Mikey's Board. We will check today to see if it worked.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Mike

G

Maybe I am confused...

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington

ACE said:
Scott W said:

Scott,

What was the logic behind bridgepoints recommendation of first adding there ph booster to prespray and then adding a ph buffer?

Not sure if I totally understand the question. The only time I have suggested adding both a booster and a product to lower the pH (Buff All) is for cleaning natural fibers like light colored cotton upholstery or cotton fringes.

The Booster also is a whitener / brightener. When you combine Boost All with Buff All and a shampoo, you get the benefits of the whitener / brightener without the higher pH. High pH can be damaging to cotton.

Doug Rice

Supportive Member

Scott, the way I understood last night is that if you boosted your prespray you would need to buffer your rinse to counter it. I'm confused. I use boostall and buffall combo for cotton fringe or upholstery but I really don't use it for anything else because of lack of knowledge.
Thanks

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington

Doug Rice said:
Scott, the way I understood last night is that if you boosted your prespray you would need to buffer your rinse to counter it. I'm confused. I use boostall and buffall combo for cotton fringe or upholstery but I really don't use it for anything else because of lack of knowledge.
Thanks

Doug, I did miss Wednesday's program. So, I don't know the context in which that might have been discussed. it would be best for me to leave comments on the Sapphire Scientific presentation to the guys from SS. I have put my foot in my mouth once or twice and I don't want to lose any friends I have at SS.

Bob Foster

Scott W said:

Kernm1229

I am very grateful for Scott's professional courtesy.

Two comments:

1. Each company in this marketplace will have a slightly different formulating stratey. Our approach has been to use buffering - and remember buffering is simply one of a number of tools - in those products where we anticipate a lot of soiling and a thick substrate. We use little or no buffering when those factors are not present.

2. Remember that the ultimate goal is to present your customer with a surface that is as clean as possible. One element of "clean" is a suitable pH. The good news is that you can easily confirm that the pH of any surface is OK before returning it to your customer. If buffering gets you to that goal as easily and painlessly as possible, that's great. If you have another tool that gets you there, that's great as well.

All the best!

Mike Kerner

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom