Something New Today......Tempur-Pedic Mattress

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Cleaning at a smoke resto job, there was a Tempur-pedic mattress that was exposed to smoke from a kitchen fire. Custy was advised NOT to wet clean the mattress by the dealer. They were advised to just sprinkle with baking soda and vac up. It was sealed in a fancy mattress cover.

Any restorers here ever deal with this type of matress, and how did you clean it??

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
HWE is what I have done and that has been for dealers of the product. They do take a little longer to dry but will clean up. I might be concerned about getting the smoke smell out in your case. Could be a bit tougher.

Mark Saiger

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The nice thing about fires is the soot is generally concentrated much higher, so the mattress is not as likely to be affected unless it was close to the heat. Generally you'll see it settled on the bed spread or comforter, usually not as far as the sheets or mattress cover unless it was a bad fire.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Storm Warning said:
The nice thing about fires is the soot is generally concentrated much higher, so the mattress is not as likely to be affected unless it was close to the heat. Generally you'll see it settled on the bed spread or comforter, usually not as far as the sheets or mattress cover unless it was a bad fire.

Yeah...unless the fire was directly in the same room as the mattress, it shouldn't get any real smoke damage, but insurance offered to clean all fabrics in the house. She was convinced by the dealer that water would harm it, so I didn't want to give her any ideas. This was the fully motorized version of the bed....the best of the best. Probably around $5000. It was enclosed by an expensive mattress cover.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom