The cube van is now 100% propane

Bob Foster

I mean everything is on propane the truck engine (351 Windsor), Judson TNT (18 hp Briggs) and the heater (Little Giant #4).

I haven't used it on a job yet. I will let everyone know how it goes and maybe post some pictures.

G

Well Bob,I sure hope you are getting it cheaper than here.3.80 a gal.

Bob Foster

Right now our gas price in American dollars is $2.79 and propane is $2.10. However currently the propane price is abnormally high compared to gas. It's would normally be about $1.90.

Even at the current propane price it still translates into considerable savings and its better for the engine and the environment.

Ron's Werner's CanAM is basically the same thing except it has a factory propane 26 hp Kohler engine.

Name
I'm Rick James
$3.30 a gallon here. I hate my propane heater but I love the heat. I am just afraid of coming out of a customers house to see my van on fire. I havent had any problems, but I just trip myself out with it. :(

Bob Foster

When I first stated using the Little Giant I was a bit paranoid but I'm over that. I just hope that I will get over again now that the TNT is newly converted. Lets just say the first job I do I'm not going to park too close to the job I'm working on.

Name
Bill Soukoreff
Bob Foster said:
When I first stated using the Little Giant I was a bit paranoid but I'm over that. I just hope that I will get over again now that the TNT is newly converted. Lets just say the first job I do I'm not going to park too close to the job I'm working on.

Nice job Bob. You will never see your oil get dirty now as regular changes.

Bob, has Ron had any problems starting the Can-Am in coldish weather?

I have a VW air-cooled that ran on Propane in South America. Great until near colder weather. If it it did not start on the first 2 tries, then the lines would freeze up and no go!

The propane conversions there (Paraguay) were pretty rough, maybe that was why.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Bill Soukoreff said:
Bob, has Ron had any problems starting the Can-Am in coldish weather?

Nope, takes a few cranks to get the propane to the engine, but she's started every time.
No problems with the 4HT either. I have no concern at all about explosions. LIght the pilot light, crank it on, turn it off when the jobs done. Don't know what everyone is so afraid about. Made me a little concerned until I'd used it a few times. Biggest challenge is getting a lighter that will work so I can light the pilot.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Far more carpet cleaning van fires are caused by gasoline that by propane.

Bill Bane quote of the day

Bob Foster

Yes the engine will take it. The Kohler is factory approved and supplied by them for propane. The Briggs 18 HP has been used for many years on propane. According to Les the old ICs couldn't take the propane but the 18HP Vanguards are no problem. There are 10s of thousands of propane burnishers running with that same engine.

I never burned anything down today. Just need to make a few minor adjustments on the carburperator.

It worked well.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Back when propane was significantly cheaper than gasoline we had several propane fueled trucks and even more using propane heaters. The only issue was if the operator over-filled the tank the regulator could freeze up. The engines did stay very clean, but eventually as propane prices rose the lower mileage of propane took away the per-gallon cost savings, and the cost of the conversion kit no longer could be justified.

The fires I've seen were caused by letting the heater get dirty enough to have flames come out the sides of the case, poor installation of tanks inside the truck, operator smoking while fueling, and mostly pilot lights left on while fueling tanks mounted inside the truck. If you have a belly tank and no line leaks you have nothing to worry about using propane.

Bob Foster

I have two frame rail mounted tanks under the van body. One is vapor feed for the Briggs and the Little Giant and the other is liquid fed for the van engine.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
how often do you need to refill the tanks? and do you have to go somewhere special or just to walmart and get another tank? dont know anything about propane that is why i am asking.

Bob Foster

Look under the box of the truck. That's for the truck engine. I have another one about the same size I mounted on the other side for the truckmount and heater.
I figure I will be using about .6 gallons per hour of propane.

Ask Ron Werner what he is using because I should be about the same.

100_0293.jpg

Name
Nate W.
Bob Foster said:
Look under the box of the truck. That's for the truck engine. I have another one about the same size I mounted on the other side for the truckmount and heater.
I figure I will be using about .6 gallons per hour of propane.

Ask Ron Werner what he is using because I should be about the same.

100_0293.jpg

How come that van looks nicer than Ron's one? :)

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
The one thing I dislike about the belly is you can't keep them looking decent. The condensation and road salt make them rust badly. One I had became so pitted that I had to discontinue use.

Bob Foster

You will soon. It is a work in progress but almost done.

Here is a picture a from a few weeks ago with the stuff sort of in place
donein1.jpg

Here is back but the heater is in a different spot than shown. Where the heater is is where the filter box goes.
rearin.jpg

mixcenter.jpg

Bob Foster

Here you go - but it's not quite done yet - just about. Overhead shelves and hinged flip in side stairs and a little bit of paint on the tanks and bumper and back and that's it.

Once every thing has proper stowage there will plenty of room for floor machines and other bigger tools like spinners and wands.

TNT and Little Giant Propane
TNTheaterpropane.jpg

Truck propane
Vanpropanetank.jpg

Propane Carb converter
Propanecarbconverter.jpg

Propane starting dodad thingamagiggy
Briggspropaneswitch.jpg

Quarterdooropen.jpg

TNTaccess.jpg

Backshot-1.jpg

Give me a break - it ain't finished...
Messysink.jpg

Messyshelfandsink-1.jpg

EngineFan.jpg

FrontFan-1.jpg

Splashproofpanel-1.jpg

Mainelectricalshutoffsh-1.jpg

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
A spray can or two of Hammerite gray is all it takes to make your tanks look great and easy to clean. You can paint Hammerite right over the rusty sores if you want. If rock chips are the problem, a coat of paint-on bedliner will solve the problem.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
nice layout bob, is that heater as dependable as they say it is? and would it handle 6gpm? i ask this because i am currently retrofitting my second v and as with the first one will not be continuing with the heating oil exchanger so will be researching propane and other sources of heat.

oh yeah forgot to ask, does the doors have to stay open while heater is on or can you close them?

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
my 4ht keeps up quite well with 15flow, 500-600PSI. I'm not getting the outrageous heat as claimed by others, but its hot enough to burn me, at least 200-220. A little preheat and it would be blasting.

My LG exhausts into the box so when I close the doors, i have a fan sucking in cool air to cool the motor and another fan on the opposite top corner exhausting the hot air from the LG and motor.
Bob is venting his LG outside, just need to make sure there is an air source so the LG doesn't run out.

Greenie

15 flow @600 and gettin' anything near 200 deg. is awesome heat. Ron have you physically used your LG on it's maximum factory setting?

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Nope, never tried it maxed out. There is a silver notch, just past where it says WARM, that's where I usually keep it.
The gauge actually reads about 160-170 but it feels a hec of lot hotter. I've felt 160 and I've felt 200, there is a difference.

I have boosted it to the "T" in HOT, and it shows 240 after prespraying with HF. Goes lower when wanding.

Bob Foster

I have outside air blowing on the engine and another fan across the van exhausting air. I can now run it with the back door open about 6 inches now. It is possible to run it with the doors closed with a few inexpensive modifications just like on Ron's fan.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom