Technician cannot shake hands with women because of religion

Chet

Name
Chet Sadowski
We have a technician that recently learned that his religion doesn't allow him to shake hands (or touch a woman in any way). He has only worked for us for 6 months and I know he only became Muslim several years ago.
We have followed the SFS format for greeting customers for many years. I'm not sure how I should handle this situation?

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
Wow. Did you use the "offer letter/agreement" from SFS that listed his duties and responsibilities as a technician when he joined your company? There may be something in there that covers this. We have our new hires review and sign off on the expectations prior to starting with us.

Guess you may have to figure a work around if he is valuble to you in other ways. If it's a 2 man crew, maybe the other guy can ring the door and do the greeting?

I would consult with a labor lawyer. If you require it as part of the job, but it's a religious belief I don't know if that would fall under discrimination if you ultimately decide to let him go. Bigger and more expensive problems if he sues you for discrimination there than if you can find a work around on this.

Reactions: Askal

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
You need to come back to SFS, Chet. But don't feel bad. Mikey should re-attend too..

We changed the "tech shaking hands with female customer after she extends her hand" procedure years ago due to our abiding "Make it easier to do it right than do it wrong" employee philosophy. It just added unneeded stress to the typical tech's life as in: "Is she going to put out her hand? Yes? No?"

So we changed it to the tech handing all customers their personal business card as they introduce themselves to the client. Works great. HERE is a QuickTIP on the subject.

Steve

PS The "business card instead of a hand shake" trick also makes the customer feel better. After all, what do your techs do all day? Remove pet urine and excrement from customer's carpets! And who wants to touch someone's hand that literally has been...

Reactions: Papa John

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Shaking hands is disgusting because some people don't wash their hands after the bathroom and most people don't wash their hands enough! Tell your guy to do what I do and the ladies will be very pleased.. I tell them, " I'm sorry, my hands are dirty from cleaning your carpet and I haven't washed them yet. And then do the "Muslim handshake" which is to place your right hand over your heart and bow slightly at the head.
During the flu/cold season I try not to shake any hands but the gesture is engrained into our culture.

Last edited:

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
So a lady homeowner extends her hand to shake hands and what does he do?

What an amazing country this is becoming.

I've been using the "new" SFS method for years but haven't taken the class. I give my card and only shake hands if provoked. I'd suggest this to anyone except my competition. To my competition, I'd suggest hiring Muslims who won't shake hands. I'm sure that will work great for...them.

Reactions: Shane Deubell

Chet

Name
Chet Sadowski
Great tips and I think Steve had it figured out long ago. I can't figure out why none of the last employees we sent to strategies ever brought it up?

Thank you everyone for your input.
Chet

We changed the "tech shaking hands with female customer after she extends her hand" procedure years ago due to our abiding "Make it easier to do it right than do it wrong" employee philosophy. It just added unneeded stress to the typical tech's life as in: "Is she going to put out her hand? Yes? No?"
So we changed it to the tech handing all customers their personal business card as they introduce themselves to the client. Works great. HERE is a QuickTIP on the subject.
Steve
PS The "business card instead of a hand shake" trick also makes the customer feel better. After all, what do your techs do all day? Remove pet urine and excrement from customer's carpets! And who wants to touch someone's hand that literally has been...

Reactions: Papa John

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Its not an issue with me, but I really can't remember many women asking for a handshake, ie extending their hand.
The way the world is today, ie people getting farther apart, I shouldn't see it as a big issue. Just nod your head and say Pleasure to meet you.
There were Muslims up here at a school that said they couldn't even be in the presence of a woman, so that would be a "job changer" in this industry

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
I can not recall the last time a woman went to shake my hand. Women here want their space. It's the corvette driving republican with the big gun safe that likes to see if he can break your hand that go for the hand shake here.

Reactions: Art Kelley

Chris A

Name
Chris
I can not recall the last time a woman went to shake my hand. Women here want their space. It's the corvette driving republican with the big gun safe that likes to see if he can break your hand that go for the hand shake here.

They have those in your state?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom