Tannin Question

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
For the 1st time ever I received a call about where we treated a coffee stain it turned lighter? This is a synthetic carpet, light brown and the client did try something of course as well called (awesome). We used Prochem Tannin according to there directions as usual.
Any ideas guys?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Though most synthetics will not be damaged by reducers (sodium Bisulfite, I assume theirs is also boosted by acid) every once in a while they will. Sometime after a short while it will blend in.

I see all those comments here, about people getting every stain under the sun out, without ever having any problems.

And.... I, oh so wish............they were all true.

Any time a dye stripper (oxidizer or reducer) is being used, there is a chance (slight with synthetics) that a damage will happen. I refuse to be a hero without their permission with an explanation of potential damage, accompanied with the client's signature.

Able 1

Name
Keith
I would try the tannin in another area, it was probably something THEY used on it...

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Im not sure what you are asking. Are you saying there is now color loss or the stain was not removed 100%?

"awesome" is sold at the dollar store and I think it's sodium precarb

I usually skip the tannin acid spotter for coffee
I pretreat coffee stains when I am doing my set up / prep work with 40 Vol
Decaf has added food color so oxidizers might not work in which case I would try a reducer.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Some tannin removers will leave a little white powder residue when they are dry. This may look like the color has lightened. It can be removed with brushing and vacuuming in many cases or at most a thorough rinse.

Reducers can fade color, but usually won't on synthetic fibers unless there is some other issue such as long exposure to sunlight (or other UV source), age of carpet, another chemical they used or rarely a manufacturing issue.

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
Thanks everybody. I will let you know if in fact it is a little residue or color loss.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom