The inconvenient OO question..

Mikey P

Administrator
If you broke your leg or had a heart attack or... and had to take at least two months off starting tomorrow, what's your game plan?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
That would be inconvenient. No plan, just go with the flow. Probably be calling up all my carpet cleaning buddies to see who can do what and with how much commission type of thing.

Reactions: Willy P

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Swan Dive off Shasta Dam

Shasta-Dam-Spillway-wide.jpg

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
You may want to think about eating healthier my friend

Stress and Secret Sauce are gonna make you go thumpity thump thump..
Actually, I have been. Lost 13 pounds so far and blood pressure is going down. Cut out most fast food and soda. I still have my days though. I sleep with one eye open. I have a $2 mil life insurance policy. For some reason my wife keeps me alive.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
If you broke your leg or had a heart attack or... and had to take at least two months off starting tomorrow, what's your game plan?
Phil carpets only!

Or I would hobble it out !with a helper.

I would of course bitch the whole time.

Reactions: Nomad74

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Actually, I have been. Lost 13 pounds so far and blood pressure is going down. Cut out most fast food and soda. I still have my days though. I sleep with one eye open. I have a $2 mil life insurance policy. For some reason my wife keeps me alive.

Opportune moments!

My wife always watching murder mystery life time for women.

And 20/20! Who dunit.

I just ask make it painless please.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
The question is one every working man or woman must confront.
Losing one income is a big deal for a couple unable to live on the second income.
It is devastating to a single income family.

Control what you can; insurances, safety shoes, prudent driving, weight, smoking, driving backcountry trails at high speed and so forth.

Cope with the rest.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Ok. Serious time.

A few times I’ve been down for the count and thought I was going out of business. When I had pneumonia and couldn’t get off the floor of a carpet I was stretching, When my Amtex kept breaking down, then when I cracked my pre-heat exchanger on my SS870. All very scary times for me.

Now that I have my Amtex back and all fixed up and installed in my other van, I’ve decided to keep it as my backup rig. This year I’m planning on growing my commercial production and hire a couple of heads of cattle and teach them the ropes. Mentally for me this is a huge barrier but I’m forcing myself through it.

I’ve been going door to door to large commercial business and so far the response has been positive. Been asked to write a couple of estimates. As soon as I lock in one biggie, I’ll put out the feelers for a helper. It’s my goal to build something scalable and keep the quality up. Fingers crossed.

Name
Ross Martin
O/O of if you have a JOB more or less the same.

Heard today where 60% of the population has less than $500 dollars in the bank.

Would fall behind, but survive a broken leg.

Death or long-term disability, another story.

Other than bills, the only debt I have is a $309.00 a month car payment. No mortgage.

steve_64

I shouldn't be working now. Fell on some ice at Bob Evans last night, just got back from chiropractor but he was no help. Going to get a Chinese massage at the mall and see if that helps, it usually does.

I'd be more lost without Genny. Not sure about now but my business insurance use to cover so much for list work.

steve_64

Ive been eating pickled baby beats to help settle my stomach. I'm also taking a new vitamin. Seeing a little difference from the vitamin but love the pickled baby beets.

Name
Swani
I have disability insurance and credit life on my loans. The railroad provides me with a short term disability plan the covers 80% of earning for 6 mo. And a long term that covers 60% for anything longer then 6 mo.

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl

Brandi better learn quickly...

Thats why i trying other business avenue.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
It's not just the owner-operator, our whole industry is made up of very small companies. None of us like to think about what will happen to our families if something happens beyond our control. I know for the first time in a very very long time I am concerned that everything might not be alright even though I know no matter what I have done my best to make sure my wife and kids will be ok it's still a worry I can't shake. Make sure you have as much as you can control taken care of, it is scary to plan for being disabled or even dead but it's a real possibility to become disabled doing what we do and we all are going to die it's just a matter of how and when. Growing old sucks but not growing old sucks even worse..

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Been there done that in '92 when I crashed and smashed the fook out of the van/tm and my BODY
two small kids and sole family income provider

Intensive care unit to surgery to step down room for a 7 day stay
Then home in a hospital bed for a month

I qualified for temp SSI
Which was barely enough to pay house payment and utilities

In-laws helped financially or we'd of been in the soup

Insurance on van/tm was enough to put together a cobbled unit and pos van
Forced my crippled azz out of the bed after a month to make the van and unit happen

Got fortunate to find a man
A clueless, backwards as hell 21 year old that lived with his parents, but was straight laced, clean cut and able bodied AND would work for peanuts (all I could afford to pay)and couldn't afford that

and hobbled around in great pain for the next year determined Id never go back to being completely dependent on my own body as my only source of income

I'm still a BD, but as long as I'm able to use a fone, I can make it

..L.T.A.

Mikey P

Administrator
2016. 22 days in the hospital. 400k in hospital bills. Two surgeries. No insurance for the first surgery. If you need advice on how to do it wrong I'm your man. Things are settle down now though

Wasn't there a Go Fund Me account set up for you?

So you survived, excellent!!!

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
I had 2 months off with Hurricane Irma and it sucked. Have 3 months operating cost now put away since and going to keep that going.
Was stressful and a wake up call.

Braden bell

Name
Braden bell
Yes. Raised about 5k. I got alot of other help from friends and family. Thankfully about 60% of our income is janitorial that my wife can handle. We were rocking things in our little town 7 days a week. Just getting ready to finally hire help.
Now my wife works about 30 hours a week and I'm a disabled bum

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
My injury, hopefully my only injury I'll ever have, was back in '97 when I was a stupid kid. It knocked some sense into me and now that I'm missing a little part of my brain (hopefully my stupid part), I have some disability insurance, funds to support the fam for a couple months, and insurance coverage up the wazoo.

But, just like Ross said, this is no different than having a job. If you're out of work, you're out of work. Prepare the best you can and think before you move

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
My wife will cover all of the bills again, just like we originally set up in the beginning.

If I'm bad enough, they pull plug she finds a another guy and moves on....

Life isn't Easy nor tolerable for the most part....

But we Do it our best

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom