Stuck Blower...???

Name
I'm Rick James
I basically stole a machine with a blower that wont spin.. I have tried soaking it in PB blaster and wd 40 with the pipe wrench, do some of these just go bad? It has about 3,000 hours on it and it did sit for a couple of years before I got to it.

Any advice on dealing with this blower? I saw Johns Heat exchange sales refurbished blowers so gonna call him in the AM. This one is a #4 dhp blower.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Nix on the pipe wrench. It will likely damage the shaft.

After dousing with WD40 and or kerosene, let it soak for at least a couple hours.

Then take a piece of wood about 1.5" x 1.5" x about 18" long (a "two by two") that can be inserted into the inlet or exhaust of the blower against the lobe.

SMACK the CRAP out of the end of it it with a BIG hammer until the lobe moves.

If this doesn't seem to work, LOOSEN the end plate bolts (no need to remove them), and repeat the hammer work.

In MOST cases the blower will be just fine.

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
Follow Stockwells advice. I did about 5 years a go and it freed up mine.

Golden Boy

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan
Lee Stockwell said:
After dousing with WD40 and or kerosene, let it soak for at least a couple hours.

Then take a piece of wood about 1.5" x 1.5" x about 18" long (a "two by two") that can be inserted into the inlet or exhaust of the blower against the lobe.

SMACK the CRAP out of the end of it it with a BIG hammer until the lobe moves.

X2
worked like a charm!

Name
BradFenstermaker
Lee's advice and if ya need a blower call Tuthill direct. They have refurbs sitting on the shelf for a nice discount. You never now how that blower was treated for 3000hrs.

Once its free check that blower shaft for any play up/down, left/right. The problem may be burnt up bearing.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Lee Stockwell said:
Nix on the pipe wrench. It will likely damage the shaft.

If this doesn't seem to work, LOOSEN the end plate bolts (no need to remove them), and repeat the hammer work.

In MOST cases the blower will be just fine.

1. I would plug the bottom,

2. fill the blower with OMS

3. Loosen the front end plate bolts (& maybe the rear bolts)

4. Then try to rotate the shaft pulley with a chain wrench.

Larry

Mike Draper

I would hook to to my trailer hitch and drive down the street real fast, that should knock it loose.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
Stuck mine in a big tub full of degreaser solution, loosened bolts, and did wood/hammer trick like Lee said. Worked great.

Name
I'm Rick James
I live in WA, where is the closest place to have a blower rebuilt and cost (how long will it take) or is there any leads on a refurbished one? looking for a 45.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I did what Lee suggested and got the blower unstuck, but it is not a smooth 360 turn, some turns it'll get stuck some, but if I push on it it'll turn. Should I just keep blasting pb blaster on it? I've already gone thru 4-6 bottles the last few times I've used on it.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
tmdry said:
dc klaatu said:
warm water is best

Details would help a bit here. Thanks

fire it up
get the blower up to operating temps (restrict the vac port and it will get there quicker)
now pour some water into the upstream side of the blower
Lots of places to do that depending on your TM..I use the WD40 oil port on mine .
if no remote places on yours, you have to pour thru the vac port inside the waste tank

you'll see a bunch of steam when you first introduce the water , then gunky black/brown water will run out the exhaust port
Run blower til thoroughly dry ('bout 5-10 minutes is good)

NOTE...if have blower heat HX'ers DON'T do it..or you'll be filling your HX'er fins with cruddy/gunk filled water

Bob turned me onto to using water a couple/few years ago.
I first thought he was just an ig'nernt ole foo...but damn if doesn't do the trick LIKE!

..L.T.A.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Caduceus said:
I live in WA, where is the closest place to have a blower rebuilt and cost (how long will it take) or is there any leads on a refurbished one? looking for a 45.
Would this work?

BLOWER LOBE-TYPE
1 ROOTS ROTARY LOBE BLOWER MODEL 412JV RCS WISP AIR

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Brent, The places to get blowers rebuilt in Seattle are: Beckwith and Kuffel = Sutorbuilt. Northwest Industrial Repair = Tuthill. Rebuilds will cost between $800 and $1,600 depending on the blower and the problem, and it usually takes a week or two.

Most of the time they get stuck, but they also go bad. Sometimes it's a fluke of casting and/or metal fatigue, but if the operator pays no attention to the noise of lobes hitting the housing (caused by worn or stripped gears) eventually the blower will lock up. Gears and lobes can break. If there is significant housing wear from lobe contact the blower becomes an anchor.

PS: Tap that piece of wood. A big slam can split the lobe.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
The Great Oz said:

Now you tell me!! hey Marty, blow me I've seen Jimmy naked

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Bob turned me onto to using water a couple/few years ago.
I first thought he was just an ig'nernt ole foo...but damn if doesn't do the trick LIKE!
Don't let one lucky suggestion fool you Larry! eat yor heart out Werner

Ok Bawb does know his chit! eat shit!

Name
I'm Rick James
The Great Oz said:
Brent, The places to get blowers rebuilt in Seattle are: Beckwith and Kuffel = Sutorbuilt. Northwest Industrial Repair = Tuthill. Rebuilds will cost between $800 and $1,600 depending on the blower and the problem, and it usually takes a week or two.

Most of the time they get stuck, but they also go bad. Sometimes it's a fluke of casting and/or metal fatigue, but if the operator pays no attention to the noise of lobes hitting the housing (caused by worn or stripped gears) eventually the blower will lock up. Gears and lobes can break. If there is significant housing wear from lobe contact the blower becomes an anchor.

Thanks Brian.. I just dropped it off at Jon Don north while I am getting my new vans fuel tap. If they cant unseize it then I will look into a rebuild. It came out of a machine that has never been mounted in anything.. so it is lightly used. But with it sitting for many years who knows whats going on with it.

Thanks for the input though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom