The most depressing part of mailing reminders

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Every time I mail reminders, after two weeks or so, I get the depressing/dreaded return yellow label from USPS:
"Return to sender. Unable to forward."

Yikes!
Oy Vey!
............................. you fill in the blank with your favorite ethnic curse/slur of choice.

On days like those I feel like: Why bother?
Where is my pound of sand? I think the ostriches are on to something :p

Is this mostly a large metropolitan area thing, or do the rest of you get it too?

Connor

Name
Connor
Welp, you can always google their name or check your county GIS for their name to see where they moved to.

Becker

Name
Becker
I just did a mailer.

And yes got a lot back, moved expired.. But it had the fwd address on the label..
So for those that moved within my service area I just updated the info.
Those that moved out of the area were deleted, and those that just came back with no fwd address, or unable to deliver. I put that client in inactive..

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Getting those cards back is a GOOD thing.

It allows you to update your data base before the next mailing.

It also reminds you that you should of been collecting Email address to help to avoid snail mail all together.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Many clients here, specifically do not want email sent to them.

And there is something 'Classy' about snail mail.

With all the rush for the newest and snazziest, retro, done right, is a powerful statement.

G

greentech

Ofer Kolton said:
Many clients here, specifically do not want email sent to them.

And there is something 'Classy' about snail mail.

With all the rush for the newest and snazziest, retro, done right, is a powerful statement.

With the green thing, you can always tell them how your saving trees, etc by using email.

At the same time keeping at least a dollar a pop in your pocket. How many do you get returned per mailing?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
It's a good point about saving the trees.
I'd probably do both. It's a good way to keep your company's name alive in their mind.

I don't know the exact number of letters sent.
It was a reminder letter. I think I sent about 60-80 (I may be wrong about the total,) 6 came back.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I can send through a mailing company that has software to locate forwarding addresses and update my database.

I look at the returns and see it as a way to clean my database. I've gotten calls or emails from people asking to be taken off...fine. When there are 1000+ on my mailing list, I don't mind weaning it down a little to the ones that WANT to hear from me.

Connor

Name
Connor
Ofer Kolton said:
Connor, my county GIS?

It's short for Graphic Information System. Most county and municipalities keep a public register of online property owners. Google the name of your county or city GIS and it should come up, then do a parcel search by name or address. It doesn't show renters information, but it does show the name of the property owner.

It lists how long they've owned the property and also the selling price.

Connor

Name
Connor
Ofer Kolton said:
Chris, I checked it. Neat.

Won't work for me though, as almost all of the returns are renters.

Ahhh, It works for me, I don't work on rentals if I know the owner hasn't given the OK for work to be done.

Get this app for your phone:

http://poynt.com/

Enter in the missing renters phone number and see if their new address pops up.

But yeah, like it was stated above. Get their email addresses too.

PCCN

Always get back numerous mail with this dreaded yellow label on it. Knowing I just went to the address a couple days earlier I know the USPS screwed up. Yet, when I have taken it to them and they see it was their mistake, of course I have to put postage on it again. Seems like a scam to me.

Also agree with one of the previous posts: most of my customers do not want any emails from us either. Like us all, they get tons of crap sent and don't want to filter through it.

Connor

Name
Connor
PCCN said:
Always get back numerous mail with this dreaded yellow label on it. Knowing I just went to the address a couple days earlier I know the USPS screwed up. Yet, when I have taken it to them and they see it was their mistake, of course I have to put postage on it again. Seems like a scam to me.

Yep. I've had that same thing happen with post cards and thank you cards. Always with presorted stuff, too. A couple of times they came back were in the same sequential order that they were sorted and mailed. I confirmed the address to the customer and then called the post master, but couldn't get a straight answer as to why they said the address was incorrect, when it wasn't.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom