Steamin Demon VS TM video

Name
Lee Stockwell
I saw a similar side-by-side at the original Summerfest ten years ago. Just again validates HIGH FLOW as an overlooked function of deep cleaning.

At the end of the demos back then a (relatively) high flow propane fired unit made a noticable improvement once again.

There's always more dirt....

Thanks,
Lee

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Lee - I ended up with Gary Berg's old unit. I had a similar experience to Marty with the Rotovac..... :wink:

Name
Lee Stockwell
The one at Summerfest was Downey's. Gary couldn't bring his on the bus...and Super 8 needed it back anyway.

Sorry you got burned.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
It won my "ElecTroCob" award when it came out.

:shock:

Name
Shawn Forsythe
That TM guy has an absolutely horrible wand technique. I think a self-contained Rug Doctor would have bested him too.

Shawn Forsythe said:
That TM guy has an absolutely horrible wand technique. I think a self-contained Rug Doctor would have bested him too.

Whats wrong with his wand stroke? He did a slow front and back wet stroke and good dry strokes. Good heat and vac too.
What gives?

randy

Name
Randy
Having purchased 3 steamin demons I could be considered somewhat biased but here is my take on them:
Great unit, super dependable, very cheap to maintain and high flow extraction will get you wonderful results. For commercial work, empty apartments and homes they are great. In occupied homes with furniture it's a pain to clean with a demon, and with dry times more of a consideration you are better off with a truck mount OR a high performance portable where you have more vacuum & are cleaning with a wand. Where a demon really beats a truck mount is ease to use, no pushing a wand, no bending it's about as easy as you can get. Much more operator friendly with respect to "wear & tear " on your body. The dry times with a steamon demon are not very impressive, you are putting out 3-4 gallons a minute with ONE small vac motor for recover so that is to be expected. The stair cleaning attachment for a demon is really lame, so bad you really will hate doing steps with it, doing upholstery with it is just plain dumb.

If you do most empty homes, apartments and/ or commercial it is hard to beat. For a mainly residential cleaner (occupied homes) I wouldn't recommend it.

The video does prove a point about soil removal. Cleaners have been conned into thinking that their truck mount is really removing more soil then it really is. That debate was intensified with the growth of VLM systems (where does the dirt go bla bla). Well watching this video would kind of prove the point of many VLM only guys as it appears that this high powered, high heat super sucker was leaving a ton of dirt in the carpet that a $2600-$3,400 unit was able to extract. Where does some of the dirt go when you HWE , it stays in the fiber but won't vacuum out latter like a decent encap product will.

Another option for high flow would be the rotovac 360 operating off the their new CFX. Same features of the demon, about the same price and easier to use in occupied homes. Just a thought.

randy

Name
Randy
On commercial carpet you really can have two hour dry times. On a plush residential carpets I have seen it take 12-16 hours to be totally dry. My basement carpet is super plush and it took 16 hours. I have a glide on one unit and it doesn't seem to make a bit of difference on dry times and fails to improve the ease of using the unit. Walking backwards with a steamin demon is of course a totally different exercise than pushing a wand back & forth and the glide seems like a waste.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
That carpet needed a good prevac. All I could see was used was the turbine unit with the TM. Those won't get the soil that needs to come out.
Give that same carpet a good hour of prevac, then a nice slow pull with a greenhorn, and the SD might get a little more soil, but it won't as much as in the video.

Name
Eric Valentine
Ron Werner said:
That carpet needed a good prevac. All I could see was used was the turbine unit with the TM. Those won't get the soil that needs to come out.
Give that same carpet a good hour of prevac, then a nice slow pull with a greenhorn, and the SD might get a little more soil, but it won't as much as in the video.
I am glad I wasn't the only one thinking it needed a proper vacuuming. I should have taken a picture of what I pulled out of one house that the person moving out had already prevacuumed. I had to empty the dirt cup on the Momentum 13 times. 4 bedrooms, family room, and living room gave up over 10 pounds of dirt and dog hair. The renter just said "Holy Sh-t!" when he saw what I pulled out.

Name
Nate W.
Eric Valentine said:
[quote="Ron Werner":2vp77v9r]That carpet needed a good prevac. All I could see was used was the turbine unit with the TM. Those won't get the soil that needs to come out.
I am glad I wasn't the only one thinking it needed a proper vacuuming. I should have taken a picture of what I pulled out of one house that the person moving out had already prevacuumed. I had to empty the dirt cup on the Momentum 13 times. 4 bedrooms, family room, and living room gave up over 10 pounds of dirt and dog hair. The renter just said "Holy Sh-t!" when he saw what I pulled out.[/quote:2vp77v9r]

He always wondered where his dog went. :lol:

Grant D

That's the first I've heard say that the SD takes that long to dry. I've heard several claim in the 2 hour range which would be highly impressive if true for how much water is getting flushed through. But supposedly it is a 3 stage vac and only 8 inches off the ground so seems like it would have some good recovery?

Would it only pose a difficulty in residential if you're moving a lot of furniture... if cleaning around furn it is ok?

I'm considering a normal portable setup vs. sd setup vs cfx type setup to go with my OP. I don't like the idea of hauling all the stuff out of the van and setup time etc. with the portable so I was thinking the SD due to superior recovery etc, now you have me questioning that. I also appreciate the input about the stair/uph components. That's a factor.

Thanks for this thread.

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
Yeah the sd leaves the carpet soaked. I would love to try out a cfx with a wand. You would have to put huge jets on the wand to compensate for lack of pressure, but I would love to give it a try.

Greenie

As usual, I don't know where to start, but to keep some newb from possibly wasting his money, I will try.

A glide does help a demon.

In my own (Olefin Berber) testing, the dry times were improved by 2 hours easily, (ask Lisa for her opinion) but that is not the main selling point. One of the fundamental points of a demon or any "pull as you go" self contained extractor is it ONLY extracts on the BACK stroke.
You have to lift it, (tilting and rolling unit forward) and begin the Next Pass. With the aid of a glide, you get not only a MUCH easier forward pass, it just pushes forward like a wand, but you also get a FREE dry pass. It's so effective, you really don't need a dedicated dry pass.

That is huge.

Now as for the CFX. It's NOT a high flow extractor, it's not in the same class as a demon. It's probably got 1/2 the flow of a demon, so buy one if you want a small unit, but don't think it's a replacement for high flow extraction, it's not, and the vacuum isn't gonna be any better with 25' of 1.5" vac hose going to your wand either. And yes you will need oversized jets to even make a wand work this way at 40 psi. I assume you are gliding that wand with a hole glide, if you even go down that road.

I don't know of anyone with a CFX with over 200 hours on it, so the durability of the pump out has yet to be determined, if that ever fails you are now creating a waterloss.

A well designed high performance portable that can run truckmount rated tools at 1.5 gpm is just a much more universal tool. I've still yet to see a unit that can out perform the M5....I'm waiting. So consider that in your next purchase, many Distributors from MB sell them.

I like information, but I prefer accurate information, this is MB afterall.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Can we get back to the guys crappy wand stroke? If my old eyes aren't deceiving me he was spraying on the forward stroke.

Steve Smith

KevinL said:
Can we get back to the guys crappy wand stroke? If my old eyes aren't deceiving me he was spraying on the forward stroke.
You dont spray on the forward stroke?

-JB-

Name
JB
I still wouldn't lay on that carpet after it dries if you promised to bathe me in muratic acid afterwords!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom