Sure it's mundane, but I need to know..

Mikey P

Administrator
What is your tub and tile caulk of choice?

I tried replacing our standard latex stuff with a flexible grout and it molded up in just a few weeks.
I let the gap dry out for a solid day before replacing and I know I dont have trapped water.

I bought some silicon stuff that says it has a mold fighting additive but figure I'd ask this brain trust before I waste my time again.

Hopefully Connor chimes in.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
mikey,

to make a long story short. get silicone that glass installers use for around window sills. it doesnt mold. and is harder than hell to wear out or rub off. my father works at a local glass shop and he and i had this discussion. and that is what i was told to do. the stuff from wally world and home depot is junk. expect to pay 10 or more a tube for the good stuff.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
100% silcone
or
Polyseal latex caulk
The other major brand caulk (DAP, I think) should be fine too.
As long as it's the one for kitchen and bath.
they advertise on the tube as having Mircoban additive

if you're getting mold, it's cause the tub isn't level and water runs to the edge and lays there.
not much you can do about that without MAJOR work.

after the new caulk is dried and cured, Just wipe the water off the edge after showers and that should help

..L.T.A.

TimP

If you want colored caulk Maipei makes a sanded and unsanded caulk with "bio block" we've had it in our shower and it hasn't grown mold where the caulk is.

Silicone works too. Like stated above make sure it's the good stuff the glass people use....ours doesn't have any mold on the silicone either.

G

What Gomez said is true.

Clean the area with denatured alcohol and be sure that it is dry with no trapped water in the seams. You can blow the water out with compressed air.

The best way to clean up your caulk lines is to lightly mist the caulk lines with denatured alcohol and smooth the caulk with a gloved finger.

GE silicone II from home depot works the best.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I do alot of Caulking in the shower and tub. I find the mess cleans up better and I can adjust the water temp if I get to hot or to cold. I't works better with a partner, but alone is good because, hey, who knows me better than me?
Did I spell Caulking right?

Gary T

Laticrete Latasil. Period. All sanded caulk will mold, dry and crack. Latex, acrylic, and siliconized latex will crack and mold/ mildew.

The first shower I did, a little over 20 years ago, still has original grout and caulk. I used Latasil.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
the stuff i'm taslking about is made by somanca. it is silicon, and not latex. tubs have a lip anways just need enough to seal it up, and not a excessive build along the edge. which the water may lay on or get caught up on. smooth is out with your finger to make it smooth the the wall and the edge of your tub.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I always use acrylic latex caulks because they are more mildew resistant, and seem to flow and bond better.......

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
oh yea, after you shower and wipe off the standing water at edge/corners,
leave the bth rm vent fan running for 15 to 20 minutes after

..L.T.A.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom