Strange interaction with prospective customer

F

FB7777

Guy sends an email requesting a quote for 3 rooms apporx 450 sq feet total

Wants a price, complete description of our process, , names and numbers of 3 customers in his area and a detailed reason as to why he should select my company over the competition

I reply with a quote, a link to my web page ( he should know it as this is how he found us ) and requested he contact us so we could discuss our cleaning method and even schedule an appointment to provide an in home estimate if he would prefer.

I assumed that he may be a bit apprehensive to try a new company so taling personally on the phone or face to face would allow him to assess my company better. I rarely do in home estimates, maybe 2-3 per year so even this was a stretch for me

The guy fires back a reply stating, " are you going to satisfy my other requests or just give me a price? "

I'm gonna leave it at that and if the socially retarded freak wishes to take my advice and contact us I'm going to interview him and see why I should let him purchase some of my time to clean his rooms.

What weirdos have you guys run into lately

F

FB7777

his address and name checks out, he's actually in my town, but I hadn't thought of that. Maybe the email doesn't belong to the name of the individual at the address, but I doubt it

I've given references on commercial bids but I don't want prospects calling my customers to sell jobs for me, I think its an odd request

Of course the reference provided is going to give a positive experience.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
It does seem odd for a residential carpet cleaning job. Maybe just reply asking him for his number so you can call him and say you don't give out customers phone numbers and likewise would never give his out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

F

FB7777

Solid advice Ken and I'd be more inclined with 3 feet of snow on the ground and a light schedule but I'm going to let this go

I thought it was an odd and abrasive way to respond to my reply

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Fred,
That guy may be a wacko or he may not, you never know.

On the other hand it may be a good idea to compose an email, that states what you do, what makes you different and a few links. All you have to do then is copy, paste, adjust the name and voila: you got a personal response.

Just like you, I shy away from clients that give me bad vibes. However, every once in a while I've been proven wrong.

It will also help you get your marketing message to be more pointed and concise, in short- better. So it will definitely not be a waste of your time.
And who knows, you may get a good client out of it.

Reactions: FB7777

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Okay...Okay...Okay so you won't clean my carpet!

Will you at least chew off my toe nails?

Name
Lee Stockwell
You learn to trust your "radar". That red light is ON for a good reason.

I had a goof call my 800 number at 4am...and he was local to boot.

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
Wow! You mean a whole 3 rooms for this jerk! You know this is just the kind of guy that will be the most particular, want it the cheapest and call you about the dye spot on 1 yarn tip.

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
If it looks walks and quacks like a duck - it's a duck.

If there is anything 1 thing that has held 99.99% true with customers in my tenure is if they are schmucks on the phone from go - they'll be customers you don't want.

For 98% of them:
-how soon are you looking for an appointment, unfortunately we don't have anything this week, in fact we are booked out just a wee bit over 4 weeks right now

For the real schmucks:
-do you have a pen handy ma'am/sir? Write this number down....317......XXX......XXXX, that's the number to XXX carpet cleaning, I believe they will be a better fit for your needs.

Last edited:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I agree that this person's initial approach has "problem customer" written all over it. Its not unusual for someone to be concerned about bringing a stranger into their home, but his manner of asking and response is such that I'd avoid him.

Its easy to say that the public has legitimate concerns about who they invite into their homes, but your risks as cleaners can be as high, or higher.

In any potential dispute about property damage, theft, or other accusations about criminal behavior, you would be the one with the higher burden of proof.

I had a customer, long since retired, who required a reference be provided by one of his current customers before he'd accept a new client, then he'd interview THEM before he'd accept them.

It wasn't a marketing scheme, it was his way of keeping his life simpler, and the business he chose to keep small as an owner/operator low stress.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I had a simular situation happen. It seems those are all the red flags for the problem child customers.Thats why I love my vacant rental units!

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Guy sends an email requesting a quote for 3 rooms apporx 450 sq feet total

Wants a price, complete description of our process, , names and numbers of 3 customers in his area and a detailed reason as to why he should select my company over the competition

I reply with a quote, a link to my web page ( he should know it as this is how he found us ) and requested he contact us so we could discuss our cleaning method and even schedule an appointment to provide an in home estimate if he would prefer.

I assumed that he may be a bit apprehensive to try a new company so taling personally on the phone or face to face would allow him to assess my company better. I rarely do in home estimates, maybe 2-3 per year so even this was a stretch for me

The guy fires back a reply stating, " are you going to satisfy my other requests or just give me a price? "

I'm gonna leave it at that and if the socially retarded freak wishes to take my advice and contact us I'm going to interview him and see why I should let him purchase some of my time to clean his rooms.

What weirdos have you guys run into lately

Sounds like a competitor playing with you..

Or it could be a person that has a personality disorder. He or she maybe the best customer for the next 20years but doesn't have the "meeting new people" skills. Socially awkward not overly intelligent person, who is trying to sound a bit too important in an effort to make you feel smaller therefore him a bit better.

Could be just another foreigner that doesn't have the true understanding of the weight of the words. He may think there is nothing wrong with his request the way he said it because in his language it is translated that way. Oh to deal with those abrasive foreigners.. :lol:

Willy P

Name
Willy P

Or it could be a person that has a personality disorder. He or she maybe the best customer for the next 20years but doesn't have the "meeting new people" skills. Socially awkward not overly intelligent person, who is trying to sound a bit too important in an effort to make you feel smaller therefore him a bit better.

That describes fred to a T. Called himself?

:lol:

Wait for the bitchy response, complete with travel itinerary

steve_64

fred, sounds like he has the same attitude you do. youre both too good for each other.

i wouldnt give him phone numbers but i do have several letters of reference i would email him. i would charge him a premium though since thats what hes expecting from the way it sounds. he probably wants to make sure you prespray or dont use bonnets. maybe he has allergies to certain products but failed to voice his real concerns. iagree that a face to face or even phone call would be more suited for closing the sale.

ive cleaned for some folks like this and once the work is done they go back to normal and are almost overly polite. they are typically referal machines too.

i have a customer whos husband lost use of his legs in an accident. hes always drunk and often its just him home. one time he couldnt find his wallet and accused me of stealing it.
i told him no problem lets call the cops because i want to get paid. he came up with the cash and later his wife called apologizing.
i still clean for them 3 or 4 times a year.

steve_64

Could be just another foreigner that doesn't have the true understanding of the weight of the words. He may think there is nothing wrong with his request the way he said it because in his language it is translated that way. Oh to deal with those abrasive foreigners.. :lol:

id say the guy felt he got screwed once so now hes overly cautious. you just have to help him overcome his fear and you will have a customer for life.
the fact he replied back says he wants to use freds business but hes looking for something particular. something he didnt like from the last cleaner. anything from over wetting to spots or odors returning. i often ask why they are cleaning in the first place to get them talking about conditions and issues especially before a phone quote.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The guy sounds rough but what he is asking for isn't unreasonable. I'd charge him full rate plus and supply him with what he asked for.

I can see he is worried about who is going in his home and if others in his neighborhood use you them maybe he can trust you. We deal with a lot of people with money and they don't always have the best of manors when deal with us lowly carpet cleaners. But we love them anyway....because they give us some of their money. :winky:

Seriously people are busy and don't have the time or friends to check you out that's why he might want the referrals.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I had a customer, long since retired, who required a reference be provided by one of his current customers before he'd accept a new client, then he'd interview THEM before he'd accept them.

It wasn't a marketing scheme, it was his way of keeping his life simpler, and the business he chose to keep small as an owner/operator low stress.
Sounds to me that he made his life a lot more complicated, not simpler.
May belong to Mikey's board paranoia department :winky:

In reality, unless one advertises for the likes, how many crazies do we actually get?
One every few years?

And the experienced cleaner knows how to spot them pretty quickly. If one does, you politely let them go ("We re booked till February 2013")
Otherwise there are some people that are just a little different, (not talking particularly about Fred's example) some may turn to be a great client.
If your gut reaction is to run away, listen to it. However, one needs to understand that some people are just wired a little differently.

F

FB7777

Wait for the bitchy response, complete with travel itinerary
He called this AM... I gave him your name Willy

I hope that's OK

Told him you'd do a great job , and to just look past your Level3 Pedo appearance and equipment that would make a custodian laugh

Just booked Aruba this week ... You ever been?

Outside your hometown I mean

Willy P

Name
Willy P
He called this AM... I gave him your name Willy

I hope that's OK

Told him you'd do a great job , and to just look past your Level3 Pedo appearance and equipment that would make a custodian laugh

Just booked Aruba this week ... You ever been?

Outside your hometown I mean

Thanks for the referral Fred! No, I don't get out much. It's hard to move the rock I live under. Are you on Xanax or smoking weed or something? There's just no bite left, or I'm becoming insensitive.Weird.:dejection:

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Or if You have online reviews point him to those and Like Ken said Your dont bother Your repeat customers with those request. and explain your process. I believe explain what we do and offer is huge.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
you can always spot the future problem person. It is easier just not to get involved. I had a similar one and had the same requests along with a copy of my insurance papers

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
If someone is giving me problems in the beginning, I walk. Its rare that I have had a case turn out great that gave me a bad feeling at the start.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom