Stain removal question for Ruggies

harryhides

Name
Tony
OK, I have a customer who has, um had a nice off-white ( of course ) chinese rug.
She spilled about a half cup of coffee ( not too hot ) and created about a 10x6 inch brown stain.
Right after this she added a little cold water and blotted up as much as she could.
So we HWE cleaned it but used only a mild neutral pre-spray and NO spotters whatsoever.

The stain is slightly less obvious now, especially when viewed with the lights off.

I have recommended that she make an insurance claim so that we can then attempt cleaning at her/insurance Co's risk. The coffee was also a de-caffeinated and therefore had some dye added to it no doubt.

I'd like to hear some suggestions about how to approach this stain situation from those of you who have actually had some experience with similar.

I do know that any wrong move will likely bleach out the stained area - nature of the chinese beast.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
just strip the dang thing out Tony and recolor if needed. We love those chinese rug stains. Can't imagine she has ins coverage for this type of problem and if she does her deductible may be many times the cost to correct, or even more than the rug is worth depending on the size.

Your basic 9 X 12 90 line chinese sells for under 2k

Ken

harryhides

Name
Tony
Ken Snow said:
just strip the dang thing out Tony and recolor if needed. We love those chinese rug stains. Can't imagine she has ins coverage for this type of problem and if she does her deductible may be many times the cost to correct, or even more than the rug is worth depending on the size.
Your basic 9 X 12 90 line chinese sells for under 2k
Ken

Been there done that though I do find re-coloring chinese rugs a tad more difficult esp when with stains that size. I don't get as much practice as your guys, Ken.

Yes, up here this kind of thing is covered all the time - less, of course, the $500 deductible and if I can restore her rug then she can cancel on the claim which is always just fine with the Insurance Companys.

What is your preferred stripper?

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
Here's Crowley's favorite

1-11.jpg

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Tony;

Use a powder reducing agent (bisulfite type).

Mix it in boiling water and spray it on.

Let dry and check results.

Safer than oxidizers.

As easy as crayolas. 8)

Larry

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Stain magic (no heat) will take out coffee stains like magic. Just don't know it's compatibility with wool. Call CTI

Dave-

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
and after you have vacuumed/rinsed the concoction out if the ivory is too white, usually sponging with a foaming shampoo will yellow the yarns enough to blend in.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Use Larry's recommendation, but do it when you have something else nearby to do so you can check it every few minutes. Rinse as soon as it gets to where you want it. If the area is lighter than the surrounding field when it dries, you can usually lighten the rest of the field slightly by applying an acidic product.

Terry

Supportive Member
Name
Terry O'Brien
this a tibetan rug which had a good size coffee stain. used stain magic for wool on it in shop, monitored its effectiveness and rinsed. Then got the color sticks going that I've learned about from harry and others here. Customer was delighted with result.
Hopefully pictures will upload for me.

T
th_IMG_2291.jpg
[/URL]
[/img]erry[imgurl=:5k6ui186][/imgurl:5k6ui186]
[imgurl=:5k6ui186]th_IMG_1804_2.jpg
th_IMG_1805_2.jpg
th_IMG_1807_2.jpg
th_IMG_2285.jpg
th_IMG_2286.jpg
th_IMG_2290.jpg
th_IMG_2291.jpg[/imgurl:5k6ui186]

G

Harrry try white vinegar. Heat the area with a hot, wet cloth, dab with vinegar, rinse, extract, and repeat. Dry the carpet well when you are done.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom