Spaghetti sauce down a flight of wool stairs.

supersoaker

Name
Michael Malandruccolo
I've got a customer that had a bowl of spaghetti and meatballs go tumbling down her wool stairs and was wondering what I should use and what procedure to use on the wool? Normally I'd just rinse and squirt on the 40 vol if it were synthetic.

Stain magic for wool?

Thanks,
Michael

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
supersoaker said:
Stain magic for wool?

Thanks,
Michael

Sure, why not? But the SMFW will probably be unnecessary as the spaghetti sauce should just wash off without any trouble.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Art Kelley said:
supersoaker said:
Stain magic for wool?

Thanks,
Michael

Sure, why not? But the SMFW will probably be unnecessary as the spaghetti sauce should just wash off without any trouble.

I must have missed the announcement that said spaghetti sauce just rinses off of carpet let alone wool.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox said:
[I must have missed the announcement that said spaghetti sauce just rinses off of carpet let alone wool.

This is why I don't have helpers. I say one thing and they hear another. Maybe I just don't express myself clearly. Washing something off a carpet is different from just rinsing it. But yes, the spaghetti sauce should just wash off a wool carpet.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
I doubt it'll just flush out...

Depending on what the sauce was made of, you'll want some H202 for the natural colours from the tomato, but you may need a redecing agent for artifical colouring.

I'd flush out with a good wool safe/approved detergent, maybe add a tad of heat from a steamer and flush well.

Do two small test areas, one with H202 and the other with a reducing agent. (sorry I'm not familiar with SMFW)

Neutralise and flush out both and then use the best result one for the remainder of the stain. It may require a couple of treatments, or the use of the steamer, or even both treatments, BUT I'd advise against doing both chemicals on the same day. Re book for the next day. You'll run the risk of chemical reactions. I remember one job years back where I hadn't sufficinetly neutralised the H202 before applying the reducing agent and the carpet started smoking, while a white vapour anyway... not good, one of my few heart racing moments.

If it's WHITE wool, be prepared you may not get it all. Depends natuarally on age, condition, wear, soiling etc, not to mention what the client has already thrown at it.

Careful of too much aggression, you'll leave a felted fuzzy mess that the client won't like even if you get the stain out. Use duck bills to carefully de pill it.

John

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Doug Cox said:
[quote="Art Kelley":36wav6nd]
supersoaker said:
Stain magic for wool?

Thanks,
Michael

I must have missed the announcement that said spaghetti sauce just rinses off of carpet let alone wool.[/quote:36wav6nd]

Yep Doug. You were in the shitter at the same time I was. I thought the least they could have done was send me an email with that info...... :evil:

supersoaker

Name
Michael Malandruccolo
I hope it will just "wash" out but it's doubtful as I've had to go to the peroxide on nylon and poly.

Art Kelley said:
supersoaker said:
Stain magic for wool?

Thanks,
Michael

supersoaker

Name
Michael Malandruccolo
Go the All Blacks!! said:
I doubt it'll just flush out...

Depending on what the sauce was made of, you'll want some H202 for the natural colours from the tomato, but you may need a redecing agent for artifical colouring.

I'd flush out with a good wool safe/approved detergent, maybe add a tad of heat from a steamer and flush well.

Do two small test areas, one with H202 and the other with a reducing agent. (sorry I'm not familiar with SMFW)

Neutralise and flush out both and then use the best result one for the remainder of the stain. It may require a couple of treatments, or the use of the steamer, or even both treatments, BUT I'd advise against doing both chemicals on the same day. Re book for the next day. You'll run the risk of chemical reactions. I remember one job years back where I hadn't sufficinetly neutralised the H202 before applying the reducing agent and the carpet started smoking, while a white vapour anyway... not good, one of my few heart racing moments.

If it's WHITE wool, be prepared you may not get it all. Depends natuarally on age, condition, wear, soiling etc, not to mention what the client has already thrown at it.

Careful of too much aggression, you'll leave a felted fuzzy mess that the client won't like even if you get the stain out. Use duck bills to carefully de pill it.

John

Thanks John,

I will take your advice and hopefully there aren't any artificial red dyes in the sauce.

Thanks,
Michael

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Art Kelley said:
[quote="Doug Cox":jahukw8w][I must have missed the announcement that said spaghetti sauce just rinses off of carpet let alone wool.

This is why I don't have helpers. I say one thing and they hear another. Maybe I just don't express myself clearly. Washing something off a carpet is different from just rinsing it. But yes, the spaghetti sauce should just wash off a wool carpet.[/quote:jahukw8w]

Art- I just wait for guys to say goofy shit like this. Maybe you are just cleaning spaghetti sauce off of orange carpet still. JHC- This would rank as one of the most difficult stains to remove from carpets. Statements like yours just mislead newbies into thinking everything is removable.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
It is a complex stain. Oil, red dye and possibly some protein.
You need to remove the oil and food and then deal with the dye.

If you are using either a reducer or an oxidizer sign the client on a release of liability.
It is their stain and they need to be willing to take the risk (like Halo etc.) Don't try to be a hero.

In theory you are not supposed to use oxidizers on wool.

The reducer can follow an oxidizer if you choose to do so (if you rinsed it out well.) An oxidizer after a reducer is a little more challenging (depending on what reducer was used. There may be more of a residue that will neutralize the oxidizer.)

Heat transfer you definitely have to be super cautious and do as last resort and if you are sure that you know when to stop.
As john said, do not work aggressively or even over work it, it will mat or get fuzzy in no time.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
I don't know what kind of Chinese tomato sauce that Wally World sells but I haven't seen red dye added to any. You have oils and tomatos both of which are easily removed with prespray and rinse. So, how did you do Michael?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Art Kelley said:
I don't know what kind of Chinese tomato sauce that Wally World sells but I haven't seen red dye added to any. You have oils and tomatos both of which are easily removed with prespray and rinse. So, how did you do Michael?
The tomato mixes with the oil and becomes a red dye. Kung foo masta!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom