Swing buffer...handle keeps sliding

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
It seems like maybe the bar is slightly worn and not letting it lock properly. I've thought about scuffing that part up with course sandpaper so maybe it will provide some grip. If I tighten the nut for the handle too much, the eyebolt will bust, it's happened a few times which is why I carry a spare. I guess I can use a vicegrip to lock it in.

This only happens when pulling the handle to transport or change pads.

Albert

RGH269

Name
Bobby Hales
Looks similar to what a Clark I have is. If it is see if you can't find a sleeve to put in to give the lock a little more to "grip" on.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
RGH269 said:
Looks similar to what a Clark I have is. If it is see if you can't find a sleeve to put in to give the lock a little more to "grip" on.

find a piece of thin wall plastic tubing...cut it to size and then cut it vertically....but when you cut it vertically....cut about a 3/16..opening.....relieve the tension on the handle lock..spread the plastic and slide the it between the lock and the bar......the just reset the tension...when you lock it it will pinch the plastic sleeve...and the 3/16 gap will close and lock down.....works every time...it will allow the bar and the lock to slide much smoother when you adjust it...and will last a long long time....

ascrubabove

Jim Martin said:
RGH269 said:

find a piece of thin wall plastic tubing...cut it to size and then cut it vertically....but when you cut it vertically....cut about a 3/16..opening.....relieve the tension on the handle lock..spread the plastic and slide the it between the lock and the bar......the just reset the tension...when you lock it it will pinch the plastic sleeve...and the 3/16 gap will close and lock down.....works every time...it will allow the bar and the lock to slide much smoother when you adjust it...and will last a long long time....

What Jim said, only thing to add is some marine glue on the top and bottom to keep it in place on the locking bracket

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
That sounds like a great idea. As for the thin plastic, first thought was a thin walled pvc pipe but not sure if it will bend enough for the initial fit. Acrylic seems like it would crack if flexed too much. What have you used?.

thanks

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
We used a scrap of stainless steel. Bend it to fit the pipe and cut it so it has a gap when tight to the pipe. Slide it into the lock mechanism and then flare the top and bottom around the lock flange to keep it in place.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Albert Lazo said:
That sounds like a great idea. As for the thin plastic, first thought was a thin walled pvc pipe but not sure if it will bend enough for the initial fit. Acrylic seems like it would crack if flexed too much. What have you used?.

thanks

thin walled PVC will work...as long as it is not been laying out side in the sun and has gotten brittle...............if your handle is 1/2 inch then get 3/4....this will give it the extra size to spread and slip over....the key here is the vertical cut...if it is 1/2 inch..then cut the 3/4 enough vertically that when you slip it over the pipe you can squeeze it under the lock....you will have to relieve all the tension on the lock all the way and then after you get the sleeve in re adjust it........turn the vertical cut towards the back......

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom