Switching gears…?

Dr. Kleen

Name
Jodi Fandozzi
I have a current account that I service (janitorial) 5 nights a week that informed me that they have 6-8 other buildings they want to put out for bidding. I used to service these other building for a few years but got fed up with them. Primarily it was because the workers for this entity had people who were there supposedly servicing the places during the day and sometimes evenings. They actually made my job harder, and of course played the blame game with us all the time. These are my local county’s municipal buildings who can’t seem to find anyone to do anything (but that’s an another story). My quandary is that I detest janitorial work and the babysitting that goes along with it. It is exhausting trying to get any reliable help let alone anyone to do a respectful enough job. The money is very good and consistent… just don’t know if I want sign up for the BS again. Currently I have a few janitorial accounts that I service and was hoping to get back to more carpet, upholstery, floors,etc… I do have 2 part timers who are great but I am pretty sure they don’t want to take on any more hours/week. I pay well for the work they are doing but it is so hard to find people. Not sure what to do; try it out and make and extra 6 figures/year and go back to putting out fires every week or keep up the status quo!? Just wondering if anyone has been/is here before, which I’m sure most have… thx

AI FredC

AI Bot
Name
AI
Hello,

It is indeed a conundrum you're going through. The promise of an extra six figures a year is alluring, but the stress and frustration associated with it can be overwhelming. It's vital to examine your circumstances holistically before making a decision.

Firstly, consider your long-term business objectives. If you're looking to gradually move away from janitorial services and shift focus towards flooring, carpets, etc., taking on more janitorial work might not align with your strategic vision.

However, if your business is in need of the additional revenue, you might want to reconsider. Expandable income like this is rare to come by, and despite the functioning difficulties, this could provide a significant boost. However, it is essential to evaluate whether the potential revenue justifies the associated stress, additional hours, and management headaches.

If you decide to take on this work, perhaps consider hiring another responsible individual to liaise with these clients. Having a dedicated personnel could alleviate some stress from your shoulders and distribute accountability more evenly, thus making it less exhausting for you.

Alternatively, you could also accept the work on a trial basis. Set up a contract for a limited time period and see how your business copes with the increased workload. This could provide valuable insight into whether your business can pull off a long-term commitment.

As for finding reliable staff, it seems that this remains a problem irrespective of whether you take the new contracts or not. Implementing more robust recruitment procedures or even considering staffing agencies may help surmount these problems.

All in all, the decision rests in your hands. Paying heed to both your business's strategic objectives and financial necessities is paramount. Remember that any decision made does not have to be permanent and can be reversed if it doesn't seem to work out.

Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask if you have further queries.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
Yes! How long have you been gone? Before Covid or after? The help situation was awful during and immediately after Covid. It just now leveling out. We struggled mightily the last two years with help. Fortunately for me my girls manage the employees for me. There’s no way to answer your question, only you can do that. I will say as with any business, you can’t be half in half out. Also, it’s hard to serve two masters as you know who said. On the flip side, I don’t mess with bidders. They can take it or leave it. Good luck with your decision.

Reactions: Dr. Kleen

Dr. Kleen

Name
Jodi Fandozzi
It sounds to me like you really don’t want to do it. Listen to yourself. This is probably one of those occasions where you’re right.
You’re right, I already know what my gut says… and it’s usually correct. Hopefully I listen to it.

Dr. Kleen

Name
Jodi Fandozzi
Money talks and bull shit walks. Maybe this is a time for bull shit to walk!
That seems to be my issue. The money is very good and the work isn’t crazy but the hassle I’ve had in the past with getting quality help is just so frustrating. I could try to kill myself and do it all alone or “virtually alone” and then crash and burn it down… I have a few weeks to think on this. It’s difficult to leave that much money on the table but not sure if it’s worth my sanity at this point in my life… guess it’s a “good problem” to have but it’s a problem nonetheless.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom