The down side of Spill Tech pad

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I guess for urine issues it's good to have for protecting your subfloor against contamination. But for flooding, it sucks. I have a place where the hotwater heater gave out and flooded about 30sqft of closet and entry. I got all the carpet dry but am spending a second day drying out the pad. Everything under that pad got no airflow due to the thin plastic 3M liner. Something simple turned into a 3-day adventure. I'm not big on this type of pad after seeing how is locks in the moisture.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
Run the numbers, equipment rental to dry the pad compared to the cost of pad. In either situation installation or reinstallation will have to be done.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Went back this morning and everything was dried out. Collected my fans and patched everything back together. I took a pic of the actual pad. It was some sort of Home Depot teflon stuff.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I guess for urine issues it's good to have for protecting your subfloor against contamination. But for flooding, it sucks. I have a place where the hotwater heater gave out and flooded about 30sqft of closet and entry. I got all the carpet dry but am spending a second day drying out the pad. Everything under that pad got no airflow due to the thin plastic 3M liner. Something simple turned into a 3-day adventure. I'm not big on this type of pad after seeing how is locks in the moisture.

View attachment 87271
Number 1 rule for scoping out a water damage. Pull the corner of carpet up to see what kind of pad is under it. MORON

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I bet you were stepping on your water claw, instead of pulling that pad like you should've.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger

View attachment 87271
And another reason I got out.

To many vapor barrier pads came out with the smart strand around here.

No more top down drying. Labor intense pulling pad soaking wet (and usually freezing cold wet around here)

At the end I was seeing these and pretty much having to tell people we were too busy to take this on.

Even saw carpets delaminating fast with water damage towards the end....

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
way too much effort to build a shop table. I just use framing joints and connectors. That would be built so fast. And plenty strong

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
way too much effort to build a shop table. I just use framing joints and connectors. That would be built so fast. And plenty strong
Oh i’m just beginning. All screws are counter sunk and holes will be filled with wood putty. The bench will be sanded and stained three times. Then four coats of urethane will be applied with 400 grit wet sanding between coats.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: JohnHawkP

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Oh im just beginning. All screws are counter sunk and holes will be filled with wood putty. The bench will be sanded and stained three times. Then four coats of urethane will be applied with 400 grit wet sandingbbwtween coats.
Now you're just making me mad. You're so busy with everything else in life, I'm starting to think you're needing an excuse to get away from the wife.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom