The bare necessities for a rug cleaning "Plant"

Mikey P

Administrator
I have the opportunity to create a rug plant of sorts along with a local clothing dry cleaner in my area.

He has the building with loads of square feet and the client base to market to.
I have some rug skills, equipment and another client base to market to.

Some of you will say a wash pit is a must while others will say you can do fine without one.
I'm of the opinion the extreme soil and urine will need to be addressed with a pit.

At first the bulk of the rugs will be cleaned front and back with my Vortex then hung out to dry.
What do you think of Dusty's easy rack system?

Speaking of Dusty, is his Badger a must for production or do I just spend more time with my Sanitaire?

Let me know what in your opinion is the very least I'll need equipment wise.

In our initial conversation he said he didn't want to clean anything he could afford to replace.
Now I dont know how his pick up drivers are going to be able to tell a 80 year old Persian from a Pottery Barn special. If he does want to stay on the low ends side, which I don't think will be possible, I suppose we'll have to create a wood base of some sorts to tack rugs down on to keep the cheapo cotton bound Olefins (and the occasional wool shirnker) from curling. Any suggestions?

Let er rip.

Bob Foster

I think that Badger package would be a darn good start
rack
badger
grate
op (dusty uses a Clark built Yorkster for finishing some rugs)
uv light
costco shelves
2 dehums
8 snails
2 airpaths
washing machine and dryer
utility sink go
salvage kitchen cabinets

a plywood tack board that you could hoist up against the wall out of the way
make your own pit out of a heavy polly
if you want to do moth treatments get a big old freezer (I wouldn't do moth treatments)
raised work table for fringe work
good lighting
poke some holes in the exterior walls for humidity exchange
water softener
alarm system

How many square feet do you have to work with and how high is the ceiling?

Ernie G

Hey Mikey,
I have less than 900 sq. ft.-we have a badger, a drying rack with an electric wench and a portable pit(we don't pit wash everything). I don't recommend dusting with a vac.- we started that way but the dusters 10 times better. That rack system looks like a great idea, if I was starting up all over again I would consider it- it looks simple, and not to expensive. GET SOME TRAINING!!!!!!!!!!!

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
the rack system @ Connections seemed good for smaller rugs, not sure if it could really gets rugs up high enough for air movers to be put under it

after seeing Hyde's rug plant I would think you could get some good ideas from him

Mikey P

Administrator
ODIN said:
I guess it would be too hard to hire a local welder to put together a rack?

and save tons of cash for shipping?

Wonder if Ike ever got his centrifuge rug drying thing yet?

I'll have him fix my leaky V tank while he is at it.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
NO...i was serious....!
CAN YOU buy workmanship insurance in case you screw up Mrs Phiffs Persian Gabbeh?

Jimbo

Rug Badger is a Must-have

EZ racks would be a good start
A Dri-Eaz air exchanger can be operated more economically than many dehums

Good insurance

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Jimbo...i can buy insurance in case i knock a lamp over and break it...HOWEVER i can't buy insurance in case i screw up mrs Phiffs rug......

rhyde

Name
rhyde
First, The dry cleaner, what’s his angle how does he make money in this partnership? Will you sublease or 50/50 ownership in a new company this gets complicated quick! Or are you inadvertently building a rug cleaning plant in the back of his shop run it until he figures out how it works and kicks your ass out and have it for himself? Will you have 24 Hr access to the property or only during dry cleaner hours ….Do you have control of the work space or will his employees tromp through it?

Equipment, Start with what you have and see where this takes you this doesn’t sound high volume if you extract rugs particularly if you run fans while you extract just like in home some of the stuff will almost be dry when you hang it money is easy to spend don't waste it on a De-humidifier you probably won’t need one. What you really need…. fans, dry rack (like EZ) and storage racks & invoices. What you might need better lighting, Alarm system and other security updates, floor cleaning /coating. A badger is nice to have but not as a small start up you still need a Sanitaire regardless and truth is some things just dust better with a Sanitaire the real answer is both but I’d start with Sanitaire. Sizing floor.... a big waste of money at this point your not soaking rugs or drying with high heat the number of rugs needing sizing will be very,very low.... sub it out for now!

Jimbo

Bobby...you can buy insurance if some hoodlum breaks in and walks off with a truckload of rugs. Jim

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
My guy told me that we couldn't buy"workmanship" insurance.......i'll check it out...thanks!
How did that paper work Ken...?

Mikey P

Administrator
I visited with him for the first time this morning.

What he has is a group of buildings that he will pay to have set up to clean, dry and store.
He already has soft water, an Ozone machine, every possible dry cleaning machine you could think of.
He has no problem spending the money to set this up properly to start off.

A Badger and grid (anyone know if this is the same grid they used to "sweep" base ball fields with?) either a home built rack or buy a EZ, build a wash pit, create drainage, buy or build a storage rack, provide pick up and deliver and a invoicing, tagging system.

All I need to do is show up, inspect and possibly reject any rugs(which would be taken over to the Talisman) and clean away.

Yes I could be easily replaced some where down the line, sure.

As I see it now it's a great opportunity for both of us. He is new to the cleaning business (bought this 100 year old company 2 years ago) and has no knowledge of rugs to speak of. I also bring to the table, my client base that will not only clean rugs there but laundry and drapes as well.

We will both farm each others base for sure.

I plan on using my Steamway to clean the rugs. Which is great because it gets the ugly ass truck off my property and it has a real chemical metering system. Not to mention "we" may need the truck to pick up biggens that won't fit in his cargo vans.

With him paying for everything but my equipment, fuel and chems I can't think a of a reason to not give it a chance.

Walt

Mikey P said:
With him paying for everything but my equipment, fuel and chems I can't think a of a reason to not give it a chance.

Perhaps you need to think a little more on it. Find out about this guy. What kind of people does he hang out with? Is he greedy? Does he have long term friendships or the type who has a new best friend ever couple of months? Past business dealings? Look for some red flags. Just because he "seems" like a great guy, doesn't mean that he isn't going to stick it to you.

Write a good contract - even nice people need to "reminded" of what they agreed to. It can end an argument very quickly that otherwise might ruin a relationship.

Rex Tyus

Mikey P said:
I visited with him for the first time this morning.

What he has is a group of buildings that he will pay to have set up to clean, dry and store.
He already has soft water, an Ozone machine, every possible dry cleaning machine you could think of.
He has no problem spending the money to set this up properly to start off.

A Badger and grid (anyone know if this is the same grid they used to "sweep" base ball fields with?) either a home built rack or buy a EZ, build a wash pit, create drainage, buy or build a storage rack, provide pick up and deliver and a invoicing, tagging system.

All I need to do is show up, inspect and possibly reject any rugs(which would be taken over to the Talisman) and clean away.

Yes I could be easily replaced some where down the line, sure.

As I see it now it's a great opportunity for both of us. He is new to the cleaning business (bought this 100 year old company 2 years ago) and has no knowledge of rugs to speak of. I also bring to the table, my client base that will not only clean rugs there but laundry and drapes as well.

We will both farm each others base for sure.

I plan on using my Steamway to clean the rugs. Which is great because it gets the ugly ass truck off my property and it has a real chemical metering system. Not to mention "we" may need the truck to pick up biggens that won't fit in his cargo vans.

I completely agree. I would get a non compete clause however just incase he has visions of getting a Vortex in a couple of years. It could serve to reassure him you will not be doing laundry any time soon as well. Before anyone post how non compete are worthless. I would remind them first of all it varies state to state. Second this would not be the same as hiring an employee.

Name
BradFenstermaker
I would also be concerned a bored employee on a slow day tries to clean a rug with something left around.

Is it going to be a diff building as the clothing area?

Able 1

Name
Keith
Sounds like a sweet deal.. I would never show or tell him your process in detail though, chems ect.. The less he knows the better!

Mikey P

Administrator
Keep in mind I will start offering dry cleaning of drapes, quilts and the like.

I would also give him a small cut on any on location work he drums up.

How often do you roll up a rug and find a clean outline on the carpet or tile underneath?

rhyde

Name
rhyde
I can easily see the potential ..expand your service & he expands his and both of you swap client lists expand customer base it sure beats paying rent it sounds good …perhaps too good.

I’ve seen this happen before my spidey sense is going off now as it did the last time I saw this there was a small local company called Carpet Craftsmen (a carpet repair and fab company) they merged into a company called Danner Rug and got so screwed so many ways basically chewed up and spit out the back the guy that owned carpet craftsman lost everything down to their carpet knifes, knee kickers & client list. The goal of the other guy was to gain his knowledge and clients which is exactly what happened.

The real test is a lawyer and contracts you are going to a layer to do a contract..right? Surly he’s talked about that ..You know to keep things fair, equal, even, legit, and respectable. If he wants to play fast and loose without one he’s going to screw you or he’s a shitty business man.

Bob Foster

Due diligence is expected and respected between good business people. Walt's and Randy's ideas make total sense.

Rex Tyus

Maybe I misunderstood what Mikey posted. He really doesn't have anything "at risk" from the information I read. Due diligence is great but damn. The other guy is the one with the out of pocket and probably the larger customer list since it is a 100 year old business of the type people that spend money on dry cleaning. But them again I am just an ignorant redneck that lives in an area that still settles disputes of honor a little different. SO not even the same thing as two rug companies merging.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Whether the guy will fire you once he figures out what you're doing wasn't your question, but since you're asking how to set up a minimal shop to go into rug cleaning in a hurry I'd guess once he knows everything you do you still won't have lost much. No risk indeed. :twisted:

Bare necessities?
Garden hose, detergent, wooden or metal squeegee-like scraper, tennis raquet, good weather. You can do great quality cleaning with no more equipment than this, plus a little knowledge.

Anything other equipment will be to save you time and effort. Unless you're sure you'll be buried in rugs don't buy too much stuff to start out with. Look toward business growth forcing you to buy more time-savers.

I'd suggest spending some time on theRug Hub's "building a mini-plant" page to get some ideas.

Once you have an good feel for your short-term and three-year expected volume, and a floorplan of the shop area, and how deep your investor's pockets, I'd be happy to make specific recommendations.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom