Stanley Steemer Talkin' Chit.....

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Had a friend's Mother call Stanly Steeeeemer this week cause she didn't want to bother me last minute. HMMmm..... I had cleaned her carpet at this rental before she moved in about a year ago. Let me 'splain.....light pink carpet, liv room, dining room, hall. Already splotchy in color from years of rental abuse and do-it-yourself cleaning. A nightmare color for a ghetto rental. (Remember ghetto....lot's of "extra traffic")

Stanley Steemer shows up....2 young "Dudes", probably just got finished watching their training video and helped on a few jobs. They procede to trash-talk this custy that "the previous cleaner" (me) had ruined her carpet...took the color out with his hardware store chems. (My local SS is known to tell custys that all us Mom and Pop cleaners use crap chems.) They even asked if I had pushed a little rental cleaner into the house to clean. Her Son was there, and he proceded to tell the SS guys that my TM (Genesis 59) was probably twice as powerfull as theirs....which it probably is. They quieted up after that, cleaned her carpet, then cleaned out her wallet.

You know....I don't talk shit about any other cleaner out there, regardless of their systems, but this local SS just trash talks every other cleaner. Great "ethics".

They claim they were "certified"....does SS certify there employees with IICRC (or whatever they are called now), or do they have their "own" certifying standards??

My peeve of the day.

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
There a joke buddy. Great marketers, crappy cleaners. I worked for them for 2 years 17 years ago. You are near the corporate headquarters in Akron if I remember correctly. They have a terrible rep out here in my area for soaking carpets and all the usual hack type stuff. I guess if you did get a crew who really cared and had a work ethic coupled with proper training you could get a good job. But what they pay and ask of these employees you will get what they feel the company pays them for. Not Much!

Connor

Name
Connor
And one day those bozos will call a carpet cleaner and try to tell them "how it's done cos" they "used to work for SS" :lol:

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
I met the tech that worked for our ss before they went under here. I asked him what pressure psi they cleaned at, 600 -700psi :shock: That answered my question as to why they went out of business.

Connor

Name
Connor
Stanley has a pretty good rep around here with repeat business. I don't see them advertise as much as they used to, but I see their truck at least once a day in some neighborhood. Plenty of SS door mats at customers houses, too.

What kind of machine does SS run, what sized blower?

I don't think they have a significant waste tank, do they, most the time I see a pump out hose drug across the yard.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Connor said:

the local SS in my area run big blower'd TMs .
Looked like a # 5 blower ..I'd guess a 56
they're not a private labeled "common brand name" TM with different color paint like Service Master or Serve Pro TM's I've seen

Not sure who makes them, but the one's I've seen look pretty damn solid

..l.T.A.

Connor

Name
Connor
The ServPro in my area uses TCS in their van. Nothing too proprietary looking.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Connor said:
And one day those bozos will call a carpet cleaner and try to tell them "how it's done cos" they "used to work for SS" :lol:

No shit!

dday

I worked for SS back in the 80's and early 90's - and the TM's back then were every bit as good as anything I've seen or used since. I don't know what they are using now, but I would bet that anyone here would be more than happy with an SS rig as their daily money maker if given the chance.

Dmreed4311

Supportive Member
Name
David Reed
A good friend of mines brother worked for SS and he told me that thier TM does not have a fresh water tank or waste tank? APO and hook up to water, I asked him what they do if there is no water hook up, he said they have 200 feet of water hose so it has not been a problem yet. He lasted 5 months before he got better paying job doing collection calls

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Ruff Hewn said:
Connor said:

they're not a private labeled "common brand name" TM with different color paint like Service Master or Serve Pro TM's I've seen

..l.T.A.

I think SS builds their own TM's and sells to the franchisees.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Connor said:

I've gotten those calls. Why don't they go back to Stanley and apply for their old jobs?

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Ruff Hewn said:
Connor said:

..l.T.A.

Stanley machines are essentially a Steam Genie PTO, but their power horse is a nice kubota motor, but work the same as the PTO. Same type of HX, engine coolant fills, heats the water, and pops at 215 back to the radiator of the motor. Very simple design, and could warrant great results, if the tech takes the time. There are no by passes, no shut off except if waste tank fills, or if it over heats it shuts off the engine. And yeah its a 56 blower.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Does anyone know if SS uses a pre-spray, or do they just load up the solution tank with their own brand of "rinse"?

Name
I'm Rick James
When i go to McDonalds, I don't expect a gourmet burger. SS is very similar to how McDonalds operates with their fast pace streamline service. They both make their money on high volume work with okay quality.. really depends on who is working. With such a high pace game, you have high turn over and that is what gets SS as far as reputation.

They are business men that own a carpet cleaning business.. not O/O that cleans carpets like majority here. They don't care if every last dirt partical is removed like Ron does, they care about sustained profits.. which you can do with an "average" product. They do spend great resources trying to educate those kids going through there and of course you get those bad apples that are always talked about on the BB. You hear more about SS because they are the countries largest carpet cleaning company.

They make all their own equipment right down to the sprayers and wands. Their machines are very powerful, they only have maybe a 15-20 gallon waste tank which probably pimps out their 59 blower. When I worked there many years ago they had residential and commercial prespray.. cotton cleaner and a few other products.

They run two man crews like Ken does to get in and out of houses, very similar process happens when you go to McDonalds. Of course what is never talked about is all the satisfied customers they have.. which they have a lot. If you are able to look at SS with a different perspective on what they do right vs what their techs do wrong then your opinion probably wouldn't be so harsh.. but unless you work for them or have someone like me telling you about them all you are going to know about them is what you hear from their previous company.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Caduceus said:
They run two man crews like Ken does to get in and out of houses, very similar process happens when you go to McDonalds.

In my experience running two man crews you can do a better job in nearly half the time, I wouldn't compare that to McDonalds... Kens guys have never cleaned my place so I'm not sure that they would do any worse then anyone else here.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Stanley also has an unlimited advertising budget(Must be nice).... They are in the top 3(internet advertising) for just about every town in the country!

Here is a great tip for your internet advertising... Use Stanley Steemer to your advantage!
Have stanley as one of the keywords to bring up your ad(not your website) - for us, lots of people search stanley steemer. Use different spellings also.

Have a great Easter everyone!

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Chris Adkins said:
They probably run forfrickenever too set up like that.
'

They do, swap a new motor in and good to go, you can pick them up pretty cheap too. They use hydracell pumps as well.

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
Worked for them 17 years ago for 2 years. Equipment was great! Kubota motors. Really heavy wands and stair tools but great! No pre spray at that time, we did our own special pre spraying with the wand back then. They had a large reservoir of cleaning solution on board probably similar to dry slurry I would say. Not much spotting agents at all back then. 2 man crews and my van always did a killer job and had constant request for my crew.

Problem with them was they over worked there crews. Very usual type schedules included arriving at 7am for breakdown and scheduling of day, then load you up with to many jobs which if you somehow finished early enough ( say 6pm ) they always would give you another one from a call in or some other crews schedule. 8pm or later evenings were the norm here in So Cal. I finally started to bring the van in and not answer my cb radio.

I was a lead tech and 2nd in the nation in sales so I did make decent money however. I want to say 18% with helper 21% solo. They have a complete system in place but as you know lots don't like to follow the system. Most did side cash type stuff. 1st time I went out as a helper the crew chief asks me if I wanna do this sofa for cash? I was scared for my job and got to know how certain guys were. I can't blame them as most made peanuts unless you were top dog and/ or could sell your ass off! I sold maitenance programs like they were winning lotto tickets!

I was offered to go to Utah and be 2nd in command to my current manager at the time and then get my own shop somewhere eventually. My girlfriend ( now wife ) and I were almost going to do it. Much better money, they move you, and epic snowboarding conditions but, my bigger love of surfing kept me here in So Cal and man I am happy I did.

I did meet some great life long friends and was introduced to our industry through them, so for that I thank them greatly. One friend runs the Miami cooperate and another owns his own company.

Any other SS questions I will be happy to answer and can even refer to my friend in the Miami Florida office.

P.S. We did have a apo which just went out on the lawn. Typical green pump out hose but last 10 feet or so are flat with small slits in it to desperse the water more evenly as to not overflow the area.

Happy Easter Guys

Had a lady call me the other day that talked to SS on the phone. They told her we can get your carpet kind of clean, clean, or really clean. :lol:

That is the dumbest thing I ever heard.

People want clean not kind of clean.

S

sam miller

Be intrested in knowing what sge said to get that response.

Becasue I dont care who You are. There are fugly carpets that just dont restore to that floor room look.

Not alot but it happens. Reverse nap pooling.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
jcooper said:
Stanley also has an unlimited advertising budget(Must be nice).... They are in the top 3(internet advertising) for just about every town in the country!

Here is a great tip for your internet advertising... Use Stanley Steemer to your advantage!
Have stanley as one of the keywords to bring up your ad(not your website) - for us, lots of people search stanley steemer. Use different spellings also.

Have a great Easter everyone!

Nobody has an unlimited budget. Their budget like anyone's is a factor of sales. If they are spending a lot in your market chances are the are doing a lot of work.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
danielc said:
Had a lady call me the other day that talked to SS on the phone. They told her we can get your carpet kind of clean, clean, or really clean. :lol:

Good one! The level of cleanliness goes up with the value of upsells. If you ain't buyin' extras, they're in and out in 20 minutes.

Name
I'm Rick James
rwcarpet said:
danielc said:

Good one! The level of cleanliness goes up with the value of upsells. If you ain't buyin' extras, they're in and out in 20 minutes.

Customers also hear what they want to hear on the phone too.. So you can't take her statement at full value.. I would say it's fair that SS has way more satisfied customers than not, if I remember correct the redo rate was around 3-5% or so Coit hovered around 5-6%. Take into account they have a high turn over rate and do tens of thousands of jobs per year. Now Coit, that company is a joke..

Name
I'm Rick James
Ron Werner said:
what?!! Coit can't be a joke! They are the "world's most experienced cleaners" :roll: They don't say at what however.

I believe SS's process has a Gold or Platinum SOA :shock:

Actually the some of the techs at Coit were very good at what they did as far as repairs, coloring, tile and so on. The system Coit uses is filled with waste that cuts into their profits forces them to downsize. I worked at the same Coit as Mikeys brother did, that how I found out about Mikeys childhood barbie fetish. :shock:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom