Sunday Calls

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
We do, only because we understand peoples schedules are limited....and it surprises them when and if we answer, or get back to them in the a quick fashion.

Helps us to keep the schedule full.

People who do not take Sunday calls I totally understand.

We are ok yet with taking the calls though.

Reactions: SamIam

hogjowl

Idiot™
My office phone is forwarded to my cell phone on weekends and after hours. The only time I don't answer it is when I am sleeping and in church. I don't work on Sundays, but will take calls.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
The only time I don't answer it is when I am sleeping and in church.
I was just OCD enough that I did the same right up till I sold the business.

Looking at it today I am torn. I almost think personally answering on way off business hours can startle people who just want to leave a message while "getting the carpets cleaned" is on their mind. They can seem almost surprised when a real person answers and it could smack of being you "desperate".

So now I might record a professional message with the option to "Press #1 if you have an emergency for immediate, personal assistance, press #2 to leave a message to be returned at 8:00 AM the next business day or when you specify or email us at..."

Steve

PS Today I would also look closely at offering "online booking" and mentioning that option in the phone message. Many people now don't want to talk to anyone.

Last edited:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
To say "cell phones have changed everything" is an understatement.

The ability to take a call easily without be stuck at a desk or having the call create an intrusion on the rest of the family can make taking such a call at times when you usually might not (like a Sunday) an easier decision than it had been in the past.

However, if you are married or living with a long time partner, you might want to be sure that individual is on board with you taking such calls all days and at all hours. Unless they are strongly integrated into the business, such calls may cause resentment and result in stresses in your relationship.

Steve's suggestion regarding on line booking is one everyone should seriously consider.

Bjorn

I'm no snob I will work sundays and holidays I will charge a little more for it no one seems to have a problem

I take week days off why do I want to go skiing or golfing or what ever on a weekend or holiday when everyone else is not working.

Like this morning I am just leaving for the golf course bye bye

Mikey P

Administrator
It so rare to get a call on Sunday that I just let them go to Full Circle. Within a minute I'll get an email with the recorded message attached.

I'l listen to it at some point and 9 times out of ten the call will be returned on Monday AM.

It's usually a college kid looking for a rush job.

We hardly even get calls on Saturday for that matter.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We get very few commercial jobs that want Sunday's, most want Friday night or Saturday.

We did one WDR yesterday and two last Sunday but most of the time people won't call to have you out unless its really bad. They call Monday AM.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
yes, unless i'm out with friends or family.

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
i do most of the time
couple of months ago i answered the phone at a nhra race on a sat afternoon
turned out to be a 7700 strip and wax job so ya never know

Reactions: Art Kelley

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Never!
Maybe 1x every other month a commercial job will schedule a sunday.

With football starting you can forget about it...

steve_64

i dont work a 40 hour week most of the time, it would wipe me out. ill work sundays, its the best time for some stores and factories. ive suprised a few people looking to leave a message on sundays but i try and let it go to voice mail now.

Ron K

I've found that Sunday afternoon call backs are great for people you just can't get during the week.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I took off to Mammoth ca on Friday stayed Saturday came home Sunday. I booked 20 calls all weekend filled my week up sunday I had 4 to 5 call booked those too.

People call if you don't answer they call the next on the list. Unless of course they're repeats they will leave a message and wait!

udanusev.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: Art Kelley

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I neither work or answer the phone on the weekend. Family time.
Ain't trading it for the mighty $, as long as we're not hungry.

If it is an emergency help that they need (on the phone) I'll call back. Otherwise its Monday.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikey P

SamIam

Name
sam miller
You better hope not. Can you say bonus and get a Starbucks on me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Ain't trading it for the mighty $, as long as we're not hungry.
We're always hungry. :redface:

We had 4-guys work a commercial air duct job Saturday. It was an all day sucker plus, a 10 hour job. :eekk:
Oh well they are off Monday, for a paid holiday. :winky:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
It is very different if you have multiple vans and employees Richard. You have to take care of your employees and provide for them as well as for your family. Makes total sense. It is also different if one is trying to expand their business or not.

I am doing none of the above. Mostly trying to survive the grind.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
We're always hungry. :redface:

We had 4-guys work a commercial air duct job Saturday. It was an all day sucker plus, a 10 hour job. :eekk:
Oh well they are off Monday, for a paid holiday. :winky:

Yeah me too but not for a $120 job on a Sunday.
$1k? now we're talking.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You have to take care of your employees and provide for them as well as for your family. Makes total sense.
They hate working OT but they sure love payday. Yes it does help them and their family come pay day. In fact last week I had 6-guys that doubled their pay and two that tripled it.

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
Holidays like Labor Day, etc. we are open. We book up like mad on those days since people finally have a day off during the week and its not like celebrating Christmas. Although, this year I think we are going to require a higher minimum per job for a week before Holiday's. Definitely answer on Sunday, since these are usually calls from our google listing. If we don't answer, they will move onto the next one on the google places list. We actually book normal work staring at 8am and last appointment at 5pm, but answer phones from 8am-8pm. People are surprised when you answer at 7:45pm on a Fri/Sat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom