the V has the Tranny Pros stumped..

Mikey P

Administrator
So, as you, may remember, my dip stick gasket went bad a few months back and and I lost enough fluid to cause a serious overheating/ failure. We had the tranny serviced and it was back in business for about a month before the internals failed and I had to have it rebuilt.
About a month went by and the valves stuck on something. The fluid was burnt as hell from overheating. While they were in there the replaced the torque converter and put an external in line filter to catch any tiny particulars that may have been missed.

Two weeks later the valves have stuck again, trapping me in 1st gear and the fluid is burnt again.

They are stumped. The cooler appears fine, every thing is functioning as it should.

They willing to replace the valve assembly but that does not explain the over heating...

Any guesses? ??

#FFBF00][/color]

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
sounding to me like it is have pump/circulation problems.....could also be the reason why when it gets hot the machine bogs down...the fluid my not be circulating...........

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
the torque converter is the pump and as it spins it circulates the fluid threw out a maze of chambers...when the tranny was rebuilt it was either not put together correct or something is clogged up and it is not allowing the fluid to circulate the way it should....the fluid circulates kinda like the radiator fluid does....it goes all thru different chambers in the transmission and back out to the a cooler on or around the radiator...( i believe the UD has its own separate cooler ) and back into the tranny....if it is not circulating then the fluid gets hot and burns...Transmission fluid is really a type of hydraulic fluid...once it gets burnt and broken down it no longer works the way it should...lack of circulation and a bad transmission that slips a lot in gear will break it down pretty quick....

torque converter/pump is still not good...
something is plugged some where...
or it was not put back together the right way....

thats my shot in the dark.....on what I think it may be due to everything you have said has been going wrong.....

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
They did put the same torque converter back on right ? If they put a new one on, it'll keep burning the tranny up.

FredC

Village Idiot
I'm still going with a speed sensor or other sensor issue. That or the connector at the cab going back to the tranny sensors.

Sensor malfunction causing the shifting issues which in turn cause the burnt fluid and other issues.........

I will be willing to bet you have some particals in the valve body that are causing you grief. I would do a flush and change the filter and fluid.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Since they put an inline filter in they should be able to confirm that there is sufficient flow through the cooler. I would do some sort of volume & pressure test to know exactly where I stood. Are they sure the inline filter isn't to restrictive?

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
the internal fluid pump is ran off the two "tangs" on the converter input.........when installing the converter....sometimes you have to rotate it till you feel the "tangs" engage.......otherwise it will NOT pump fluid correctly........

steve g

Name
steve garrett
you would not believe how few people actually know how to properly fix and automatic transmission. I can't tell you how many times I have seen people get their auto trans rebuilt and the thing never works right after that OR they keep having to get it rebuilt again over and over again. I don't know of anyone in my area that can actually rebuild an auto trans and have it stay together. Most shops merely R&R the trans, while another shop actually rebuilds it and then they reinstall the trans while marking up the cost of the rebuild and making money on that too. that is likely a big part of the problem. we had constant problems with the isuzu trannies in the NPR's where I used to work. in fact I never saw one last more than 35,000 miles, new or rebuilt. every year and a half those trucks would need a tranny, often times we would get one rebuilt and have it last a couple months take it back in and they would beer can and bailing wire it good enough to make it out of the warranty period then we would be stuck paying full tilt for yet another rebuild.

an auto trans is the most complicated system on a vehicle and one that is nerely more likely than not to get screwed up either by poor design in the beginning or by subsequent faulty rebuilds. heck alot of auto companies can't build or design an auto trans correctly, why would some wanna be mechanics be able to fix one right??? the GM 700r4 was a massive piece of dog crap, I have never seen one in any application make it to 100k miles. there is only one company on the planet I would trust to rebuild a trans and have it work and last better than the stock trans did. its a company called diesel transmission technologies, or DTT they build modded trannies to take anything a modded pickup diesel can throw at them. 1000 hp and 1500# of torque NO problem. unfortunately they are a canadian company and most of the time will not have anyone near you.

Connor

Name
Connor
My npr started slipping a bit for about a week and then suddenly bogged down at 50 mph then get slower and slower until it stopped, after it cooled down, it it would work again for a few miles. Next day we replaced the filters and fluid, not all of it, just what ran out of the drain and I haven't had a problem since. The owners manual said to change the transmission filters every 25k miles er sumthing, but I never read about that until it stopped working.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
How about taking it to the first shop that you thought was charging you to much. Maybe just maybe they know a thing or two the discount shop doesn't.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
That Recoil -Transit option is starting to look pretty good right about now, huh? !gotcha! Just buy a new one champ. It gives you great piece of mind. Or I can teach you how to be a world class POG.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
every 25k you are supposed to drop the pan replace the internal filter and replace the external filter. i'm glad i follow the book so closely. you'd be surprised how much gunk is in the bottom pan at the first fluid change and how much comes out after you drain the pan.

gene

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Mikey P said:
the 1st shop was going to farm it all out and the 2nd shop is NOT a discount shop and is very well respected in the area.
Whatever you have to tell yourself :mrgreen:

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I'm having my mechanic put in a new jasper tranny on my Savanna, should've done it last time when I decided to get one from the junkyard used w/ bs warranty, that was a year ago. I looked @ the cost for diesel vs gas on engine and trannies and was blown away at the price differences, most of the w4500/npr diesel engines are in the 8-10k range, while the gas is about the same price as a gm cargo van ($2500 range). The trannies for the diesels are also about double the cost of the gas ones.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
Jasper is absolutely in the business. Pay whatever they say and save the time.

I used to work for that company.

Name
Lee Stockwell
With our Ford diesel vans we learned the expensive lesson to not cut corners when replacing the trannys. They cost more because they have to handle the enormous torque of the 7.3 Powerstroke. They weigh twice as much as a gas tranny.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I had one rebuilt on my Chevy van at a shop and it was never worth a cr@p after that. So, after that died I went with a factory rebuilt tranny and I'm much happier.

Becker

Name
Becker
Dave Yoakum said:
I had one rebuilt on my Chevy van at a shop and it was never worth a cr@p after that. So, after that died I went with a factory rebuilt tranny and I'm much happier.

I bet they are hard to find for your classic.

Do you have the collector plates?

11-9.jpg

Becker

Name
Becker
Dave Yoakum said:
Actually my plates say- CALL ME

Brings a few jobs a month

I saw a guy sitting on a side walk last week in lawn chair..

Cardboard sign.. Lonely and phone number.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
back when my windstar tranny bit the dust, the local shop wanted 3 grand for a new trans. they were pretty unhappy when I bought one from these guys

http://www.rebuilt-auto-transmissions.c ... /home.html

and told them to install it. to top it off they left some cooling lines less than tight and it leaked again and actually ruined the fresh trans, fortunately this place sent out a new trans AGAIN at no extra cost. this time they got it in correctly and it worked just fine for over a year and a half. until we sold the van. if I needed a trans I would either have that DTT place do it or give these guys a call. it was also alot cheaper than 3 grand in the end and I feel like we got a better trans. I would recommend them, they are a company out of kansas.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom