The Ole MikeFestival of lights.........

Mikey P

Administrator
So Art..

All the constant comments I get about what a great job my guys did are the customers way of saying they would rather have me?

Mikey P

Administrator
And just to be clear my definition of an owner op is no helper, answers the phone himself.

I'll talk method, theories, and chemicals all day with you guys but I won't encourage you to stay a lone wolf.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Chris A

Name
Chris
My .02

I am an owner op, only one on the truck. Bacause my wife answers the phone I have the luxury of being able to push the wand 5-6 days a week, and as long a days as I need to in order to not get behind. Every year we figure out a way to get a little more business done without adding somebody but we're really tapped out now, even in the winter. I have made some bad hires that caused me to just say F it and go out on my own for the last year and a half. Like most, I have a mortgage, car and toy payments, some money in the bank but not a long term solution if I get really hurt. I can only hope I get killed if in an accident so the life insurance kicks in, until I get the right guy(s) on board with me. Private disability ins. is a joke!

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
And just to be clear my definition of an owner op is no helper, answers the phone himself.

I'll talk method, theories, and chemicals all day with you guys but I won't encourage you to stay a lone wolf.

You have no Idea how bad I wanna start welding stuff right now, the suspense is killing me.

Just the thought of the security in it all, having a back up everything. Looking down the road I can forsee upgrading from Sole Proprietorship, it's Risky otherwise.

F

FB7777

My first conversation at Mikefest in the VFW hall was with Ofer during Tom Kings presentation. He chooses to be a lone wolf and it sounds like the dream organization for his personality, goals and tolerance.

Lots of guys like that and absolutely nothing wrong with it, your business your rules

But it does come with a few caveats, such as health or injury issues .

Tom's talk was incredible, you can tell this guy has had considerable training in the sales process and really understands the principles of business

I can see where some of the info would not be applicable in a presentation geared towards growth, especially if you are determined to stay small and keep it all.

My take is to , at bare minimum , get yourself a reliable helper and pay them extremely well. Understand that you will need to replace this person many times over your career.

Ideally get a full timer , work together or on that second truck that everyone should have as a backup

You'll turn down less work, be less fatigued and more focused on asking for the additional work that will ultimately pay for your employee and put extra money in your pocket

And put that extra money in a SEP IRA so you don't have to do this til you drop

I apologize for past transgressions of thinking that being a lone wolf is a terrible way to go.

I still believe it is tho :stir:

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I'm a good example of who Mike was talking about, I think. Even though my wife answers the phones, does most scheduling, and is a big asset to our social media marketing. If the Kid goes down, this thing is in real trouble.

We all have our own strengths, weaknesses, personalities, financial opportunities, etc.. It is a difficult thing to go from almost nothing to a multitruck operation without a substantial financial push from the outside (including a wife who makes good $ and has great health insurance).

Everyone's life is very different. We had Max (will be 4 next week) and decided to have Mel leave her very well paying job in sales in order to raise him the way we wanted to. This meant me working as full time "Lead Custodian" at the community college almost 67 highway miles away. It offered excellent benefits and the stability of a steady paycheck. These came in very handy when I fell off my motorcycle and broke my Tibia and Fibula and spent @ 3 months on the couch or hopping around the house on 1 leg.

I left that job almost 2 years ago. It IS STRESSFUL at times but I think I made the right choice. I greatly prefer being on the truck to setting up sales routes for myself. This probably limits our growth but I have to be who I am and grow to hopefully be a better me. I think about "What happens if I go down?" Every day. We carry high deductible health insurance but a big accident or illness would be trouble.

My business IS my retirement plan right now. I don't have a rich dad or uncle or anyone to help me do this (except my wife but she doesn't bring $ to the table). At this stage in our biz, I'm trying to set a precedent of quality and high level of service. I'm doing a fair job at that for now.

The real challenge is what's next? My vision is to have a smaller (2-3 truck) operation that won't be completely dependent on me. There will be a day when "The Kid" isn't a kid anymore and will want to get off the truck. I think I have quite a while before that happens. I couldn't believe how old Boyle was when he told me. Saiger is the same way. Going strong way later than a lot of guys think possible.

The real challenge is moving the value from "me" to "TCM of Iowa". One day I hope to sell TCM and I won't go with it. The value has to stay with the biz or I won't get a whole lot from my hard work.

The other way this thing goes is one (or both) of my boys wants into the biz. Nothing would make me happier but they will have to be developed so I'm not on the truck when I'm 80. This is a great topic that probably deserves it's own thread. I just wanted to give my 2 cents.

It was so helpful talking to so many guys with so many different strengths (and weaknesses) at MF.

The Clean Machine

F

FB7777

Enjoyed our brief chat Friday night at the hotel Russ. Reminds me of when I was starting out. Janitorial saved my ass in the early days , just like Chavez.

Anyways, PM your cell sometime Ill send you mine. If you ever have a question or idea you want input on lemme know bud

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Enjoyed our brief chat Friday night at the hotel Russ. Reminds me of when I was starting out. Janitorial saved my ass in the early days , just like Chavez.

Anyways, PM your cell sometime Ill send you mine. If you ever have a question or idea you want input on lemme know bud

Will do, thanks brother.

The Clean Machine

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
My first conversation at Mikefest in the VFW hall was with Ofer during Tom Kings presentation. He chooses to be a lone wolf and it sounds like the dream organization for his personality, goals and tolerance.

Fred you :stir:.

:winky: - What tolerance? I'm a freaking liberal.

I don't think that any thinking O/O is not aware of his financial risk and limitations.
Right or wrong, by choice or by default, the majority of MB members are and will stay O/O's

If one wishes to help, a good choice will be helping them run the most efficient and financially successful operation. It will also include making them aware of the risk in staying solo.

So the point you're making about the risk is well made and important.

However, and I have a secret for you: If they don't learn how to run their solo operation well, their multi-truck operation will not be run well either.

As a matter of fact, their mistakes as solo runners will be magnified not reduced when they expand. Not all good cleaners are good managers, it's a different talent. Recognizing ones strengths and weaknesses is hard, yet extremely helpful.

If they run a good solo operation well, soon enough they will need to make a decision about which way they're going. Not everyone is Tom King and not everyone is Art, I respect that.

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave

Janitorial can be a great safety net. Its good money and guaranteed steady income year around.

In the winter months its there bringing in an income when the phone stops ringing because of the snow on the ground.

Wing It

Supportive Member
Name
John Wingfield
Tom King has a wonderful set up. He is the excellent business side and it seems his son is the excellent technician side. Most carpet cleaning businesses seem to be one or the other. What I mean by that is I see businesses with either excellent technicians running the show but so-so management or excellent managers running the show but so-so technicians. Since I am not great at either, I am hoping that I can at least be "good" at both.

Reactions: TomKing and Russ T.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
My wife stayed at home until my kids were in there teens. It does make for solid grounded children if that's they way you choose to do it.

Too many cleaners get caught up in the thick of thin things (vacuums, prespray, lint filter, wands). Focus on sales and it makes everything much easier. Quality work is a given, you have to back what you sell but cleaning is the easiest of the two.

You get a steady stream of work coming your way and life can become really good. :winky:

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
Scott

Your earlier (edited) statements about wishing there was more time spent for owner operators had my thinking about the answer all day...while I worked by myself. (I give my guys Mondays off so they have two days in a row, and today really sucked...$1319 but sucked)

I don't want to encourage guys to be lone wolf O'O's because I think it's a stupid idea if they are the sole provider for their family. It's dangerous, short sided and irresponsible. Get injured and the shit hits the fan. So I wont be giving speeches about how to stay one truck. Want me to talk technical? I suppose but there are far better than me to do that.

You did really surprise me with the owner op statement as I find OO's to fall into a few categories.

1.Wife with job and benefits, O'O is on the hook to bring in some cash but the bills will get paid regardless.

2.O/O is un-hirable, sort of creepy and has no other choice aside a like pool or window gig. No one will work as his helper and repeats are rare. Works himself into the grave with nothing to show for his efforts.

3.Start up O/O, who is on his way to employees and more trucks. Could go in any direction, is all ear and eyes.

4.Bitter O/O, tried the employee and trucks thing and thought he could get over being a #2 and is right back where he started, pissed and hating life and carpet.

I figured you were a 3, please correct me if you are a 1 cause I know you're too smart and presentable to be a 2 or 4.

Anyways glad you came but sorry you were not as happy as everyone else appeared to be.

OUCH!

I wish there was a 5th category. :)

BTW, this Mikefest was one of the most enjoyable events I have attended. Even though some of the information presented was not in my wheel house at this point in my career, the views expressed by those speaking were priceless. Nothing to sell, not politically correct, just real world experience and advice. I was thoroughly enteretained too. My hat is off to you and all involved. And I came away with good deals on more toys. Thanks.

Loren

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Yes. Thank you Scott for all the tools and thank you very much for the handy fabric page. I love it.
Nice touch.

What accent?

Anybody knows what he's talking about?

Last edited:

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
I'm going to have to make it out to one of these as I've never gone to any of our tradeshows in my 18 years in the industry!

Looks like a lot of fun with cool people and fun toys for our industry

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
This was my first mf and have to say I enjoyed it. Just felt it was too fast, no homo- but I wish we had more hang around time and whatnot.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I'm going to have to make it out to one of these as I've never gone to any of our tradeshows in my 18 years in the industry!

Looks like a lot of fun with cool people and fun toys for our industry
it is and it goes so fast you hate for it to end. New friends, old friends and plenty of time to talk shop and tryout the new tools and machines.

FredC

Village Idiot
Just curious Mike....would there have ever been guys to let off on Monday if one wasn't your kid?

That seems to be quite common too. Would you have made the jump otherwise?

Mikey P

Administrator
I had three employees before my son was hired. He was a helper for a couple years before was ready to be the lead tech he is now

We are now grooming Ely to lead a truck.

Does that answer your question Fred?

FredC

Village Idiot
Almost. Were the three employees sent out on their own on a regular basis? Would you have considered them lead techs or just helpers?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom