Square Credit card reader- why the Chimps and I love It

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
We use Square to process our credit card payments from customers. we also give the techs a company cell phone so that they can use the service in the field. These two items together have increased our quality of service and professional image to our clients. My techs love it because when they hand the phone/square over to the custy to sign it gives the custy a chance to TIP the techs, and many do Tip them..

Many of the bad reviews we received on yelp were due to 1 particular tech-- well Now he is a changed man. He has learn that if you are nice and fair with people and you do a good job-- people might tip him more. the other day he got a 25% tip on a $400 job!! and he is getting 5 star yelp reviews!

When the guys starting getting more "over the table" tips I didn't like it that much because I have to pay Social Security taxes (employer share), credit card processing fees and workman's comp on those tips! However-- My chimps are making more, they are more happy and most importantly they are taking better care on the customers.

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
the latest Intuit feature allows you to photograph the card rather than swiping

Im not sure how that effects the rate charged, anyone?

That might be too risky taking photos of your customers credit card and might subject you to a $250,000 "fine" by the credit card company--I know--good luck trying to collect that much from a carpet cleaner! haha

Heres Why you should be careful:
You must be sure to erase that photo before it get saved in THE CLOUD. Some of the apps you have on your cell phone also have access to your photos. Your agreement with the credit card processing companies FORBID you from storing any credit card info electronically. this is to prevent credit card fraud. Any credit card info you have must be encrypted to a certain high standard-- not sure what that it.

Damn Cloud!! I have photos of me and my lady friends back in the States on my phone.. I've erased them many times but they keep reappearing for my wife to see! Good thing they are just friends and no compromising photos were taken.. :icon_rolleyes:

Mikey P

Administrator
it doesn't gather the photo, there is a frame work for the card on your screen when you dont have a swiper plugged in. You need tom make corrections for names or numbers read incorrectly by the camera.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
I have both Square and the Intuit reader.

If one fails, Im gettin paid!

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
oh Good to know...
yeah anyone know if a photo is considered at the "swiped rate" or "Keyed rate"? the readers don't seem to last very long-- mostly bcuz the techs forget and leave the readers in there pants when doing laundry-- so a photo might be nice if its cheaper then "Keyed rate"

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
Oh you talking about the Intuit Go payment app..

I didn't like how the go payment synced with my quickbooks-- It wouldn't match up exciting accounts correctly-- it really screwed up my books-- but maybe they fixed It?

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I didn't want to take credit/debit cards for years. When these little readers came out it just made things soooo flipping easy, I had to start taking them.

Truth is I never have/use cash or checks. Everything is the cards now.

I had the square reader for years. Never once had an issue(love it). Yea, it cost 2.75 or 3%, not a big deal. It's pretty surprising at the end of the year to find out just how much went on the cards. Last year 18% of income was credit cards.

Reactions: Art Kelley

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
I didn't want to take credit/debit cards for years. When these little readers came out it just made things soooo flipping easy, I had to start taking them.

Truth is I never have/use cash or checks. Everything is the cards now.

I had the square reader for years. Never once had an issue(love it). Yea, it cost 2.75 or 3%, not a big deal. It's pretty surprising at the end of the year to find out just how much went on the cards. Last year 18% of income was credit cards.

Ditto....though my CC sales arent that high....Still a ton of checks, and CASH....

I just wish there was, some easier or something for when taking CC over the phone.....i just have to write it down and punch it in after i hang up...then rip up the paper

Mike Draper

If you have WIFI itll process while your on the phone......with an Iphone anyways. I love square, I think Dougy mentioned it to me a couple years back. I think this is causing the CC processing companies that used to charge us ripoff rates with contracts to squirm. I get a ton of calls from these guys trying to sell me their service. Never again. I love that my employee can use it as well.

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
I have started to send paypal invoices out so I no security issues. Still use square too.

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
We use Square to process our credit card payments from customers. we also give the techs a company cell phone so that they can use the service in the field. These two items together have increased our quality of service and professional image to our clients. My techs love it because when they hand the phone/square over to the custy to sign it gives the custy a chance to TIP the techs, and many do Tip them..

Many of the bad reviews we received on yelp were due to 1 particular tech-- well Now he is a changed man. He has learn that if you are nice and fair with people and you do a good job-- people might tip him more. the other day he got a 25% tip on a $400 job!! and he is getting 5 star yelp reviews!

When the guys starting getting more "over the table" tips I didn't like it that much because I have to pay Social Security taxes (employer share), credit card processing fees and workman's comp on those tips! However-- My chimps are making more, they are more happy and most importantly they are taking better care on the customers.

I use Square also. It made taking CC's very easy.

I hardly ever get a tip added on. Maybe 2 times in all my CC transactions. :confused: And I think, No I KNOW I give great service.

My guess is that your techs are pointing out the tip feature. I don't do that. Nothing wrong that they do. I would just find it awkward as a O/O.

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
I use Square also. It made taking CC's very easy.

I hardly ever get a tip added on. Maybe 2 times in all my CC transactions. :confused: And I think, No I KNOW I give great service.

My guess is that your techs are pointing out the tip feature. I don't do that. Nothing wrong that they do. I would just find it awkward as a O/O.

My techs are more likely to get tips if I am not on the job.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
oh Good to know...
yeah anyone know if a photo is considered at the "swiped rate" or "Keyed rate"? the readers don't seem to last very long-- mostly bcuz the techs forget and leave the readers in there pants when doing laundry-- so a photo might be nice if its cheaper then "Keyed rate"

That's right...usually 2 different rates based on "swipe" or "keyed".

I currently use the Papal Here reader, and they recently sent a notice that "keyed" receipts totaling over a certain amount during a certain number of days would be treated differently, but I forget exactly what the difference was.

"Swipe" rate is always better because it assures that the card is physically present, and thus carries less risk of fraud.

Based on what Mikey is saying, it sounds like it is only capturing the text and automatically filling the blank "keyed" fields, so I would guess it would be considered only as safe as "keyed", and at the same rate as "keyed".

Makes sense that card images taken by third-party merchants using non-proprietary equipment would be a big no-no.

Al_Paulsen

We are checking out Dharma for CC processing. 2%. Period. No other charges. 1% of 50k per year is 500 plus 3 phones for 100.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom