That much needed legendary Owner Op experience...

Mikey P

Administrator
One truck or four, if you are charging top dollar in any area in the country and marketing your company or self as a high end "personal" service provider, there are certain elements you and your techs MUST add to your repertoire.

My guys are struggling a bit with this so I wanted to create my list and hope that you charismatic idiots will add what I miss...

-Dress the part, who are you cleaning for and what do they expect a tradesman to look like? You're a cleaner so wear clean clothes, smell like nothing and don't need a haircut or shave.

-Arrive on time, call ahead and keep great communication throughout the day.

-Your van or truck should be lettered well organized, CLEAN, inside and out.

-The moment of truth at the door.... Shake hands when you feel it's appropriate, with women it's often not. Hope and pray that their dog loves you, if it freaks you better have a witty reason. If other family members are in the adjoining rooms, great them as well, make eye contact and smile. Before addressing the cleaning project bring up something about their home, the neighborhood or neighbors or an obvious passion of theirs. Spend a few minutes on that if they bite.

-When the project tour begins let them lead the walk through and do most of the talking. At some point find out how the items were cleaned last and was there any reason in particular why the last cleaner was not called back. Don't repeat that reason...

-During the cleaning process take mental notes of things you see wrong with anything you either have the ability to or the referrals to fix. Mention either at the time you feel is right, usually when they are writing out the check.

-Take a few opportunities during the job to visit with the home owner again, up date them on the progress/results, make comment on something that you see you have in common or very casually mention one of those items needing attention but leave them hanging, don't go for the sale.

-Whistle while you work. (be happy)

-Never acted rushed or show any negative emotions, no matter how hard your day is.

-Take and make phone calls out by your van if at all possible.

-A mention or two of a family member or pet goes along way towards making you someone welcomed in their home.

-Offer care sheets or blog links to helpful tips to help extend the life of what your working on and in particular that fooken new 400 feet of LVP in the formally carpeted living room. Mention that you are deep cleaning lots of that stuff these days

-
During the payment process let them know that you always have time to take care of their family and friends and would love their recommendation or online review. If the review mention lights up their eyes do everything in your power that doesn't involve begging or bribery to get them to leave it RIGHT THEN AND THERE.

- and remember, your goal is to install a level of trust so that they feel more than comfortable about NOT being home during your next cleaning appointment.

----give me some more....

Last edited:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
One truck or four, if you are charging top dollar in any area in the country and marketing your company or self as a high end "personal" service provider, there are certain elements you and your techs MUST add to your repertoire.

My guys are struggling a bit with this so I wanted to create my list and hope that you charismatic idiots will add what I miss...

-Dress the part, who are you cleaning for and what do they expect a tradesman to look like? You're a cleaner so wear clean clothes, smell like nothing and don't need a haircut or shave.

-Arrive on time, call ahead and keep great communication throughout the day.

-Your van or truck should be lettered well organized, CLEAN, inside and out.

-The moment of truth at the door.... Shake hands when you feel it's appropriate, with women it's often not. Hope and pray that their dog loves you, if it freaks you better have a witty reason. If other family members are in the adjoining rooms, great them as well, make eye contact and smile. Before addressing the cleaning project bring up something about their home, the neighborhood or neighbors or an obvious passion of theirs. Spend a few minutes on that if they bite.

-When the project tour begins let them lead the walk through and do most of the talking. At some point find out how the items were cleaned last and was there any reason in particular why the last cleaner was not called back. Don't repeat that reason...

-During the cleaning process take mental notes of things you see wrong with anything you either have the ability to or the referrals to fix. Mention either at the time you feel is right, usually when they are writing out the check.

-Take a few opportunities during the job to visit with the home owner again, up date them on the progress/results, make comment on something that you see you have in common or very casually mention one of those items needing attention but leave them hanging, don't go for the sale.

-Whistle while you work.

-Never acted rushed or show any negative emotions, no matter how hard your day is.

-Take and make phone calls out by your van if at all possible.

-Offer care sheets or blog links to helpful tips to help extend the life of what your working on and in particular that fooken new 400 feet of LVP in the formally carpeted living room. Mention that you are deep cleaning lots of that stuff these days

-
During the payment process let them know that you always have time to take care of their family and friends and would love their recommendation or online review. If the review mention lights up their eyes do everything in your power that doesn't involve begging or bribery to get them to leave it RIGHT THEN AND THERE.

----give me some more....
Don't whistle.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
efore addressing the cleaning project bring up something about their home

I think slipping in a mention of your spouse/family in that process helps too

Like " my wife and daughter would love that sofa/wall group/Buddha statue/hippy bead incense burner"

since most we deal with are women at home alone while we're there, and you're a stranger in their home, I believe just a short mention like that is a subtle way to help put them at ease

and for gawd's sake, if you're a sweaty yawk in summer, wear a light wt towel around your neck to wipe your face so you're not dripping sweat all over the place

..L.T.A.

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
I cant whistle tunefully

so I deliberately hum if having to make a trip out to the van etc, as I've startled homeowners before who weren't expecting me to reappear

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.

The moment of Truth at the door... Ring the doorbell or knock, then Step back to a minimum of 5-7ft, then let them reach out their hand to shake. Hope and pray their dog loves you. If it freaks you out, it'd better be ready to chew your leg up. If other adult family members are in the house, greet them as well. KIDS...don't acknowledge their presence unless the parents introduce them to you. Make eye contact and smile. Before addressing their home, bring up something about their home, the neighborhood or neighbors or an obvious passion of theirs. Spend a few minutes on that if they bite

And Soft Sell, don't always Upsell. If you feel the service is needed, mention the benefits of how it would extend the life of their carpet if they added protectant or how it would not only look better, but improve their breathing with less dust if that couch got cleaned. Otherwise...if the carpet is ruined, or the couch is brand new...don't be a pushy salesman and try to sell something that isn't needed

Reactions: Mikey P

Mikey P

Administrator
I think slipping in a mention of your spouse/family in that process helps too

Like " my wife and daughter would love that sofa/wall group/Buddha statue/hippy bead incense burner"

since most we deal with are women at home alone while we're there, and you're a stranger in their home, I believe just a short mention like that is a subtle way to help put them at ease

and for gawd's sake, if you're a sweaty yawk in summer, wear a light wt towel around your neck to wipe your face so you're not dripping sweat all over the place

..L.T.A.

Family mention for the win!

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Chris A

Name
Chris
All great points, I would say there's a fine line between sharing and oversharing, I have a guy who struggles a bit with this

Reactions: Mikey P

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Discussions of politics and religion, no matter how reasonable your tech things his position might be have to be off the list. Even the most "moderate" position will be thoroughly offensive to someone at the extreme end of a political issue. There is no safe zone there.

Discussions of other customer's homes, children, pets, etc also must be off the list.

Here's a story:

At times a variety of insects infest homes, including stinkbugs, ladybugs, and earwigs. A technician of a cleaning company happened to mention that the last home he visited was "infested with earwigs" and that he was creeped out that they were "everywhere".

A week later, that customer's home had earwigs. Not because the technician brought them in, but because they were infesting homes all throughout the region.

But guess who had to pay a few hundred dollars to exterminate them in that home?

The cleaning company.

Last edited:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Breaking news!

I just heard this one;

A cleaning company landed a nursing home that due to the layout and security had to be done with a portable.

One of the techs, who (understandably) hates using portables was heard to be saying loudly while he worked:

"This f***ing thing is a piece of sh*t! How anyone can get a carpet clean with this junk is beyond me! The heater isn't hot enough to get anything clean!"

So....the company gets to reclean the carpet with portables once they are "fixed" ....for free.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Discussions of politics and religion, no matter how reasonable your tech things his position might be have to be off the list. Even the most "moderate" position will be thoroughly offensive to someone at the extreme end of a political issue. There is no safe zone there.

Discussions of other customer's homes, children, pets, etc also must be off the list.

Here's a story:

At times a variety of insects infest homes, including stinkbugs, ladybugs, and earwigs. A technician of a cleaning company happened to mention that the last home he visited was "infested with earwigs" and that he was creeped out that they were "everywhere".

A week later, that customer's home had earwigs. Not because the technician brought them in, but because they were infesting homes all throughout the region.

But guess who had to pay a few hundred dollars to exterminate them in that home?

The cleaning company.
Reminds me of a local cleaner who years ago would carry some beetles in a small jar. He would release the beetles and call the lady over and say, "lady you've got carpet beetles". Of course the lady would freak out and the cleaner would offer a solution for a price.

todg

Name
Michael Marcus
Nice recommendations...One recommendation I think should be added is don't overdo the "small talk..." I have gotten burned many times when I talk too much and in turn, they pick up that I am a BS'er...Then call me back to fix ridiculous issues or even demand a refund of sort...No when to shut up! Here's a couple more Alway's SMILE! Don't pull on anyone's driveway without permission!

Name
Jeff T
Speak to them in a calm, assured voice. Look them in the eye when speaking. NEVER bad mouth a prior cleaning company. Always have a list of non related QUALITY service companies that you can refer.
Never assume you can use the clients washroom, unless otherwise offered. (And for gawd sakes, if you have to do a #2, NEVER IN A CLIENTS HOME!!!!!)...

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
I don't ask for reviews...which is probably why I don't have many...but- It starts with the phone call. My wife answers calls into the office and I get calls to my cell...which means they have a business card and were probably referred by someone. I have one now that is going to wait for me to get back from MF to clean their carpet even though it means changing their moving date. They wanted it on the 27th. but I'm in Nashville then. They said they would wait- "told ur worth it."
I talk about what we do...am proud of this group that volunteers at the Ronald McDonald Houses.
People love the CRB. I explain what it does. Sets you apart.
I love dogs. No problem listening to their dog stories.
She noticed the seal a door.
I let them know where to buy safe spotting products and give them the basics of spotting. Begin with distilled water. Sometimes that's all it takes. If not- A few drops of Dawn Dishwashing liquid in a quart sprayer with warm water. Sometime I give them a little of Mark's deodorizer in a spray bottle if they have a reoccurring pet issue.
Doesn't work...call me.
Educate the Customer gently if they are receptive.

pccreview.jpg

Last edited:

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Don't be afraid to let them know what you are doing(to a point). I don't mean - Ms smith I'm going to pre spray now - she don't give a poop about that.

She/he is in the kitchen, stick your head in and let them know... Jennifer I'm heading upstairs to get started. Let them know before you just scurry off to an unsupervised area of their home.

Closets - ask them, I'm going to try and get in the closets as much as I can. Are there any closets you want me to stay out of? She hears closet doors opening and closing in her daughters room she might be thinking whats he doing??? Also, unless in a giant walk in - include the darn closet, your already charging them for the room - do the darn closet.

Also, good to let them know other info in the beginning. Ms smith I'm going to set up the machine now, should take about 25-30 minutes, then we'll make some noise. I've had people wonder what I was doing outside. Idiots, but whatever. They think this shat is easy.

Also, if you see kid shat all over the place, there is nothing wrong(in a polite and respectful way) with asking about them.

Jennifer - how old are your kids? bla and bla... Really? I've got a 6 and 8 yr old at home and it's crazy at my house.

Bam - your done, leave it at that. Most times they will keep blabbing about their kids. If not great - in and out!

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Never make negative comments in the home about anything.
Always assume you are being watched. This includes picking up “Easter eggs” (little things or coins put in odd places to see if you cleaned there). Place them in plain sight on the nearest table or shelf.

Always thank them for the work when you leave and always follow up with a call the next morning.

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
Always assume you are being watched. This includes picking up “Easter eggs” (little things or coins put in odd places to see if you cleaned there). Place them in plain sight on the nearest table or shelf.
years ago used to help my parents do daily clean of a bank, were always find $20 notes in the weirdest places

being young and dumb 1 night I took it and replaced it with $20 in coins.. never happened again

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Don't be afraid to let them know what you are doing(to a point). I don't mean - Ms smith I'm going to pre spray now - she don't give a poop about that.

She/he is in the kitchen, stick your head in and let them know... Jennifer I'm heading upstairs to get started. Let them know before you just scurry off to an unsupervised area of their home.

Closets - ask them, I'm going to try and get in the closets as much as I can. Are there any closets you want me to stay out of? She hears closet doors opening and closing in her daughters room she might be thinking whats he doing??? Also, unless in a giant walk in - include the darn closet, your already charging them for the room - do the darn closet.

Also, good to let them know other info in the beginning. Ms smith I'm going to set up the machine now, should take about 25-30 minutes, then we'll make some noise. I've had people wonder what I was doing outside. Idiots, but whatever. They think this shat is easy.

Also, if you see kid shat all over the place, there is nothing wrong(in a polite and respectful way) with asking about them.

Jennifer - how old are your kids? bla and bla... Really? I've got a 6 and 8 yr old at home and it's crazy at my house.

Bam - your done, leave it at that. Most times they will keep blabbing about their kids. If not great - in and out!

Any embarrassing items that you might
Wanna put away first

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom