the emotions of a ringing phone..

Mikey P

Administrator
Muffy brought this up a while back and I thought it deserved more discussion.

As small biz owners I doubt one person here is above and beyond the joy of a full schedule.

When the phone is ringing and you can see you are busy two to three weeks out your attitude is good, you buy a case of juice instead of just one jug, you spend more when you go out for dinner, you relax more, sleep better and have better sex. or masturbate with extra vigor if you where a dorky cowboy hat

But winter is coming, the phones will take a day off, sometimes two and you'll start to kick the cat, yell at the wife for no good reason and start buying price shopping your suppliers once again.

so..

what do you tell your self when business slows down? Do you blame you lack of marketing effort or methods?

Did your price increase back fire?

Did the decision to stop dry stroking so much come back to haunt you?

Do you waste time and money with worthless campaigns and door knocking or did you stash away enough so you can hibernate all winter and play on Mikeysboard?

Does water damage keep you going?
What about your commercial accounts?

How many years went by from your start up where the finances and mind set are to the point that wintersand slow periods have zero effect on you?

Bob Foster

Bury your nuts for winter.

Take a winter vacation.

Keep doing good work.

Repeat each year until

You got nuts buried everywhere, someone else is doing your work and take a spring fall winter and summer vacation.

It's starting to feel more comfortable. When I have a slower day or two or even a week it comes back the following days or weeks. Personally I attribute my comfort level to good work and customer relations. The best work you can do and very importantly the best relationship you can build with each and every customer will pay you back in spades.

If you want to really want to heap on worry just add lots of overhead and or debt.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
If the weather gets crappy (and it will) I did the stash enough $$$$$$$$$$ that IDGAS.

Winter happens every year.

The schedule has been packed for the last 4 week and my best year over all.

Soon that will slow down to a drizzle.

My debt and overhead is very low. (Even thought I have guys that insist I shoud buy a new van. The old one is still kicking ass! Thank-you)

I'm just glad I don't have that $1000 a month phone bill, as I did for the first 20 years.

That was a lot of stress. Especially since, if the bill wasn't paid they shut off your business phone.

I'm in a very good position this year.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
A lot of time on my hands in the winter. It is a much needed break. If I start to get depressed or anxious I just open up my three dozen appointment books from the years past and see that everything always starts again in March and I will be begging for a break which doesn't happen again until winter. So quit your whining and enjoy some free time.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Art Kelley said:
A lot of time on my hands in the winter. It is a much needed break. If I start to get depressed or anxious I just open up my three dozen appointment books from the years past and see that everything always starts again in March and I will be begging for a break which doesn't happen again until winter. So quit your whining and enjoy some free time.

OR you could take up a hobby such as woodworking maybe?

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Here lately I hate the sound of the phone. I could always use the money and rarely turn down work but I’m ready for the winter. It seems like there will always be enough work to keep me busy. Now I just need some time to step back and think about how to streamline the operation.

The only thing scarier that it all ending tomorrow is the thought of pushing that damn scrub wand till I’m 70.

Chris A

Name
Chris
The first couple winters on our own were rough, mostly because of our lack of discipline. Last winter we had enough stashed so it wasn't too bad, this year should be a breeze...

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
ACE said:
The only thing scarier that it all ending tomorrow is the thought of pushing that damn scrub wand till I’m 70.

That's actually something I'm looking forward to. How many 70 year olds could do this work, physically, day in and day out? Or guys at any age? This job is the fountain of youth, plus you have hot women giving you money and admiring looks all day. I'm not going to be some weak pathetic old man sitting on his recliner waiting to die.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I actual am starting to become fond of winter. I have been building my vct aresonal for a couple years now. I get alot big strip and wax jobs in winter. I am hoping to scratch up a couple more grocery stores

Becker

Name
Becker
I get more stressed when booked out 2 weeks.

4 more weeks and I will be on the big island of HI.. No stress.

Jan, I will work some not as much, create for the new year.

I think veterans in the biz deal with seasonal slow downs much better than those less than 3 years in the biz.. Maybe 5 depending on how much of a go getter you are.

Ross Buettner

Name
Ross Buettner
I have a janitorial franchise operating before and now.

The rig was something else I started. So, really.. the CC biz isn't as great as I'd like it to be. I've really been relaxed and loose this year with it. I've gained a lot of hands on knowledge in the field, and a ton of info from here.

I'm ready to kick some butt in 2012.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
If you have been around the block more then once.... you start to see all the peaks and valleys and are more planed for them....

year after year after year....it rains...it snows ....its hot ..it cold....the only thing that changes is the house you pull up to......

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Every year is predictable. We've been taking advantage of more small commercial jobs or empty houses (in the evening) that me and the wife go out and knock off to pump up the bottom line because of the current economic state. My wife is more affected by the phones not ringing than me.

Able 1

Name
Keith
What bugs me when the phone are slow is when I'm in route for my morning soda I see Stanly Steamer driving around.. :evil: Why didn't they call me? It is real easy to get insecure about your Biz in the slow times... I raised my prices this year and haven't met any resistance.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I've been insecure during winter months. The last few years just taking it instride knowing that enough jobs will call. I've also learned not to advertise Jan to Mar.
This year has been a good test, first slow year in over a decade. Just made me rethink things a little.
All things in time.

Mike Draper

even though I have money saved for winter, I still hate sitting around. I enjoy working. I've been considering building another truck this winter. Does anyone want to buy mine?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom