Square? New chip cards - can I still punch numbers into the old Swipe?

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
i don't use Square too much but i like having the ability to.

instead of investing the $50 for their new Chip Reader, does anyone know if we'll be able to keep the old swiper and, with a new chip card, continue dial in the numbers manually?

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
the original was free correct. the new chip-reader is $50. they "reimburse" you the $50 by waiving their fees when you use it, but only the first 3 months...i use mine maybe once a year. so i wont see any reimbursement.

only used it with CGD accounts, so when they pay by CC, they are never there to have me swipe. so i ALWAYS have to punch in the numbers regardless. hence, it would be perfect if i can continue to just use the old swiper. HENCE, the question :biggrin:

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
If I understand the new policy concerning the chip card correctly-- The merchant will be responsible for any fraudulent use rather then the Banks If the Chip reader isn't used.
Similar to how the rug manufacturers of "Smart Strand" have basically placed their warrantee onto the responsibility of the carpet cleaner-- based on how I interpret the fine print of their warranty.

Reactions: Derek
Name
Brad Gouveia
Yes I think john is right and i got a email from square say that there readers are late on coming out and they will cover you if you happen to have any fraudulent use problems. So i think you can still use the old one or swipe it but you on the hook if it is a con of some sort.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom