Squeezing Blood from a Turnip

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
My job minimum is $200. I had to do this to weed out the price shoppers. It's worked well, but I still get the people calling trying to squeeze every penny out of my minimum. Yesterday I got a call from a guy asking me all kinds of questions about my pricing. He wanted his Tile, granite/marble, hardwood, kitchen counters, and carpet cleaned. I gave him the pricing on each surface. He asked would that be more than the minimum and if I could do it all for $200. He said he really wanted his granite shiny again and asked if I could clean it. I told him that general cleaning of granite really won't help the shine and use of a crystallizer really isn't good for the long term health of the stone. He then went on and on trying to find out how many different surfaces and sqft I could clean for $200. At that point the guy had worn me out. The verbal price ping-pong had gotten to me. I finally told him since he was so fixated on price, he should call Stanley Steemer for his cleaning needs. He replied, "Oh, I understand". I wished him luck and hung up.

Good Grief!

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
FB_IMG_1571497516799.jpg

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Not in California. Its expensive to live and operate a biz here. I hear minimums are even higher in NYC. Like $500!
With gas approaching $4+ per gallon, I’m considering raising my sqft pricing. I already raised my commercial minimum by .01. Its made a difference. You wouldn’t think .01 would matter, but it really adds up.

Reactions: Papa John

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
My minimum is $150. I get a lot of calls for 1 and 2 room condos. I book some and the ones I don't get keeps my competition from making any money.

Reactions: Nomad74

Mikey P

Administrator
My job minimum is $200. I had to do this to weed out the price shoppers. It's worked well, but I still get the people calling trying to squeeze every penny out of my minimum. Yesterday I got a call from a guy asking me all kinds of questions about my pricing. He wanted his Tile, granite/marble, hardwood, kitchen counters, and carpet cleaned. I gave him the pricing on each surface. He asked would that be more than the minimum and if I could do it all for $200. He said he really wanted his granite shiny again and asked if I could clean it. I told him that general cleaning of granite really won't help the shine and use of a crystallizer really isn't good for the long term health of the stone. He then went on and on trying to find out how many different surfaces and sqft I could clean for $200. At that point the guy had worn me out. The verbal price ping-pong had gotten to me. I finally told him since he was so fixated on price, he should call Stanley Steemer for his cleaning needs. He replied, "Oh, I understand". I wished him luck and hung up.

Good Grief!

If he makes $10 an hour you're asking for 2/3rds of his weekly take home for 2 hours of maid work, show some pity..

Reactions: BIG WOOD
Name
Jeff T
My office had a lady call and ask if we would match the price for cleaning a couch, love seat, arm chair, and a 8 X 10 wool area rug, all for the low, low price of 185$....
Well, I probably could clean the couch for that....
There is obviously IDIOTS in this industry who have no clue what they are doing, or how to set pricing...

• Wow
Reactions: hogjowl and Nomad74
Name
Jeff T
Bunch of porty racists. The other day I made $710 in 3 1/2 hours with a porty. That's a good as what I make with the truck mount but it cost me less so I made even more.
Ron, pay no attention to these guys who have NO CLUE what it’s like to operate in a city full of high rises, and underground parking.
Heck, where I live, they are developing it to be just like a mini Vancouver....
Hence the reason why I’m looking for a great porty....

Reactions: roro

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I really don't get that. Using a portable is so easy on these jobs, saving you money.
For some reason-its more expensive and difficult to get WC and PLPD insurance if you use a portable. we also have to feed a parking meter and sometimes we get expensive parking tickets. When I explain this, Customers understand why I need to charge extra. Also we may have to park far away and push the 300 lbs of equipment several blocks.
Since many companies or their employees hate to use a portable- there isn't that much decent competition. I suspect some employees of other companies sabotage the portable so that it wont work.
I started at a $50 up charge years ago. You should try it.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
For some reason-its more expensive and difficult to get WC and PLPD insurance if you use a portable. we also have to feed a parking meter and sometimes we get expensive parking tickets. When I explain this, Customers understand why I need to charge extra. Also we may have to park far away and push the 300 lbs of equipment several blocks.
Since many companies or their employees hate to use a portable- there isn't that much decent competition. I suspect some employees of other companies sabotage the portable so that it wont work.
I started at a $50 up charge years ago. You should try it.
Here it's the opposite. WC and liability insurance is more for a truck mount. I add parking and any other expenses to the job. If there is no legal parking we turn down the job. I normally use my little astro van for portable work. It fits into underground parkades easy. All of my equipment fits in or on the portable with the exception of a vacuum or crb. Probably 50% of my work is portable or encap work. I've developed systems that are easy and efficient as well as profitable for portable work. Even though the amount of carpet is dropping in condos they still have upholstery and vertical blinds that need cleaning. I have quite a few luxury condo buildings where not only do I serve the residents but clean all the hallway and common area carpets as well. I have one coming up in November that will take 4 days. Usually from 9-2 at $1000 per day. Parking is right beside the elevators and I have a dedicated washroom to fill and empty in.

Back
Top Bottom