Solution Hose??????

S

steamclean

Maybe its just me but it seems that for the last few years that I have been using my APEX,
I have been having to repair my solution hose almost every 6 - 8 months. They always seem to blow out at the clamp connection.
It is a Goodyear Neptune and the ends are from Fairview Fitting and Manufacturing.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
We don't use Blue Nep any more, but it's not because we had problems with it. (We use Gates now...)

Good Year doesn't make crimps. So, you're on your own for the most part to find crimps for it when you use it. When we used Good Year, we used 10143-4-4 crimps and MP-04-04 crimps. Unlike some other crimps (like 04U104's, if I remember the number correctly... which are mainly used for Synflex type thermoplastic hoses...), these two have grip rings embedded in the inner part of the ferrule, that bite into the outer covering better than smooth ones do. See if you can find either in your area. Maybe it will take care of your problem.

Also, when we originally used Good Year back in 1996 or 1997, we were told that you had to skive the hose. ("Skiving" means to skin the hose... remove the outer cover so that the bare wire underneath is exposed.) We had problems early- on at the crimps when we did that. We found that, in contradiction to what we were told, when we crimped over the hose, cover and all, problems at the crimp went away. So if your hose is being skived, tell them to stop.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
I was told by a place that I had recrimp once that because of the water pressure flowing through the inside hose, it makes the inner diameter larger over time and a new crimp would not hold on very well. They suggested not recrimping old hose, just replace. That being said I just had one done yesterday and it is leaking.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Ron;

The problem could also be the final crimp diameter . . .
when the crimps are compressed.

Different crimp fittings require different final diameters for proper compression.

Also, worn crimp dies can only partially crimp the fittings.

The Goodyear Neptune "inner tube" can also deteriorate from the combo of heat and chemicals ("black death").

Larry

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
KevinL said:
I was told by a place that I had recrimp once that because of the water pressure flowing through the inside hose, it makes the inner diameter larger over time and a new crimp would not hold on very well. They suggested not recrimping old hose, just replace.

Let me guess... They just happen to sell hose, too...

We crimp hose daily for our customers who have Goodyear Blue Neptune, Schieffer, Gates, Parker and others, without recurring problems.

And we do sell hose. But I'm not in the habit of selling people things that they don't really need...

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
6 months is not that unusual. Lucky for me I have a place that will crimp a new end for $5.00 Normally only happens on the end that goes to the wand. Rotating the hose will help

Name
Lee Stockwell
Lots of places can crimp on new ends, but pick a place that does lots of them. Experience matters.

Alway try to use the same place for accurate tracking. The NAPA I use has always worked great, ends last for at least a year.

Neptune is not the best wire-reinforced hose.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
i add a sleeve about 4' long of clear tubing over the wand end and hose clamp it to the fitting. the hose has never broken since. i do rotate back every year so i'm sure that it would eventually go. before that practice it was starting to swell at about 4-6 months.

gene

Back
Top Bottom