THE LISA HOTSEAT THREAD

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Hi Lisa, and welcome! Thank You for helping make history on the MikeyBoard Ribber Room HotSeat......

I'll start this out and then when ever you can... jus jump in and answer...this COULD stretch out over some time so don worry about keeping watch on the thread! Others can chime in....at any time!

To start this off...i'll ask how and when you first got into carpet cleaning...in other words...WHAT would make a perfectly sane person wanna do this....kinna work?

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
June 1987. My second child was three months old. I got a lead on a property manager who needed housecleaners for VA repos. It included cleaning the whole house, in and out and the carpet and hard floors as well. I started out renting a commercial porty from my local jan/san store, then I bought a used porty from the rental fleet, then over the years I got better and more powerful units.

It was great, I could take my kids with me, schedule my own hours, work at my own pace.

By late 1997, the housing market in SoCal was booming and there were few repo's. I didn't worry much because my husband had a "real" job and I had weathered market fluctuations in the past. Then in January 1998 my husband died suddenly and I had to decide what I was going to do......so, I took the life insurance policy, bought a new Chevy van and a TM and started marketing carpet cleaning to the residential market.

Take care,
Lisa

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Wow...that HAD to be tough....it reminds me of the old saying that when the the going gets tough........
Ok fast forward.....we all wanna know HOW you met Jeff errrrr....Greenie!
DETAILS please.......and WHEN was the infamous pole involved......? Or was that jus glamour publicity....?

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Jeff and I "met" on the BB's.

He came out from HI for a visit and took me up to meet John G. (he was a padder then). We saw each other again at Winterfest (before it became Mikefest), and began to correspond and talk on the phone more, he came for an extended visit, then a month later he came to stay.

As for the pole dancing....I was a bikini dancer at the Pink Lady in the Palm Springs area for several months in 1991. I met my husband Greg there (#3, the one who died), he was the DJ. I did it for income supplementation when the repo market was slow. It was one of the most interesting jobs I've ever had. I learned more about the good and bad in people there than I did anywhere else.

Take care,
Lisa

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
OK...i jus HAD to ask that one.....!

OK guys......now yor chance.......i'll catch up wit every one here tomorrow.....thanks Lisa...this is gonna be funer than a bag O cats!

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
I guess one thing I would want to know, is if you were ever afraid going out to clean carpets on your own with all those weirdos out there? How do you know you carpet cleaning customer doesn't have somebody in their basement already "Silence of the Lambs" Style? Did you carry pepper spray?

What got me thinking about this is the Mormon Missionary girls that have been going around my friends neighborhood. Walking through the slummy area all prettied up knocking on doors and asking to come in.... Looks to me like they are asking for trouble.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Back a year, or may be two, when John's Custom Heat Exchangers first came out with the Big Daddy, there was a lot of buz on the unit, and Greenie was talking a bunch about it. Now that has all died down.

Do you two still think it is a good purchase?

If not, then what's wrong with it?

Is the new Magic Wand unit just a Big Daddy with a cat face on it?

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Steven Hoodlebrink said:
Lisa,

In your opinion what tool, machine or product would you consider the best tool of the 2000's. Besides any that you or Greenie have manufactured.

Why and how has it benefited this industry?

Undoubtedly it's the internet and bulletin boards. Nothing has done more to educate cleaners, suppliers and manufacturers alike in this industry. It has allowed the spread of knowledge, ideas, tips, tricks, camaraderie, instant product feedback, awareness, and given the individual cleaner a national, even global voice in our industry.

BUT if you don't count your computer as a tool, I'd say there are a few pivotal tools:

RX20 - and it's progeny, most designed by Cliff Monson I know it's not from the 2000's but it made a huge difference.
Turbo Tile tool and it's evoloutions.
Tess - and new drying technology
Cimex and OP technology for commercial cleaning

Two of my personal favorites - the Hydroforce and CoolCuffs.

Take care,
Lisa

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
B&BGaryC said:
I guess one thing I would want to know, is if you were ever afraid going out to clean carpets on your own with all those weirdos out there? How do you know you carpet cleaning customer doesn't have somebody in their basement already "Silence of the Lambs" Style? Did you carry pepper spray?

What got me thinking about this is the Mormon Missionary girls that have been going around my friends neighborhood. Walking through the slummy area all prettied up knocking on doors and asking to come in.... Looks to me like they are asking for trouble.

I have worked in some really nasty neighborhoods alone, especially when I did foreclosures. I've honestly never been afraid and never had a problem with anyone. In fact people were always kind and helpful. I never carried pepper spray or a weapon of any kind. I never even locked up the house or van/truck while working.

Take care,
Lisa

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
admiralclean said:
Back a year, or may be two, when John's Custom Heat Exchangers first came out with the Big Daddy, there was a lot of buz on the unit, and Greenie was talking a bunch about it. Now that has all died down.

Do you two still think it is a good purchase?

If not, then what's wrong with it?

Is the new Magic Wand unit just a Big Daddy with a cat face on it?

An 8 cylinder slide in TM has tons of cool points, a 350 is cheap and easy to work on and reliable, big blowers are the bomb.

But with gas as high as it is, and federal and state govt's cracking down harder and harder on emissions, it's probably not really practical in the real world for more than a very few people.....I'd still give my left arm to have one though...the gearhead in me will never die.

I'm not familiar with Taf's unit, so I couldn't comment on it.

Take care,
Lisa

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Brian Luddy said:
Lisa, when you were on the truck.....what wand was your favorite and why?

Rotovac and glided Ti wand.

NOTHING cleans better than an original RV, nothing...it may be slow, it may leave the carpet soaked, it may have a lot of issues, but that son of a bitch can clean like nothing else.

I enjoyed the way the Ti wand handles, it was light and nimble and sucked like a $2 whore. It was very comfortable to me. I always preferred hole glides.

Take care,
Lisa

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
" light and nimble and sucked like a $2 whore"

Damn girl...that almost made me fall outta my chair...this is too great!

Mikey P

Administrator
Please describe your dream date of twenty five years ago and also today?

Who, what, when, where and how?

I've turned off the PG17 filter for the next 24 hours.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Morning all.....

Yes Lisa...as much as Mikey may be interested in the prurient nature of yor youth....i will cut to the chafe here......

GOT ANY PICS?????

OH i'm jus kiddin'....kinna!

My first question of the day is:

That little blond girl that we see givin' the finger......

is that REALLY you? It COULD BE......!

and when did you FIRST discover that God is Imaginary....?

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Mikey P said:
Please describe your dream date of twenty five years ago and also today?

Who, what, when, where and how?

I've turned off the PG17 filter for the next 24 hours.

25 years ago - Geez, A horseback riding camping adventure in the mountains would have been ideal. Someone who was intelligent, easy going, non-smoking, non-drinking, and a hellion in bed.........

Today - Same as 25 years ago, it would kill me, but I'd die happy.

Take care,
Lisa

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
bob vawter said:
Morning all.....

Yes Lisa...as much as Mikey may be interested in the prurient nature of yor youth....i will cut to the chafe here......

GOT ANY PICS?????

OH i'm jus kiddin'....kinna!

My first question of the day is:

That little blond girl that we see givin' the finger......

is that REALLY you? It COULD BE......!

and when did you FIRST discover that God is Imaginary....?

No, it's not me. Just a pic I found on the internet. I love her though. Actually, I was a pretty good kid and my parents would have killed me if I had ever made a gesture like that.

As for god: When I was 6 I received a children's bible for Xmas, I read it cover to cover in one day (I was a voracious reader as a child. I read the dictionary for fun, detested most children's literature, and read far above my grade level) I enjoyed the book.....as a work of fiction, but when my mother told me the stories were true, I told her there was no way. It was an entertaining set of stories, but it just never made any sense to me in a literal or even quasi-literal way. I didn't believe in santa claus either. I guess I was born a skeptic.

Take care,
Lisa

G

Are you where you would like to be in your business? If not, where would you like to be? Multi truck? A Vortex equipped with a Roto Vac? In the office and NO Carpet cleaning? A thinner more fit husband?

j/k Greenie! :lol:

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Josh said:
Are you where you would like to be in your business? If not, where would you like to be? Multi truck? A Vortex equipped with a Roto Vac? In the office and NO Carpet cleaning? A thinner more fit husband?

j/k Greenie! :lol:

No, I'm not where I would like to be with the business. We won't even be able to begin bringing it to a level we would be happy with until the HRI monkey is off our backs.

Jeff and I have quit or fired each other 1,000 times, working with a spouse or other family is extremely challenging. Business issues work into the personal relationship and personal issues infiltrate the business relationship.

Take care,
Lisa

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I'm teaching the rest of the week, and am on lunch break right now.

If I could ever convince you to be a trainer (you'd be great!)
what things would you want to say in class that you've never heard said, and wish the trainer would tell the students (assume no IICRC policing is involved!)

Scott

Hi Lisa -

How is the HRI ordeal coming along? Will it be over soon and what do you expect will happen?

Our industry owes you and Greenie a debt of gratitude for fighting the good fight.

Scott

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Jim Pemberton said:
I'm teaching the rest of the week, and am on lunch break right now.

If I could ever convince you to be a trainer (you'd be great!)
what things would you want to say in class that you've never heard said, and wish the trainer would tell the students (assume no IICRC policing is involved!)

I guess it would depend on what the subject I was teaching was. I'd like to see much more in-depth classes on low moisture cleaning which I feel is not taught well enough. Too many guys know just enough to get them in trouble. Current classes do not teach or address these methods well at all.

The industry has experienced a huge jump in chemistry, technology and methodology and current training available does not adequately address or explain it. In fact, most instructors today are not up on the newest information, they have never used it, and if they are even aware of it, they often don't fully understand it. At this point the bulletin boards and a very few progressive suppliers are the only sources for the latest information.

I would stress that while technical knowledge and the best chems and equipment will make you a better cleaner, it won't make you a successful business. Of all the instructors I've ever had, only Doug Heiferman pushed that learning how to run a business is more important than how good a cleaner you are. We need a lot more GOOD business classes for new owner/op's.

I would also stress that we are a part of this industry and have an obligation to see that it represents us well. It is our duty to help bring the level of service and professionalism up, to push for better representation with the mills, retailers and consumer groups. And to be watchdogs of our associations and certifying bodies. We can't blame these entities for poor performance, inbreeding, self-serving, etc. if we remain fractured and apathetic. Get involved, ask questions, don't be afraid to rock the boat once in a while. If the boat can't take a little rocking it aint seaworthy.

Take care,
Lisa

Mikey P

Administrator
What did your prior career teach you about the heart and souls of your average man?

Are those "average" men?

Would you ever date or marry a guy who would frequent a strip club?

As much as I love boobs I feel real uncomfortable in that atmosphere.
Mostly due to the creepiness of the"men" there. Followed by the pity, guilt and shame I associate with the younger girls.

For you what would be more degrading, wraping your leggs around a Stage Poll or a Stanley Steamer wand?

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
OK.....following that thought....one time we was cleaning a local gentlemens club early on Sunday morning......so i thought it would be funny to offer my helper some money...to lic the pole!

10 bucks and i got a great story to tell to yous all here!

It was worth the ten bucks to see him wash his tongue off under the faucet.........

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Scott said:
Hi Lisa -

How is the HRI ordeal coming along? Will it be over soon and what do you expect will happen?

Our industry owes you and Greenie a debt of gratitude for fighting the good fight.

Scott

Our case is doing REALLY well at the moment.

Mytee's case is moving along like a freight train in the right direction.

I would expect to see either of these cases wrapped up in the next 3-4 months.

Dri-Eaz's case, while doing fine, is about a year behind the others.

Once one of these cases puts the disputed patents in public domain, all cases will be over. That is the direction all are heading at this point.

I can't wait to forget everything I've learned about patent law.

Take care,
Lisa

Bob Foster

Why Lisa, the way I figure it you and Greenie have quite a few more inventions up your sleeves.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Mikey P said:
What did your prior career teach you about the heart and souls of your average man?

That men are far more fragile emotionally and ego-wise than women.

Mikey P said:
Are those "average" men?

The "regulars" are not average at all. The rest are a mix of regular guys in a vulnerable time in their lives, out to party with the guys, or just curious.

Mikey P said:
Would you ever date or marry a guy who would frequent a strip club?

I met Greg, my late husband, at the club, he was a DJ/Bouncer there. But as far as customers, I don't think I would want to date or marry a guy who frequents strip clubs.

Mikey P said:
As much as I love boobs I feel real uncomfortable in that atmosphere.
Mostly due to the creepiness of the"men" there. Followed by the pity, guilt and shame I associate with the younger girls.

The Pink Lady was a bikini bar. Not topless or nude, so we didn't get the real creepo's. What most people assume is that that dancers are (or should be) degraded by the work. That's all wrong, that work gives a woman a sense of power and control that is addicting. I saw many girls who stayed, not for the money but for the rush. It's a very potent power trip. If anything I always saw it as degrading to the men who were willing to pay for the illusion that these girls had any interest in them whatsoever and/or to see a little skin.

Mikey P said:
For you what would be more degrading, wraping your leggs around a Stage Poll or a Stanley Steamer wand?

There are 2 P's in wrapping and 1 G in legs. It's pole not poll. I never wrapped my legs around a SS wand, and don't know why anyone but Clood would. So assuming you mean which job is more degrading I would say neither. Both had their good points and bad points, but CCing was a far healthier environment in all ways.

Take care,
Lisa

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom