Strange chair discoloration

KingCleaning

Name
Dan
Hey everyone, I'm brand new here so please forgive any errors in posting. I have a tech who cleaned a chair with fabric master and muliphase and it seems to have left strange almost bleached out areas. Anyone have any thoughts? Truck mount CDS, sapphire uph tool.

Thanks in advance Chair Jisook.jpeg

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It just looks like it was drying. ??? The outside back and sides generally dry first because there is no fill behind them. What did it dry like?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
The other piece of upholstery to the right appears to have the same issue.

The spots seem random; was there any pre-existing issue that might contribute to this?

Was there something specific about the job that made you choose to apply the deodorizer (not looking to fault the deodorizer, but wondering what might have gone on before you got there....and what they might have applied to remedy the problem)

How old are the pieces?

How soiled was the upholstery?

Did you apply the prespray everywhere, or just on heavily soiled arms and cushions?

Did you apply the deodorizer with a trigger sprayer over the entire piece, or was it in the extraction solution?

Can you identify the fiber family? (natural vs. synthetic is good enough)

Reactions: LCCFL and Mikey P

doylebloss

Supportive Member
Name
Doyle Bloss
FabricMaster HD or FabricMaster Fine Fabric? Did your technician pretest the solutions in an inconspicuous area? There is nothing in either solution you used (including MultiPhase) which would have a bleaching or color loss effect on a properly dyed synthetic fiber. The splotchy areas do indicate a wetter area vs a dryer area but that would have gone away with time and further drying. Your upholstery tool would have extracted with a steady flow of solution, so I don't think it has anything to do with the tool you used.

KingCleaning

Name
Dan
The other piece of upholstery to the right appears to have the same issue.

The spots seem random; was there any pre-existing issue that might contribute to this?

Was there something specific about the job that made you choose to apply the deodorizer (not looking to fault the deodorizer, but wondering what might have gone on before you got there....and what they might have applied to remedy the problem)

How old are the pieces?

How soiled was the upholstery?

Did you apply the prespray everywhere, or just on heavily soiled arms and cushions?

Did you apply the deodorizer with a trigger sprayer over the entire piece, or was it in the extraction solution?

Can you identify the fiber family? (natural vs. synthetic is good enough)
It appeared on both pieces that were cleaned. The customer claims they are 20 years old and had never been cleaned but were in good condition. Prespray would have been applied with a trigger sprayed across the entirety of the piece. Chair is blended polyester fiber "Resin treated"

• Wow
Reactions: Lee Stockwell

KingCleaning

Name
Dan
FabricMaster HD or FabricMaster Fine Fabric? Did your technician pretest the solutions in an inconspicuous area? There is nothing in either solution you used (including MultiPhase) which would have a bleaching or color loss effect on a properly dyed synthetic fiber. The splotchy areas do indicate a wetter area vs a dryer area but that would have gone away with time and further drying. Your upholstery tool would have extracted with a steady flow of solution, so I don't think it has anything to do with the tool you used.
The only solution that may have been introduced with the sapphire tool would be "Clean Free"

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Chair is blended polyester fiber "Resin treated"

That's what it is stuffed with. You'll need to do a burn test to know for sure what the material that you cleaned was made from.

Would it be fair to say that the light areas might be relative to where spray bursts of your prespray might have been applied? Fabricmaster HD is a great product, and cuts heavy grease and oil quickly, but if that's a natural fiber that's 20 years old, its not impossible for there to be some color loss.

Its also not impossible that in 20 years that they used other "stuff" on it, and that your hot water extraction removed dye weakened by their previous applications of GKW*

What type of odor did they complain about? People often will spray any sort of material on fabric to remove offensive odors, and that could be what weakened the dyes, not the Fabricmaster HD.

Its hard to know based on the pictures and what's been shared.

In my experience, what we're seeing looks like color loss, and its just a matter of what it was that caused the loss of color.

*GKW means "God Knows What"

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
What does the tech remember? Does he recall spraying those lighter areas with precondition? Those are odd areas to spray heavily. The left panel on the chair to the right only has a small area affected yet the one in the forefront is riddled with spots.

I've seen the dyes strip out of mattresses where there were overlapping passes from the tool. However I've never seen anything like what you're showing.

Personally I'd pick it up and make your attempts at home. If you can't get it corrected you can run it to an upholsterer and see what that will set you back.

How is the client handling this? Is she demanding new? Would reupholstering suffice?
Would she accept a percentage or the whole thing?

It doesn't appear correctable, so you might start thinking about these things.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
What does the tech remember? Does he recall spraying those lighter areas with precondition? Those are odd areas to spray heavily. The left panel on the chair to the right only has a small area affected yet the one in the forefront is riddled with spots.

I've seen the dyes strip out of mattresses where there were overlapping passes from the tool. However I've never seen anything like what you're showing.

Personally I'd pick it up and make your attempts at home. If you can't get it corrected you can run it to an upholsterer and see what that will set you back.

How is the client handling this? Is she demanding new? Would reupholstering suffice?
Would she accept a percentage or the whole thing?

It doesn't appear correctable, so you might start thinking about these things.
On 20 year old chairs, I'm thinking I might comp the cleaning and give you a hundred bucks. Jim raises an interesting point. What was the odor from? You know they sprayed it with febreeze or something.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Ron K

Check it with a Black Light! And your nose.
Agree with JP also.
Does it fit in your FRM? Hate to say that but.......

Terry

Supportive Member
Name
Terry O'Brien
The chair is also located in room with a lot of sunlight which can make the dye lighter and unstable.

jeffexe

Name
jeff
It looks pretty obvious to me that the spots are from a spray bottle, either from tech or the client. 20 year old chair in sunlight too. It is too late now, but sometimes it is just better to walk away. Especially if you have techs qualifying and performing the service. Seriously, that skirt has warning signs all over it.

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Wow, this is gut wrenching and a cleaner's nightmare. I tell people I can't guarantee results against booby traps. How did your tech apply the prespray? Like @jeffexe stated, it looks like it was sprayed on with a pump trigger spray bottle. Was the prespray diluted correctly? May be a little pH damage happening.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Is it possible the technician could've just grabbed the wrong bottle? Do you have any oxidizer formulas in a similar looking bottle?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Is it possible the technician could've just grabbed the wrong bottle? Do you have any oxidizer formulas in a similar looking bottle?

When I worked for our cleaning company in the 70's I made the mistake of checking what was in my spray bottles by smelling them.

Sadly, our wall cleaner had the same fragrance as our upholstery prespray.

I bled out a beautiful floral design sofa.

It looked like a kindergarten water color when I was done, but without any of the loving praise from the owner.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom