Sour Carpet Smells

Jtuseo

Name
Big Hoss
What causes sour carpet smell after a cleaning. It happened to me once like 8 years ago. I went back and re cleaned it and it was fine. I had a woman call me today and say the whole house smells, it has been 90 degrees with over 80% humitity around here the last few days. I am not sure if this woman is a scam artist or not, because she wanted me to come this wenesday to check it out for her. She has a party next weekend. Maybe she is just a scammer looking for a free re-clean, but what causes sour carpet and whats a good fix.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
the number one reason....still wet/damp

and if you're running 150-200 ft of hose on that portymount of yours...you're nutz.
cause that's a sure recipe for "wet for three days"

..l.T.A.

Jtuseo

Name
Big Hoss
Larry it was cleaned with a porty, but only 50 foot hose and 3 3 stage vac motors. Maybe the humid conditions. Also the woman has 3 large dogs. Could it be their smell?

Cameron1

Will be gone once everything is dry, but you might want to offer a walk thru deo/ sanitizer . Plus, I would make a note on her record because everytime that carpet gets wet in the future it's gonna smell.

We run in to these two or three times a year and it is always from carpet being wet to long. When we talk to the client about it that usually say that the last cleaner left it wet for days. In the future just make sure that it's dry before you leave.

Lars

Name
Lars
I agree make sure it is dry. Use fans and deodorizer to to help assist in the cleaning. The large dogs probably don't help either...

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
it's humid here like that year round and it doesn't cause that problem. i have been told by a few of my customers they had that problem with previous cleaners. wet to long would be a safe bet.

gene

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
just had this happen to me, had a manager of a clothing store call because the fitting rooms were funky. there was almost no air flow in the fitting areas. I read an article that says this smell is from bacteria within the carpet that is activated when the carpet and air are wet for too long. I ore sprayed with a quat did a fast hwe and left an air mover problem fixed

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
We have a winner. Bacteria in the carpet will become active in the presence of moisture, As they feed / grow / multiply etc. they off-gas. The presence of any organic food source like dead skin will increase their feeding and growth. The sour smell is from bacteria farts.

steve r

as soon as i see or hear about dogs or cats i nform the customer that without using a disinfectant the odors may persist. even with a disinfectant there may be a slight odor until the carpet is completely dry. once they are informed there shouldnt be an issue.

some go with the disinfectant others dont but then they know what might happen. i work cheap for normal cleaning, carpets that are prepared for me like vacuuming and moving furniture but the price goes up when i have to do more.

mcatt

Name
Mike
I have seen this a few times and only from extreme pet oils in the carpet and I imagine even deeper. Possibly back and padding by trying to clean themselves or some uneducated underpowered cleaner. I always offer to deodorize, but you know how that goes.

S

shellybrown

I think you should keep dry your carpet after steam cleaning. You can use hot water extraction method to remove dirt, if carpet still smells may be obvious due to over soaking of the carpet, Keep the room as ventilated as possible by opening windows and doors and allow the carpet to dry naturally before deodorizing.

jessicasmith

A certain amount of moisture will stay in the carpet until it dries naturally. A steam cleaner using a hot-water extraction method should remove dirt, but sour smells may be apparent due to over soaking of the carpet or deep sitting stains and bacteria left in the pile. Keep the room as ventilated as possible by opening doors and windows and allow the carpet to dry naturally before deodorizing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom