The 2 1/2

Name
I'm Rick James
So is the 2 1/2 vac hose still a legit setup.. I fell behind on the topic a long time ago..

Whats the deal with this hose, I have a double port 2 inch waste tank lid. Was going to get the Y adapter and run 2 1/2 to the door, 50 -70ft. Will this increase the flow or am I just wasting my time? I got a couple of link of 2 1/2 hose and looking for the Y adapter if it does help. I run a 45 blower.

Mike Draper

puscifeR said:
So is the 2 1/2 vac hose still a legit setup.. I fell behind on the topic a long time ago..

Whats the deal with this hose, I have a double port 2 inch waste tank lid. Was going to get the Y adapter and run 2 1/2 to the door, 50 -70ft. Will this increase the flow or am I just wasting my time? I got a couple of link of 2 1/2 hose and looking for the Y adapter if it does help. I run a 45 blower.

Are you still running that old 2" crap? :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
to be fair, I also run 2" hose...25' on the end of my 2.5 hose.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
meAt said:
It's a waste of time for 100ft and under .

.L.T.A.

Why???

50' 2.5 (1 section)
50' 2 (1 section)

Doesnt everyone pretty much reel off a 100' anyway???

so why not use it in that case???

Doesnt take up that much more room

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
floorguy said:
meAt said:

.L.T.A.

Why???

Cause it doesn't make a dime's worth a difference .
why monkey with heavier, bulkier, stiffer hose when it's not needed??

Do some same day, same room side by side tests in your own home.
see of you notice any "real" difference in complete dry

..L.T.A.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
i know its so much heavier to un reel it and pull it the 50' to the door...just gawd aweful :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

and the touchy feely thing doesnt work, and i dont have the moisture meter to do it, or i would

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
floorguy said:
and the touchy feely thing doesnt work, and i dont have the moisture meter to do it, or i would

huh????
do you need a moisture meter to know when your carpets are dry at home????

if you want to work harder with the "monkey see monkey do" gang, have at it.

I'd rather work smarter, not harder

..L.T.A.

Mike Draper

meAt said:

.L.T.A.

Meat, just go back to using 1.5 for the first 100' then, because it really makes no difference. :roll:

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Mike Draper said:
meAt said:

.L.T.A.

Meat, just go back to using 1.5 for the first 100' then, because it really makes no difference. :roll:

Draper, if you done the side by side , same room/same day tests in your own home, share the results, Kid
otherwise, you're just another blowhard pounding your chest

..L.T.A.

Mike Draper

havent done it with my new machine. I will when the weather gets more stable. I'll put it on video and use meters to prove the difference does exist. Btw, please share your results of your 1.5' vs. 2.0' one hundred foot run comparison.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Mike Draper said:
havent done it with my new machine. I will when the weather gets more stable.

did you with the old one???

regardless...
looking forward to it
maybe measure the amount of water used and recovered too

of coarse you know to keep the truck and tanks in the same position thru all the water measurements, right???

Btw, please share your results of your 1.5' vs. 2.0' one hundred foot run comparison.

I don't use 1.5 for anything 'cept upl.

if you're trying to equate 1.5 vs 2 to 2 vs 2.5 , it doesn't hold water (no pun intended)

There's something called the "point of diminishing returns".
going from 2 to 2.5 at 100 ft and under is one of 'em

..L.T.A.

Mike Draper

Yep, my neighbor is a math professor. She is working on a few different maths formulas as of a couple days ago. Ill post the results when done.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I am getting better dry times with the blue line and 2.5 hose then what I got with the Vortex and a 4 to the door set up....

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Mike Draper said:
Yep, my neighbor is a math professor. She is working on a few different maths formulas as of a couple days ago. Ill post the results when done.

it's easy to calculate what can be drawn thru an empty hose at a set HG
add the wand, put it on a carpet and start spray'n sucking and the calculations are impossible...cause there are no constant values to work with

but when she has has slide rule out, make sure you let her know the surface area of the tool head inlet.
Cause that's your choke point.
Put it on the carpet, and you've choked it even more

you can make rocket science out of it if it makes you feel better.
But practical real world side by sides will tell you more

..L.T.A.

Mike Draper

Were going to do real world and science. We are even trying to get an 8k thermal imaging camera to video tape with. The thermal imaging will also prove high flow wands put more heat to the fiber.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Mike Draper said:
Were going to do real world and science. We are even trying to get an 8k thermal imaging camera to video tape with. The thermal imaging will also prove high flow wands put more heat to the fiber.

dude, you're lost in space
why an $8K camera when a $5 dollar thermometer will tell you definitively ??
what are you, tEchnO gEEk frEEk??

..L.T.A.

Mike Draper

Because my way will give a definitive answer we can all see in instant, real time, you way is sloppy.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Mike Draper said:
Because my way will give a definitive answer we can all see in instant, real time, you way is sloppy.

oakie doakie, Skippy

maybe get some spAce dIrt from the rOckeT sciEtiSts at CRI too
I hear all that hi-tech chit is just what's needed for PRACTICAL REAL WORLD evaluations :lol:

..L.T.A.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I'm with Meat here.....stop worrying about an hour or so of dry time, if even any difference at all. Get in....get the job done properly......stroke properly and get it dry. The first 2 - 50 footers on my reel are 2". The next 2 are 2.5's. After that, the rest are 2 inchers. So after 200 feet, I just add on the 2 inchers to the front end. It ain't rocket science....you got a choke at the carpet/wand interface, and if you don't have a 2.5 smooth flow inlet on your tank, you gotta run 2-2 inchers into the 2.5 for any difference.

But if you insist on 2.5's.....go for it.

S

sam miller

You can hear the difference on a prochem ti wand with the air movement 2 inch all the way in 100 feet or 2.5 all the way 2nd gear on a 405 its 2 different sounds and it locks down or grabs the carpet more with the 2.5 practically lifts carpet off tackless.

I love the Idea of side by side comparison when you have cleaned 6 days a week for 10 years you can tell what works better and what dosent its not rocket science!

A little wand time. still it come down to why do techs like a 2 jet sbend over a prochem quad wand???

Because its easie! !dork! and lets face it somedays easier is better when your tired.

dday

Meat & Mikey have it right. After all, the customer's primary concern is with clean, isn't it? Yes, they want it dry in a reasonable period of time, and so do I. But clean is the primary concern. If 2.5 meant "cleaner," then there would be a case for it. As it is, the 2.5 is just another ephemeral, vendor-induced "tool du jour" to keep distributors a bit busier and carpet cleaners cash poor.

In the end, a good tech with a good quality portable will be able to get it as clean he would if he instead used a fire-breathing TM. The difference is not going to be in the quality of the clean, but in the quantity of time and possibly the specific chemistry required to achieve the same quality of clean.

The 2.5 seems neither to be a significant saver of time (increased productivity) nor an improved clean. So why work harder, pull heavier hose, and give up more cargo space real estate for the sake of what in the end amounts to an insignificant (to both the tech and the customer) decrease in dry times?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
dday said:
Meat & Mikey have it right. After all, the customer's primary concern is with clean, isn't it? Yes, they want it dry in a reasonable period of time, and so do I. But clean is the primary concern. If 2.5 meant "cleaner," then there would be a case for it. As it is, the 2.5 is just another ephemeral, vendor-induced "tool du jour" to keep distributors a bit busier and carpet cleaners cash poor.

In the end, a good tech with a good quality portable will be able to get it as clean he would if he instead used a fire-breathing TM. The difference is not going to be in the quality of the clean, but in the quantity of time and possibly the specific chemistry required to achieve the same quality of clean.

The 2.5 seems neither to be a significant saver of time (increased productivity) nor an improved clean. So why work harder, pull heavier hose, and give up more cargo space real estate for the sake of what in the end amounts to an insignificant (to both the tech and the customer) decrease in dry times?

dry time is just as important as clean..they walk hand in hand....I have heard more complaints about how long a carpet took to dry then how bad a job someone did cleaning it.......

and yes.......
a good tech with a good quality portable will be able to get it as clean
.......but....the portable will leave the carpet much more wetter then a machine running with a 2.5 set up...
meaning the 2.5 is extracting more and leaving less behind...so is it cleaning better..(?)..don't know....but any good cleaner knows...its not about what you put down...its about what you leave behind....

and if you think you are working harder to use a 2.5 hose then you just don't know how to use it...let it roll off the reel.....with the right hose set up it is very rare one has to man handle it....besides..it is not as heavy as people put it out to be.....

Balance is the key...ignorance will just cause you trouble.........

Reactions: Total_Rookie

Mike Draper

Bunch of pussies. Oh yeah, and the porty argument. Come on, we've all had porties and that's bullshit.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Jim Martin said:
dday said:

dry time is just as important as clean..they walk hand in hand....I have heard more complaints about how long a carpet took to dry then how bad a job someone did cleaning it.......

and yes.......
a good tech with a good quality portable will be able to get it as clean
.......but....the portable will leave the carpet much more wetter then a machine running with a 2.5 set up...
meaning the 2.5 is extracting more and leaving less behind...so is it cleaning better..(?)..don't know....but any good cleaner knows...its not about what you put down...its about what you leave behind....

and if you think you are working harder to use a 2.5 hose then you just don't know how to use it...let it roll off the reel.....with the right hose set up it is very rare one has to man handle it....besides..it is not as heavy as people put it out to be.....

Balance is the key...ignorance will just cause you trouble.........

he hit it on the head.....the more you extract, the cleaner it should be right???

I mean its DIRTY water after all

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I always had issues with getting the 2.5 cool cuffs to fit tight. The vaccum that leaked out canceled any boost form the 2.5. Most of my hose runs ar 100' so I went back to the 2" hose. I need to figure out how to get the cool cuffs to fit right so I can run up to 400' if I need to.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
floorguy said:
he hit it on the head.....the more you extract, the cleaner it should be right???

the point IS...you don't "know" you're extracting more water
cause NONE of you have ever measured .
you're going by "sound and feel"

same with the glides.
I've been telling you guys for years there's not a dimes worth of difference in dry times from slot to hole .
but ya'll parrot the same mantra ...without having a clue :roll:

speaking of portys..
remember the Mikefest porty "shootout" a few years ago?

ya'll were so sure the porty with the most suck would win..well, it didn't..the Recoil won.
but there really wasn't much difference in any of 'em (just like I said)
The knowitall pseudo gUroos with chit to sell were scrambling to make up reasons why

Draper, it has nothing to be with being "pussies" :roll:
It has to do with finding out if what you "think" is, "really" is.
til you do that, you're just another follow the de jour pack wannabe

..L.T.A.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
this is not an exact science..and it never will be....way to many variables involved.....types of carpets...lengths of hose...size of hose....blowers.....set-ups...just to name a few....one thing may work great for one guy and someone comes along and copies it and it may crap out for them....

if what your doing is working for you then keep it up...

but don't be afraid to get out of your comfort zone and see if something different may help you out...

I would of never believed it.....I was anti 2.5 for a long time...ran the Vortex using a 4 to the door set up and was happy as can be.....

I now run the thermal wave off a filter box using 150 feet of 2 inch and the rest to the truck is 2.5 and believe it or not.......my carpets are drier running the thermal wave on medium..then with the 68 blower in the vortex running full out....

the only time I kick the thermal wave up on high is for extra long distance.....other then that .....no need to stress it out....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom