Super Sticky, Nasty, Disgusting Golden Corral Job With Pics

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
First, let me say, I don't do much carpet cleaning. We do mostly WD. We decided to give this Golden Corral a shot because the guy was desperate. This place opened up on the 11th of this month. It had been cleaned twice with a guy with a porty. The guy was desperate...very desperate.

I am amazed at how much work it took to clean this place. About half way through I started wondering how guy can stay up into the morning for what seemed like pennies. I must really suck at carpet cleaning...it took me and my wife almost 5 hours to get the stupid thing clean. If it got that nasty in 2 weeks I am wondering how I will be able to do this place every two weeks and make money.

We pre-vacuumed, hit it with Powermax, scrubbed with a shampoo brush and a 175. Hit it with Powermax again and then started sucking. We had to bring the 175 back a few times to cut through grease. Am I just slow or something?

One thing I noticed - we tried a red pad on the 175 just to see what it would do and the results were nothing compared to the brush. I always wondered how a pad could help scrub carpet. The brush did so much more to cut the grease out.

I will try to post pics from my iPhone in a sec.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Re: Super Sticky, Nasty, Disgusting Golden Corral Job With P

... if you do pads on grease.. you need to be looking at a green pad. Reds typically don't cut it for grease... but a good shampoo brush works quite well as you found out.

Also what were you rinsing with.. and what kind of heat. These two factors can make a pretty big difference.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge

I've never cleaned a GC, but have ate there a few times. Of course I noticed how sloppy people are, spilling food and drink from the buffet to their table. What a mess, and it goes on all day long. I probably wouldn't clean the local GC for less than $400 each cleaning. Lots of tables to move and a big restuarant at that.

I only do 3 resturants, and only because they are friends. I use Grease Eraser, hot, hot water with Procyon as an extraction solution. It's usually one or two good slow strokes and a dry pass, or I will get out the RX20 and grind it out.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member

I run a #4 little giant heater. Lots of heat. It was turned all the way up. Same LG that the C-4 runs.

Name
Lee Stockwell

I've spent my time doing them, my sons do them now.

The right prespray/emulsifier combination and HOT HOT water is the key.

Chances are you are dealing with a buildup that won't be typical of an ongoing 2wk cycle if you are really getting it clean.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member

grease.jpg

Jeremy N

Supportive Member

Lee Stockwell said:
I've spent my time doing them, my sons do them now.

The right prespray/emulsifier combination and HOT HOT water is the key.

Chances are you are dealing with a buildup that won't be typical of an ongoing 2wk cycle if you are really getting it clean.

That's what I was thinking but this place has only been open for 2 weeks. Wouldn't that be an indicator of what I will be seeing every 2 weeks?

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge

Wow....that might be a walkaway unless they offer a decent payout. That'a a freakin' mess for only two weeks. You sure they aren't damp mopping the carpet everyday and leaving a residue. I know of resturant owners that have their employees damp mop the carpet thinking that it will help!

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug

ahhh yes heat...good friend of resty cleaning...

how hard did you mix the powermax to??

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug

rwcarpet said:
Wow....that might be a walkaway unless they offer a decent payout. That'a a freakin' mess for only two weeks. You sure they aren't damp mopping the carpet everyday and leaving a residue. I know of resturant owners that have their employees damp mop the carpet thinking that it will help!

WTF :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy

Looks good... That place is HAMMERED for 2 weeks old!

Name
Lee Stockwell

Easy does it on running the rotary scrubber over modules like this. Looks like a raggedy installation already...you may be blamed in a few months. Watch the edges and corners.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member

I guarantee there is heat going on here folks.

Question: how long after you prespray can you wait before you you wand? I presprayed about 1/3 of the job, scrubbed, hit it again with some juice and then wanded. Since it took my a while with the last few phases of this I noticed the 175 was harder to move. The carpet was already gumming up after 45 minutes or so. We went back and squirted it again to loosen'er up before when wanded in some areas.

We mixed up 2 full cups of powermax in the HF with hot. hot water. I don't have a metering thingy in the HF. So, the mixture is strong.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member

I was going to post pad with some encap but when I finished wanding I was like, screw it, I'm outta here.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member

Any suggestions? Can I make money in this place? They are asking me to clean very regularly. There was 15,000 people in this place the first day. The traffic may die down over time.

The nastiest places were near the kitchen exit/entry. At night they are hosing it down and the water is coming onto the carpet.

I don't know if I want to work this hard.

Our agreement was not really set in stone. I told him the carpet was trashed so I would have to experiment. I mentioned $400ish every 2 weeks but we would see if I could get it clean first and go from there. They seemed OK with the price but they asked me if I could do it weekly.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney

well I'd say you have the heat covered... You actuelly might cut some time by working sections instead of attempting to prespray large areas. It also could be that you are battling build up of chem residue from the porty hacker.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L

I would find out if the kitchen help do flood the carpet and then approach the manager and educate them to not to do it.

There are times when it doesn't pay to be the hero.

Find other easier accounts to maintain.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member

Luckily I am dealing with the owner of the store. He seems open/willing to hear suggestions.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis

Wow, I clean alot of restaurants and this looks like one of my China places and they clean every 4 months.
This must be the new Pagoda layout because I have not seen this new carpet style yet. The newest I have cleaned is a breeze to clean. One thing for sure they did not have 15k customers in a day that would be $120K. They "may" have had that many in a week if it was a new store, I have heard of new GC's doing 150k a week for the first 6 weeks or so.
I used powermax a few times (wouldn't even finish the bucket) and I switched back to Grease Eraser. It out performed PM hands down for this type of cleaning.

As some suggested here, you may see if the kitchen is flooding their grease from the kitchen to the carpet (I experienced this in one store) told the manager that I didn't do emergency water extraction for the same price! Also, as Lee suggested I would be careful about using a pad with this carpet I think the soft brush might do ok but the carpet has to be wet when scrubbing it. If you clean every 2 weeks you should absolutely not have to scrub with using high heat and good dwell time. We usually just spray one section at a time.

When I first started it would take us about 5-5.5 hrs to do a Big Box but we got that down to around 4-4.5 hrs. The ones I do now take about 3.25-3. hrs. You will get faster as the team knows what each other takes care of. I to have elected to do smaller restaurants, we did one last night and the manager was in a "big" hurry. From pull up to pull away 1hr 10 minutes for $258 (and the results were great!). I'll do every restaurant in my area for that $ result.

I stand corrected on my comment on Powermax above, it was Redline that I used as a test one time. It was not intended for commercial restaurant use which I later discovered.

Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Lyman

John olsen has got me on this stuff,steam way grease subtractor. I added a cup and half to my 7 qt hydro force with redline and wow. This stuff does cut grease. Plus I had my butler maxxed out at 250 with 18 flow flush.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

cleaned twice with a porty, you were the third cleaning and open for two weeks :shock: ??

wonder what the porty dude used for soap??

donno how many square ft you cleaned in 5 hours , but efficient "team" work is critical to make any money on low profit margin jobs typical with restaurant work.

The way you set up the job (how tables/chairs are moved and replaced ) is where the lion's share of time is lost or gained

work area "sections" two at a time.
example; move things over in one area to clear a section for cleaning , clean that section while the wingman clears another area section and pre-sprays.
when done cleaning the cleared area you started, move to the other cleared and pre-sprayed area .

While you;re cleaning that area section , the wingman replaces and blocks/tabs tables in their correct position on the cleaned area section.
The tables that are left to be moved to clear the area , get turned over and stacked on the blocked/tabbed tables .
Now it's pre-sprayed and ready for you when you're done

wingman moves, blocks/tabs , clears and pre-sprays the next area section

Things can be modified to suit the layout of the joint .
But the idea is to choreograph the job to keep the wand moving

It can be the difference of taking 4 hours to clean 2000sf or getting it done in 2 to 2.5 hours

BTW, if booth tables aren't connected to wall, turn 'em over and set on the booth seat rather than pulling them out (which only adds more clutter to work areas)

..L.T.A.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey

Billy Lewis does alot of these he may chime in..

I have the TCS chief with the #3 LG.. So not as much power as yourself.........

I never hardly have to prescrub restaurants.....................

After a few times that you do it.. It will be a piece of cake. You are having troubloe because the previous cleaner probably left residue and made the carpet worse........

This is what I use with great success............ You may have to prescrub the next time you do it........ But if your doing it every 2 weeks that should be the last time you have to prescrub

I use Magic wands grease eater all by itself sometimes. But in your case I would boost it with their TrashedII High PH.. Call DEE DEE and she will hook you up..

Alot of people use what they like so there will be different responses on here.. Make sure you are doing your dry strokes as well. IT makes a difference..

Now............. Sometimes I use dry slurry as a rinse................. >But my 2 favorite rinses for restaurants are........... LAst step... And The Judson 02 rinse. Of course they are not detergents........ but it gets all of the residue out and the carpet does not re-soil as fast as it would with a detergent..

Like I said.................. Billy lewis is a master at Golden corrals................. This should be easy steady money every 2 weeks. I promise.

Make sure they have a good quality vacuum with a beater bar on it. If not buy them one and clean it out for them every month and it will make your job so much easier

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey

Oh and dont prespray to far ahead!!!!!! I hate it when the ps dries!!!

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo

joeynbgky said:
Oh and dont prespray to far ahead!!!!!! I hate it when the ps dries!!!

+1

The grease comes up SOOO much easier when still wet. Put it down hot enough, strong enough, and heavy enough, and five minutes is all you need.

I'm impressed if that is only Powermax.

Name
Lee Stockwell

If you suspect a presprayed area is getting too dry you can "wet it out" with a quick overspray with your wand.

Jump on the WEEKLY service, especially it THEY suggested it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom