Solution Hose New Year Sale

Name
Lee Stockwell
A nice little physics lesson that would benefit any carpet cleaner is the science of "superheated water", that is liquid water under pressure above its nominal boiling point of 100 C. or 212 F.

FredC

Village Idiot
Yes, this hose says right on it, Not for Steam.
It's says "Not for Steam use" right on it.

10435-1516768683-b90faf2b45dfa852925dfb83f38f12eb.png

FredC

Village Idiot
My misgivings is that it is printed so clearly on the hose instead of buried in the specs.

Why? Because it would be a harder sell to people that actually think there is steam in their hoses?

or because of the perception of increased liability that ceases to exist when you realize there is no steam in the hoses and nothing is being done outside of the manufacturers suggested uses or max specs?

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
If that's the case then they should just keep going with other warnings printed on the hose, "Not for human consumption", "keep out of eyes", "Not to be used as a restraint device", "Not for towing vehicles".

Think of all the warnings they could put on a 50' long hose.

Personally, I don't want any warnings on my hoses. I have to deal with enough people weirded out by my prespray thinking it's going to poison their cat.

FredC

Village Idiot
If that's the case then should just keep going with other warnings printed on the hose, "Not for human consumption", "keep out of eyes", "Not to be used as a restraint device", "Not for towing vehicles".

Think of all the warnings they could put on a 50' long hose.

Except there is more potential for someone to attempt to use that hose for live steam than there is for someone to eat it

and it isn't even that unusual to see not for steam use on hoses

Reactions: Nomad74

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Except there is more potential for someone to attempt to use that hose for live steam than there is for someone to eat it

and it isn't even that unusual to see not for steam use on hoses
Fred, have you ever been to the south? There is a better chance that someone will use it as a tow strap to pull Christopher Lee out of the mud.

Name
Lee Stockwell
There was once a Canadian hose mtg that made a popular thermoplastic hose. The carpet cleaning application was at the edge of its tolerances. A lawsuit led them to exit the market.

FredC

Village Idiot
Fred, have you ever been to the south? There is a better chance that someone will use it as a tow strap to pull Christopher Lee out of the mud.
Nope....never been to the south....but I've been around a lot of live steam

Reactions: Nomad74

FredC

Village Idiot
There was once a Canadian hose mtg that made a popular thermoplastic hose. The carpet cleaning application was at the edge of its tolerances. A lawsuit led them to exit the market.
Well this one seems to have held up well to an almost catastrophic system failure

Reactions: SamIam
Name
Lee Stockwell
Very familiar with real steam in a previous life in maintenance for a dairy processing plant. Always turn the water on before the steam valve, and when finished turn the steam off first. Will be nasty if you forget.

If you suddenly depressurize superheated water a small part of it may pass thru steam phase.

FredC

Village Idiot
Very familiar with real steam in a previous life in maintenance for a dairy processing plant. Always turn the water on before the steam valve, and when finished turn the steam off first. Will be nasty if you forget.

If you suddenly depressurize superheated water a small part of it may pass thru steam phase.
That isn't "steam service"

and it really is unlikely considering how much even small PSI increases raise boiling points and the cooling within lines

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
if its sold in CA they may use it for coffee enemas

Well, I'll use it till she busts. I have the orange Parflex, as mentioned, and I've had to recrimp that one several times. Its only good for 1750psi and 230F. And its stiff. As has been said before, when the thermoplastic in parflex starts to go it pinholes rather than bursting.

FredC

Village Idiot
Yes, this hose says right on it, Not for Steam. My thermostat, that activates my dump valve for cooling, failed. .

Reminds me...Anybody have pics of Al's?? heat exchanger that exploded fubaring his truck?Looked like a bomb went off. Had them once and can't find them.

Reactions: SamIam

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
As strong as steel braid is, it is not bullet proof.

If water with cleaning or rinse solution gets between the braid and the liner, it corroded and breaks. At least that's what happens with black death.

This is a hot water hose to the washer at WDR loss we did a couple of years ago . State Farm used to hand them out to their insured. At least until they figured out they had liability in doing so. :biggrin:

We had to snap a picture. "No Burst" lol

20180124_135752.jpg

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Well, I'll use it till she busts. I have the orange Parflex, as mentioned, and I've had to recrimp that one several times. Its only good for 1750psi and 230F. And its stiff. As has been said before, when the thermoplastic in parflex starts to go it pinholes rather than bursting.

The Parflex hose comes from the factory with a pin-pricked cover to alert the user to any leaks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom