Steambrite

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Any comments? Good, bad or ugly? I'm buying another Kleenrite electric heater and the pricing seems good, but I always worry about after sales support.

Ryan

Their prices always seem to be the best. I have never ordered anything from them that required support so I couldn't tell you myself. I have heard both good and bad though from people who have though.

R

rotovacguy

Hi Willy,

I've ordered some stuff from them with good results, but like Ryan, not the stuff that would need any type of support. I've ordered a high flow kit from them, and a bunch of their house brand (Shazaam) chemicals, which work great, saved me a ton of money.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
joeynbgky said:
..but thry have a no return policy on everything. Even if its broke

Price
Quality
Service

The laws of economics say you are generally limited to choosing two of the three, unless their policy is to screw the other guy, and pass the savings onto you. :wink:

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Shawn Forsythe said:
joeynbgky said:
..but thry have a no return policy on everything. Even if its broke

Price
Quality
Service

The laws of economics say you are generally limited to choosing two of the three, unless their policy is to screw the other guy, and pass the savings onto you. :wink:

No disagreement here Shawn. The last one I bought was direct from Kleenrite, but Steambrite has the same product for $125 less. I'm very satisfied with it, but I'm also a smart shopper. That little wad fits nicely in my jeans. :D I assume any warranty issues could be handled by the manufacturer. Insure the shipping and I should be good to go. And it certainly helps that our dollar is near par :D

G

Ordered several tools and equipment from them. No talking just internet ordering, and no problems at all. Good company.

randy

Name
Randy
joeynbgky said:
sandy over there is great. but thry have a no return policy on everything. Even if its broke

How in the World can they have no return policy on broken merchandise. The Uniform Commercial Code is pretty clear: a item being sold must be "merchantability". If SteamBrite is that clueless someone needs to have the Federal Trade Commission or the Attorney General Of Texas tudor them a bit.

LeeCory

I've not ordered anything from them yet, but I fully intend to since their prices beat most places. They take orders and drop ship.

It says on their website support will be provided by the manufacturer. pretty simple.

There really isn't much of anything that we buy that requires much help with, except a truckmount.

I think it would make sense if other distributors matched prices on the net and also drop shipped those items to save cost.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
LeeCory said:
I think it would make sense if other distributors matched prices on the net and also drop shipped those items to save cost.

It probably wouldn't work too well for the distributor that wants to service the customer in the manner everyone thinks he should.

They (non-servicing drop-ship dealers) save a ton of money when they deal on a "sell and forget" basis. I suppose I could ponder treating my walk-in customers in a similar manner, but I would never think of actually implementing it, and I wouldn't. Nor would any of my manufactures tolerate skipping out on my responsibilities to the customers in my territory to service them all directly.

We never charge labor on equipment within the warranty period, even though most manufacturer warranties exclude it. It's part of being a full service distributor. I just don't think we could offer two levels of service.

jcdsog

I've ordered from them a few times. Seems that no one can match their prices. Customer service seems to be ok. I even ordered a product, paid for it and shipping, and got a call back that said shipping for that item was too much and that the total charged to my card was going to be less... around $10 if i remember. So that was pretty good. Thanks again Sandy.

I've used some of the chems as well and they seem to be pretty good.

randy

Name
Randy
Shawn Forsythe said:
LeeCory said:

It probably wouldn't work too well for the distributor that wants to service the customer in the manner everyone thinks he should.

They (non-servicing drop-ship dealers) save a ton of money when they deal on a "sell and forget" basis. I suppose I could ponder treating my walk-in customers in a similar manner, but I would never think of actually implementing it, and I wouldn't. Nor would any of my manufactures tolerate skipping out on my responsibilities to the customers in my territory to service them all directly.

We never charge labor on equipment within the warranty period, even though most manufacturer warranties exclude it. It's part of being a full service distributor. I just don't think we could offer two levels of service.

What cleaner in their right mind wants a local dealer that is like steambrite. Sure a local dealer has to be somewhat price comparable but they still have to cover their higher overhead then a drop shipper that runs away from customer service.
When I call my suppliers I want to talk with someone like Shawn, Jim Pemberton or Greenie not a twenty year old kid that only knows how to read the order screen back to you and repeat your questions. Service cost money guys, and it's worth it.

Recently I had a conversation with a Microsoft rep from India. He would repeat every thing I said and then say , is that correct ? God help me if I ever have to go through that with a supplier.

R

rotovacguy

I've dealt with Steambrite many times, done many transactions with them, and NEVER had a problem. I've never had a "20 year old" give me bogus advise, or screw up my order. If I have a question, I specifically ask for Donald or Sandy, and they are always informative and nice. Great customer service. I can't exactly say the same for another Texas based disty that frequents these boards.

With that being said, I've purchased products from John Olsen (Superior), and Jon-Don and had excellent service, as well, and will continue to do business with them, too.

Greenie

randy said:
What cleaner in their right mind wants a local dealer that is like steambrite. Sure a local dealer has to be somewhat price comparable but they still have to cover their higher overhead then a drop shipper that runs away from customer service.
When I call my suppliers I want to talk with someone like Shawn, Jim Pemberton or Greenie not a twenty year old kid that only knows how to read the order screen back to you and repeat your questions. Service cost money guys, and it's worth it.

Recently I had a conversation with a Microsoft rep from India. He would repeat every thing I said and then say , is that correct ? God help me if I ever have to go through that with a supplier.

First off...Thank You Randy!

Second: The Microsoft Indian support isn't too far off as Carpet Cleaners continue to support the Wal-Martization of the industry, and when it happens you can thank yourselves first.

I can promise you some of the greatest advancements and improvements in the industry in the last decade did not come from the SteamBrites of the world,but form the little guy.

Yet, it continues to amaze me how the little guy carpet cleaner wants his customers to select Him over the big company, but is a complete hypocrit when it comes to buying his supplies and getiting some service.

You know the funniest thing about this whole scenario is the big guy ISN'T always cheaper when the smoke clears.
Little guys tend to Take Care of those that take care of them.

It's all about relationships.

Hey Willy,

In regards to the electric heater (I'm assuming a HeatRite) you would like to buy, as the manufacturer we do stand behind the product. If you have any problems with it just let us know.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Shawn I met your dad almost 28 years ago, and he was ahead of his time. He did an impressive demonstration that showed FLOW to be more important than pressure in cleaning. It involved testing different jets as they moved sand under various conditions.

Is Steve Knight still in the business? I heard his dad, Arlen, passed away.

Thanks,
Lee

LeeCory

The next time I have a distributor tell me the reason they rape a customer on prices is that the customer has to keep in mind the lifetime earning potential of the product they are buying... I am going to puke.

I may go into the business of selling scalpels to doctors. I will sell each one for 1,000 bucks cause over the lifetime of that scalpel the doctor will make hundreds of thousands of dollars.

rick imby

Name
Rick
The business model of the carpet cleaning industry is under pressure. Manufacturer --local Disty---Customer Or Direct mail order model.

The computer industry is the classic. Manufacturers IBM, Hp, Compak, sold to local dealers and the dealers offered support to the customer.

Direct Sales--Dell, Gateway built and sold stuff from their garages. The level of service was lower and over the phone but most people felt they would rather have the $100 in their pocket. The dealers could not compete because of the multiple levels of service. Educating customers that then took their business to mail order.

Carpet Cleaning industry markups

Manufacturer all have close to the same expenses in building their products. My guess is Mytee is spending within 5% of the same cost to build a Porty as US Air or anyone else that builds a similar product.

They will price this item to cover shipping and give the local dealer at least 40% markup. As a local retail location you cannot survive on less than 40%. If you have great employees that spend a lot of time educating the customers that is expensive plus you have to have your store open even when it is slow and pay rent.

For the customer that the local dealer educated on cleaning technique and gave a ton of knowledge the cleaner then feels he knows it all and can buy direct. The local guy is a rip off because as Willy just stated the local disty is $125 higher on a product.

The Direct sales model works with 10 to 15 percent margin and lots of volume especially if the manufacturer covers all the warranty work. Often they can buy in much larger volumes so they buy cheaper and pay less for shipping.

Direct sales take the volume out of the local dealers business so his margins must go up.

It is a very viscious circle and only the strong local distributors will be around in 5 years. Not to knock the boards but they are a great way for the mail order guys and ebay guys to get attention and increase their volume.

If you have a small disty that has been servicing your truckmount and you would like to keep him around. Buy your chems and other stuff from him. Tell him why you are not a Mail order guy. Build a relationship with him or lose him. Your cost of doing business could go up drastically if your truck goes down and you cannot fix it. If the $100 a month extra in Chems will put you out of business you will spend at your local disty become a Mail order Whore and don't bitch when you pay through the nose for local service----If you can get it.

Rick

If you buy direct from the manufacturer they have to match the suggested list of the products they manufacture to support the local dealers. If they undercut the local dealer and the local dealer finds out they will raise heck.

rick imby

Name
Rick
LeeCory said:
The next time I have a distributor tell me the reason they rape a customer on prices is that the customer has to keep in mind the lifetime earning potential of the product they are buying... I am going to puke.

I may go into the business of selling scalpels to doctors. I will sell each one for 1,000 bucks cause over the lifetime of that scalpel the doctor will make hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Rape you on price? I bet you have a lot higher margin with a lot less overhead than your local disty has. Are you raping your customer? Would you even be in business if it weren't for your local disty?

LeeCory

Rick, Yes I would... cause I've NEVER had a local distributor. I need to drive 2 hours in any direction to find one.

Greenie

Lee, what dumbass Disty would tell you they rape customers? and defend it?
Frankly, some that understand business, just might be a little surprised at some of the lower margins out there......I was :shock:

Frankly I don't care what the margin is, it's either good enough to keep me profitable, or it's not, I'll just return to cleaning and be "another" competitor, everyone is entitled to prosper. You just have to figure out if you want a good supplier or a good competitor, cause frankly life was simpler when i was pushing wand and more profitable, I just sweat more.

Ryan

LeeCory said:

Have you seen the prices of medical equipment? Thats pretty much the philosophy.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Before I get slimed, my point was simple. Last time I bought directly from Kleenrite because there are no distributors here and yes Greenie we get raped on prices here. Ask Bob Foster about the main supplier here. Or Ron Werner. I walked in to get a ping pong ball shut off - $65. That was the screen and ball. I walked away and got it for way less elsewhere. A quart of Hydramaster OJ? $45. It used to be that our dollar was .70 US so you sort of expected to pay more. Not any more as it sits at .95. We saw SFA of any savings in imported product, in most cases prices went up. That was when I started ordering from below the 49th.

The Prochem dealer runs a little more reasonably, but they don't always have what you want - like a 3250 watt heater. Buying from Kleenrite I paid list as that pricing was to protect their distributor chain. Steembrite was $125 less. Same product, more money in my jeans. If I go buy gas and I can save 20 cents a gallon at Exxon over Chevron, good business sense says buy the same product at a lower price.

I've tried to call one distributor a couple of times last week. No answer, no return phone call even though I left my cell phone number on the voice mail and my home number would have shown on the call display. I don't do business that way or run my business that way. I don't mind spending a few more bucks, but I want a supplier that steps up to the plate and helps me as it's a partnership- your success is only as good as those behind you that share in that success. For all the maligning of Ed Valentine, not one person has ever grasped the concept of customer service like I've received from Cross American.

I'm known as a bit of a hothead, but I just don't suffer bullshit very well. When you call them as you see them, Miss Congeniality trophies won't adorn the mantle.

Total_Rookie

Name
Joseph Torrez
We have had a bad experience with steambrite. We are going to attempt to resolve this issue and never do business with them again. They are just too busy to deal with issues that they create. This is a buyer beware store. (Especially if buying online or phone order.)

Price or stress ?? Ill pay a lil more for no drama or stress.

Name
Nate W.
We have had a bad experience with steambrite. We are going to attempt to resolve this issue and never do business with them again. They are just too busy to deal with issues that they create. This is a buyer beware store. (Especially if buying online or phone order.)

Price or stress ?? Ill pay a lil more for no drama or stress.

Just curious on the product you bought that's in question... What is it and what's the problem with it?

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
Ordered my first porty from Steambrite, it arrived 3 weeks later than promised and was only the 200 psi model instead of the 500 psi model. It was also missing the pressure gauge that was pictured online.\

I called them and they didn't give a damn, nor did they care that I knew they didn't give a damn. I got zip from them, and I wouldn't trust them to sell me a used condom.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom