test for heat exchanger

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
is there a simple test to determine if antifreeze is leaking into the HE with out taking it apart?

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Is it a CDS-type system that uses the vehicles engine, or a slide in that has it's own liquid cooled engine?

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Either way, the leakage would likely be in the other direction. With the solution pump running the high pressure solution would flow through the leak into the low pressure engine coolant. One symptom would be the coolant reservoir would fill up and overflow.

When the solution pump was not running the solution plumbing is pretty much a closed system, no place for the coolant to go.

Able 1

Name
Keith
If you are not able to run the unit you can make up a hose and pressure test it with the pressure from a hose(though it's not high pressure).. From the coolant HX'ers I have seen go bad regular hose pressure will be enough to let you know if it's broken..

Here is the one I made up for prochems..
1460337917429.jpg

Cap one side and water hose on the other..

Note:I did a brake job on my car today so I had to put on the rubber gloves for the picture. I don't need Nate picking on my rough dirty hands with no fingernails..:lol:

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
cap off outlet of sol side
and make a plug to inject air into the intake

listen for a leak

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
Sorry for late return-- I've been busy with oil changes and varies other maintenance tasks

No not the vortex- Blueline bluewave-D My Vortex has been very reliable-- I wish I worked in the suburbs so that I could use it more often.

Is it a CDS-type system that uses the vehicles engine, or a slide in that has it's own liquid cooled engine?
Slide- in; liquid-cooled engine- Kabuta

The overflow tank is lower then the Radiator cap and the overflow tank has a tube which hangs to near base of the machine--- I would think this would siphon antifreeze from radiator and overfill tank?

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
The overflow tank is lower then the Radiator cap and the overflow tank has a tube which hangs to near base of the machine--- I would think this would siphon antifreeze from radiator and overfill tank?
It shouldn't. The radiator cap seals the system, won't let any coolant out until the internal pressure gets too high - like 12 psi or more.

If you do have a leak, then the instant you turn on the solution pump the pressure in the radiator would spike and overcome the pressure limit of the cap, filling and overflowing the reservoir.

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
It shouldn't. The radiator cap seals the system...

I don't think its draining the radiator directly-- I think it might be draining the overflow reservoir though..?..

thanks for the info-- based on the symptoms-- Its good to know that the Heat Exchanger is ok.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
The way the reservoir works is:

when the coolant inside the system (engine, radiator, hoses,etc.) Heats up, the pressure rises. When the pressure exceeds the rad cap rating the cap lifts and the excess coolant flows into the reservoir so it isn't lost.

When the coolant cools and contracts, it creates a partial vacuum and sucks the coolant out of the reservoir and back into the system.

If there's a tiny leak somewhere, say a pinhole leak in a rad hose, some of the coolant leaks out instead of going into the reservoir. When the system cools down each time, more and more is needed to replenish what was lost and the reservoir level gradually goes down.

If there is no evidence of a leak anywhere externally then you could have a bad head gasket or cracked head or block allowing the coolant to leak directly into a cylinder. Usually if this is the case that cylinder would be dead and the engine would have a miss.

Look for evidence of seepage around the water pump shaft weep hole, hoses, fittings, radiator, thermostat housing, etc.

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
God! I hope its not a cracked head or gasket-- the motor was changed in 2015!-- but wouldn't the oil be watery if this is the case?
The engine HP is maxed out with running the blower n pump-- so I don't think the machine would work If a cylinder wasn't working.
Maybe I Should replace the radiator cap?

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
It's much more likely to be an external leak I would think. Having the cooling system and cap pressure tested could help find where the leak is.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom