Surround yourself with excellence

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
What's your talent? Is it cleaning? Leading? Ideas? People Person? What is it?

The worst part about owning a company are the worst parts about owning a company.

I hate doing taxes...so I have an awesome CPA

The work becomes too much so I try to find the best Technicians to help.

Phones can be a show stopper (and for good reason) so it's important to have have someone on them.

Scheduling is something the mind can't handle at a certain point...that's why we have software.

I like sales and marketing...so I hit it hard. I also like computer work...but I'm not as good at that.

The key is to find what you like doing most AND where you are most productive...the happy medium can be hard to find...but it's almost always there.

I guess what I'm getting at is the most important part of business is finding your strong points and surrounding your self with people who's strong points fit the categories needed.

You can stay a 1 man show...but for how long? Does your family depend on you? Money lasts forever if you have it...health is only temporary. Cherish it.

The hardest part about taking the next step is lifting your leg. Once you start to take the first step...everything just falls into place.

Yes you need a good plan...but don't plan your life away without getting the plan going.

The biggest failures are the ones who wait until they're ready to take that next step.

You'll never be "Ready"....and you'll never be more "Ready" than you are now.

If you want to step up to the next level of business....your first step is other people.

Good luck.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Brian R said:
The key is to find what you like doing most AND where you are most productive...the happy medium can be hard to find...but it's almost always there... If you want to step up to the next level of business....your first step is other people.
Some good reminders, Brian. Ya see? Now that you aren't mucking about with that moderator title you have more time for posting!

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS I would only temper the above remarks by saying that for many of us (me included) there is an inherent tension between what "we like doing" and "where we are most productive". Your job is to define "What is my highest and best use"? (It may not be what you "like doing"!)

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Steve Toburen said:
http://www.SFS.JonDon.com[/url]

PS I would only temper the above remarks by saying that for many of us (me included) there is an inherent tension between what "we like doing" and "where we are most productive". Your job is to define "What is my highest and best use"? (It may not be what you "like doing"!)[/quote:1qauoqk1]

I get that Steve, but if I don't like doing something...even if I'm good at it.....I probably won't be doing it too long and I probably won't have too great of an attitude about it.

It's all about that whole "do what you love" thing.

But I get what you are saying.
I've been cleaning some carpets lately because I really enjoy it and certain aspects of it.
But if that's all I did...or did it full time...I believe it would hurt my company.

Some decisions can be made by the guy cleaning (IE: owner) as long as he has the right people carrying those decisions out.

What I mean is, if the owner feels he needs to be in the field....he should have the right person taking care of the business part of it all....even if it's his/her spouse etc.

I think one thing we can agree on is the reason we are "owners" is because we don't like taking orders from others. SO that means we need to be the ones giving the orders and that really can come from anywhere.

Where we fall short is our people picking abilities...or lack of picking all together.

One thing we NEED to do ...that we may not "like" to do ....is make those people picking predicaments a pronounced part of our prosperous pacification.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Brian R said:
I get that Steve, but if I don't like doing something...even if I'm good at it.....I probably won't be doing it too long and I probably won't have too great of an attitude about it.

It's all about that whole "do what you love" thing.

What I mean is, if the owner feels he needs to be in the field....he should have the right person taking care of the business part of it all....even if it's his/her spouse etc.
I agree. I think there is always a tension between our "comfort zone" and our dreams.

Steve Toburen
http://www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS Brian, you really ought to check out the ongoing drama of Meg's Story. Meg Burdick is a scary smart SFS member who attended Strategies several years ago. Her husband John really, really LOVES being on the truck. But he also recognizes he isn't getting any younger. sound familiar? Anyway, Meg has been sending in regular dispatches on their growth and how she and John are dealing with the issues your describe above. It makes for some compelling "soap opera" reading:

http://sfs.jondon.com/8767/reviews/succ ... megs-story

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
and of course I disagree. I think surrounding myself with smarter people is a good thing but we all hold different talents and they are not always what I enjoy. I love sex but no one is paying me for it(even though I am awesome).

If I didn't do the boring, paint drying watching sort of things in my business I would find it hard to find someone else to do it as well as I do, I want it done right and I want it done. I do want to control some of the crappy things that come with owning a compnay because it is needed. It sounds ridiculous but my wifes job is very stressful and I wish she would just come work for me because she would be 100% invested in the results.

I have an awesome CPA but I have to challenge him otherwise he has a lower just process the info, that is how life works. I would rather hire a babysitter and work longer to make sure I am not reliant on other people and I can do the proper testing rather than just trusting they are doing it right

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Bruce Humphrey said:
[quote="Brian R":2ntfcdyi]Surround yourself with excellence
I'm with my self everyday

:shock:

wait ,is that what you're talking about?[/quote:2ntfcdyi]

I come here everyday

:shock:

wait, is that what you're talking about?

Jack :p

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I love sex but no one is paying me for it(even though I am awesome).
sheen.jpg

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Bundy said:
and of course I disagree. I think surrounding myself with smarter people is a good thing but we all hold different talents and they are not always what I enjoy. I love sex but no one is paying me for it(even though I am awesome).

If I didn't do the boring, paint drying watching sort of things in my business I would find it hard to find someone else to do it as well as I do, I want it done right and I want it done. I do want to control some of the crappy things that come with owning a compnay because it is needed. It sounds ridiculous but my wifes job is very stressful and I wish she would just come work for me because she would be 100% invested in the results.

I have an awesome CPA but I have to challenge him otherwise he has a lower just process the info, that is how life works. I would rather hire a babysitter and work longer to make sure I am not reliant on other people and I can do the proper testing rather than just trusting they are doing it right

Imagine that.

I think once you realize that there are 4 basic personality traits..you will understand that some people actually like "watching the paint dry" and they are really good at it.

On your last paragraph I think what you are saying is it's ok to pay other people to do certain tasks to free you up to do the more productive ones...I get that...and I've promoted it.

F

FB7777

you know what I'm going to miss most about not attending Mikefest this year?

Hanging downtown... I predict Robison and Crowley are going to get along really well.

Yankum won't show cuz he doens;t have enuff money and can't afford to lose that $109 website special 4 room job

but in actuality, secretly knows that if anyone meets him face to face they will discover 'the rest of the story' behind this internet phoney :shock:

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Pfred is pissed we won't be BFF roomies.

Late night talks.

Jumping on the beds.

Washing each other's backs in the shower.

Pfred can only dream!!

F

FB7777

Dave Yoakum said:
Pfred is pissed we won't be BFF roomies.

Late night talks.

Jumping on the beds.

Washing each other's backs in the shower.

Pfred can only dream!!
thats just disturbing Dave

here's a little rub out material for the shower... you freak
38777_1424741372856_1062399723_31067502_6660299_n.jpg

F

FB7777

yep, that you have a business that grosses around 100K with an old beater electro weiny mount but pretends to be a success on the internet

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
FRed,

I know you heart is broken.

You told me we can have matching loofah bath sponges.

Do you like the soap with the moisturizer?

A few of those little candles all around that you like.

Your BFF forever,
Dave-

F

FB7777

Dave Yoakum said:
FRed,

I know you heart is broken.

You told me we can have matching loofah bath sponges.

Do you like the soap with the moisturizer?

A few of those little candles all around that you like.

Your BFF forever,
Dave-
Hop in Dave, the water is about 90 degrees
39755_1424748973046_1062399723_31067562_6021701_n.jpg

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
who didn't know where fred was going instead. Enjoy Fred

I will be in the slums of Clearwater Fla

I have to say when I was in school I made up a nickname for the never will be's, it was simple. Two fingers in the air like a peace sign and one word "two".
The meaning was simple no matter what they did the best they could ever do in life is number two, in a word loser. I think if Fred was near Yoakum he would let a little smirk and raise those fingers and utter the word "TWWWWOOOO" Just a guess. We turned into phrases, like when they were eating "two your food" or when they were going out they were "twoing around". etc etc

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
See what I mean about surrounding yourself with excellence...it just isn't happing in this thread. :lol:

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
You make a valid point in your last post.

If you truly want excellence in your business I do not a agree with your origiinal post. What I think is if you evaluate your business and you should hire to your weakness, not your enjoyment. The success from lets say my doing VCT and my employee Matt doing the VCT has been enormous. I like doing the VCT jobs because I throw the Ipod on and roll but Matt digs into the corners and moves much quicker and does a far better job now when Matt is out cleaning residential I get several phone calls when he isn't sure on how to handle certain situations. I hired him for his skill at the position. What I did was I put another guy with Matt or he will roll with me sometimes because he is great at set up break down and overall competent plus at cleaning. I like running my business but I also have a pile of kids and need to call people back , do estimates and now meet with different people and Laura keeps me organized.

Overall between these simple changes that had nothing to do with what I like or don't like have helped trememndously. Surrounding yourself with talent is good and if you have no vision(robison does) then hire someone more talented but if you are on Mikeysboard and are running your own company you have already shown you are a leader and that is the key to any success.

Quick sidenote. I took a small company and turned them into a huge multi multi million dollar company and at the point I thought I could not bring the company any further I offered examining hiring a boss of sorts for me. At some point in business someone is going to have a more streamlined vision and I never took my decision like I wasn't good enough I just thought someone who had worked with as many locations would have a better understanding. I think in the next couple years my goal will be to hire a GM to run my business

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom